IGNORED

Heh -the road not taken!

Tabonga

I had planned to go to a Dollar General store yesterday morning to get something.  I was going to leave the house about 9:00 which would have had me getting to the store at 9:20 or so . It was snowing so I decided to leave after rush hour (one snowflake hits the ground around here and everyone panics - thereby snarling traffic and impeding/annoying anyone who does happen to know how to drive in inclement conditions). I left the house a bit after 10 and when I got to the store the police were there in force with a crime scene investigation van and some news crews doing their thing.  They had the whole parking lot (which is pretty big) cordoned off with crime scene tape.

It turned out that someone shot two people in the store (for no apparent reason known so far) about 9:30 - which is exactly when I would likely have been there if things had originally gone to plan. So I could well have been a target also.  

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/2-shot-at-adams-county-dollar-general-store-suspect-at-large

Edited by Tabonga
  • Wow! 6

Events Team · Posted

Crazy!  Glad to hear that you weren't part of the action.  

I think about this kind of thing fairly often whenever my routine is interrupted or when I'm running late.  A couple weeks ago, we were up near Winter Park and running about 15 minutes behind our planned schedule.  

Berthoud Pass ended up being shut down all day due to a fatal accident.  Had we been on time, we would have been on that stretch of road almost exactly when the accident occurred.  Unfortunately an hour and a half ride home ended up being an 8 hour road trip to get home.  Still glad to not be a part of that one.

https://www.clearcreekcourant.com/stories/berthoud-pass-closed-by-fatal-head-on-crash,371560

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

Damn that's creepy. Don't let it affect you, but I'd probably be too scared to go anywhere if lived a place like that. 😮 

Like JamesRobot I often ruminate about things like that - if I had been early to something or later than I actually was I could have been involved in a car accident or whatever.   This is just a more serious (and concrete) extension of that line of reasoning. That area is slightly seedy (it is right across from a large trailer park) and is in a light industrial area but as far as I know it is not terribly problematic crimewise.  I suspect that this is the type of thing that could have happened anywhere - especially since there doesn't seem to have been any obvious motive.   

I rarely go to that shopping strip - we used to go fairly often to a great  Italian restaurant that was there but it moved much closer (fortunately) to our house. 

Edited by Tabonga

3 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

Crazy!  Glad to hear that you weren't part of the action.  

I think about this kind of thing fairly often whenever my routine is interrupted or when I'm running late.  A couple weeks ago, we were up near Winter Park and running about 15 minutes behind our planned schedule.  

Berthoud Pass ended up being shut down all day due to a fatal accident.  Had we been on time, we would have been on that stretch of road almost exactly when the accident occurred.  Unfortunately an hour and a half ride home ended up being an 8 hour road trip to get home.  Still glad to not be a part of that one.

https://www.clearcreekcourant.com/stories/berthoud-pass-closed-by-fatal-head-on-crash,371560

When I go to Denver West (a shopping area) I often take I-70 for a brief dog leg home - one day I was going to do that and before I got on I could see that there was a backup so I jettisoned that plan and went back home via Colfax.  I turned on the radio and before I got home (maybe a 10 minute trip) news about this came on:

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/semi-driver-faces-40-charges-in-connection-to-fiery-i-70-crash-that-killed-4

This was the very spot where I normally would have gotten on I-70 and I would have been caught in the traffic jam right there.  (The traffic jam is what gave the truck nowhere to go - with the result described.)

Edited by Tabonga
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

I vividly remember that one. Pretty devastating.  It happened about an hour before I got off work.  Probably half my employees take that route home.  Thankfully no one left early that day.

I went by the scene a day or two later and it was pretty sobering how trashed everything was.

I remember after the Sept 11th attacks that there was (at least) one person interviewed who was supposed to be on one of the flights, but the guy missed it... wow, ultimately you don't know! Glad you're all right, and these cowardly assholes who shot the customers totally fail at everything in life and I hope they're caught soon and fed to sharks. Well, I guess there are no sharks in Denver so fed to the wildlife of your choice!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jfreakofkorn said:

Welcome to my world in living in this shit hole of a city of new orleans . Every night its like 1 to 4 shooting(s) . And its like unsolved unless you put up a bounty for someone to speak up . I am just really glad you were nt hurt in any way . . . . . 

Dang... but kinda funny too.

Screenshot-from-2021-01-27-14-43-39.png

4 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I remember after the Sept 11th attacks that there was (at least) one person interviewed who was supposed to be on one of the flights, but the guy missed it... wow, ultimately you don't know! Glad you're all right, and these cowardly assholes who shot the customers totally fail at everything in life and I hope they're caught soon and fed to sharks. Well, I guess there are no sharks in Denver so fed to the wildlife of your choice!

Bears occasionally wander into the area via greenbelts.