IGNORED

Database of all systems?

When it finally comes time for a database/collection tracker, can we do all systems not just Nintendo? Seems obvious since it's not a Nintendo focused site but I haven't seen anyone talk about it. Unless I missed it. Also @Gloves I can volunteer to do data entry if/when necessary. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No database is complete without the Amstrad GX4000!

Jokes aside, I agree. Sega, Sony, Xbox, Atari, SNK, and NEC can use some love. I think it should be done one platform at a time though to prevent us from getting overwhelmed.

Maybe start with four or five platforms (eg NES / SNES / Master System / Genesis / Game Boy) and add as we go.

• Like 1

How else will I track my RCA Studio II games?

I didn't know that a database/collection tracker were planned for VGS. If so that's awesome! I contributed to the NA database a bit. But I agree, I would prefer if the site wasn't limited on which platforms were tracked.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

When/if you do might I suggest there be a way to delete double entries and such.  I did a bit over on the PlayStationAge database a while back and was always frustrating to come across double entries that can’t be deleted.

I worked on some ps1 stuff there and always ran into double entries, it was definitely frustrating.

27 minutes ago, B.A. said:

It's something we want to build, but it will be a community effort. I'm sure we will have a call for volunteers when it's time. The idea is to not limit it to Nintendo.

Is there any kind of time line or estimate on how long it could be?

Honestly, I have no clue how long something like that would take to be built and am curious.

1 minute ago, Bubbapauls said:

Is there any kind of time line or estimate on how long it could be?

Honestly, I have no clue how long something like that would take to be built and am curious.

To get started or finished? We could probably start it pretty soon. It will probably never be truly finished.

1 hour ago, B.A. said:

To get started or finished? We could probably start it pretty soon. It will probably never be truly finished.

MobyGames is STILL adding games from the past 50 years of gaming history and are constantly coming up with new and exciting projects (I think they recently hit a milestone on iOS games). MobyGames even has over 100 games made before 1972 (release of the original Magnavox Odyssey) and their archive extends as far back as 1950!

Even further than that though, there are things that are relevant that aren't archived like electromechanical sega arcade games, early pinball, all the stuff that pre-videogame era companies were doing (Nintendo, Bandai, Taito, Coleco, Magnavox, Sega, Tecmo, Konami), hell, maybe even bagatelle counts if you really focus on arcade gaming.

21 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

When/if you do might I suggest there be a way to delete double entries and such.  I did a bit over on the PlayStationAge database a while back and was always frustrating to come across double entries that can’t be deleted.

21 hours ago, Bubbapauls said:

I worked on some ps1 stuff there and always ran into double entries, it was definitely frustrating.

I had this same problem adding to the Switch database. Admittedly some were my fault but it drove me crazy that I couldn't fix it. Not to mention other little issues and glitches (the edit box data deletes release day glitch and not being able to type in a developer). I messaged Gloves about getting permissions on NA to fix it a while back but obviously the owner pretty much ignored him. 

22 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

No database is complete without the Amstrad GX4000!

Jokes aside, I agree. Sega, Sony, Xbox, Atari, SNK, and NEC can use some love. I think it should be done one platform at a time though to prevent us from getting overwhelmed.

Maybe start with four or five platforms (eg NES / SNES / Master System / Genesis / Game Boy) and add as we go.

I absolutely agree to add systems as we go. Start with the big ones and work our way through, there's no real rush. 

Also doing multi-quotes is soooo much easier here.

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
14 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I had this same problem adding to the Switch database. Admittedly some were my fault but it drove me crazy that I couldn't fix it. Not to mention other little issues and glitches (the edit box data deletes release day glitch and not being able to type in a developer). I messaged Gloves about getting permissions on NA to fix it a while back but obviously the owner pretty much ignored him. 

Yeah sorry man I wanted to get back to you but I had to keep a bit hush about it. None of that on here. We'll give it to ya straight.

10 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Yeah sorry man I wanted to get back to you but I had to keep a bit hush about it. None of that on here. We'll give it to ya straight.

Hey no hard feelings at all. It wasn't your fault. But you can make it up to me by letting me help out with whatever database you guys come up with when you get there 😋

Administrator · Posted
Just now, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Hey no hard feelings at all. It wasn't your fault. But you can make it up to me by letting me help out with whatever database you guys come up with when you get there 😋

We're happy to make our projects community-driven man. Whether it's a database or something else, we want this place to feel like home, not work. We'll make SOMETHING together.

If a DB is happening I can help with pictures of game carts, boxes and manuals. While I don't have complete sets I have over 2000 games mostly NES, SNES & N64. Probably over 600 boxes between NES & SNES. I also have time to help with inputting games into the DB as well.

Edited by Phyrexian Hulk