IGNORED

Manuals with rental games in the rental days?

Events Helper · Posted
11 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Yeah, I miss those guys too!

As far as I understand they are still active on a few other forums, and the Ultra HDMI N64 modding is keeping them busy too, covid related delays notwithstanding, right @Jeevan😱

ya, i haven't checked for a bit but the covid has hit the ultra modding hard......been over a year 😞  but i have faith it will be soon 🍆 and then i can stream some n64 games 😉 

• Wow! 1

6 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

ya, i haven't checked for a bit but the covid has hit the ultra modding hard......been over a year 😞  but i have faith it will be soon 🍆 and then i can stream some n64 games 😉 

Man, got all my digits crossed for you dude!!! Hope it speeds up super duper soon, can't wait to catch a few of your streams!!! 🐛

On topic, Gaming Historian did a video about the time Nintendo sued Blockbuster, and the photocopying of manuals was a BIG part of that suit: 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

As strange as it might seem coming from me, I've ctually been interested in picking up one of those things, should the availability (and potentially pricing) ever get any better.  Still not a fan of the default controller, but there's enough third party stuff that's come out in recent years that I'm sure I could much more easily get into some stuff should I pick one (or more) up.  Still, my RetroTink2x Mini has done a fantastic job for all the consoles I've plugged into it thus far, so making that sort of upgrade would probably be far fetched given the level of quality already in-hand.  If you still aren't quite able to get a straight up HDMI mod going, you ought to jump in on the same upscaler I'm using and go ahead and start streaming.  There's a bit of a quality bump from the HDMI mod, but not so much that most people would ever know, and certainly not enough to keep you from playing.

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
4 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

As strange as it might seem coming from me, I've ctually been interested in picking up one of those things, should the availability (and potentially pricing) ever get any better.  Still not a fan of the default controller, but there's enough third party stuff that's come out in recent years that I'm sure I could much more easily get into some stuff should I pick one (or more) up.  Still, my RetroTink2x Mini has done a fantastic job for all the consoles I've plugged into it thus far, so making that sort of upgrade would probably be far fetched given the level of quality already in-hand.  If you still aren't quite able to get a straight up HDMI mod going, you ought to jump in on the same upscaler I'm using and go ahead and start streaming.  There's a bit of a quality bump from the HDMI mod, but not so much that most people would ever know, and certainly not enough to keep you from playing.

only thing is that my capture is hdmi only so not sure what the retrotink is, but the ultra is obviously hdmi 😉  I hear the brawler is good, and if u pick up that controller, then i suggest buck bumble, @OptOut turned me onto that game, so enjoy if u can get a copy of it, cart only is about 10 bux or so.

1 minute ago, darkchylde28 said:

It's the Gamma boost dude! That's the real crowning feature of the Ultra HDMI mod IMO, cleans up and brightens SO many games that were previously murky as shit. Games like DOOM, Quake, Forsaken, Shadowman, Nightmare Creatures are almost entirely different experiences, night vs. day! Regardless of the game in fact, I usually keep the gamma on default 1.3, it looks so good!

Being able to resize the image at will is also a big plus, lots of N64 games had boarders which can be reduced or even removed entirely depending on your preference. And the fast-deinterlace mode is also a plus for those games that run at a higher interlaced resolution... Can you tell I'm a fan?! 🤣

23 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

only thing is that my capture is hdmi only so not sure what the retrotink is, but the ultra is obviously hdmi 😉  I hear the brawler is good, and if u pick up that controller, then i suggest buck bumble, @OptOut turned me onto that game, so enjoy if u can get a copy of it, cart only is about 10 bux or so.

The RetroTink2X Mini is the low end of their offerings which accepts composite and s-video in and outputs a properly scaled, lag-free* (I think 1 frame?) HDMI output.  They're around $70 shipped from the manufacturer, so if you've got more than one system that would meet those specs that you might like to play on a modern flat screen TV, monitor, etc., pick one up and go nuts.  At the moment I've only used mine with my SNES and Genesis/SegaCD (32X doesn't work due to very nonstandard signal, you need a different model for it or a separate upscaler cable), but the results have been fantastic.  It's not the purest or cleanest signal possible, but for being able to plug my systems up and just go, with them looking every bit as good as they would on a CRT, it's been a blessing.  Heck, it's even let me do on-the-go stuff with those systems since I've got a GAEMS case that I can lug around with me!

20 minutes ago, OptOut said:

It's the Gamma boost dude! That's the real crowning feature of the Ultra HDMI mod IMO, cleans up and brightens SO many games that were previously murky as shit. Games like DOOM, Quake, Forsaken, Shadowman, Nightmare Creatures are almost entirely different experiences, night vs. day! Regardless of the game in fact, I usually keep the gamma on default 1.3, it looks so good!

Being able to resize the image at will is also a big plus, lots of N64 games had boarders which can be reduced or even removed entirely depending on your preference. And the fast-deinterlace mode is also a plus for those games that run at a higher interlaced resolution... Can you tell I'm a fan?! 🤣

I'm not saying that the mod doesn't look better or that it doesn't have good/great features, just that if folks aren't able or willing to pull the trigger immediately, there's a reasonably priced, viable alternative for getting HDMI out of the system.  I've been interested in the mod ever since I first heard about it a bunch of years ago, but without better availability and probably a price drop, honestly don't know that I'd ever get enough use out of one to justify it.  Perhaps an EverDrive64 would help expand my horizons, but at the moment there's all of a half dozen or so games for the system that immediately catch my fancy.  For fans dedicated to the system who can afford one, I can see it as a must buy, but for folks who just want stuff to look decent and not be laggy on a modern display, there are other good options available.

• Like 2

Events Helper · Posted
13 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

The RetroTink2X Mini is the low end of their offerings which accepts composite and s-video in and outputs a properly scaled, lag-free* (I think 1 frame?) HDMI output.  They're around $70 shipped from the manufacturer, so if you've got more than one system that would meet those specs that you might like to play on a modern flat screen TV, monitor, etc., pick one up and go nuts.  At the moment I've only used mine with my SNES and Genesis/SegaCD (32X doesn't work due to very nonstandard signal, you need a different model for it or a separate upscaler cable), but the results have been fantastic.  It's not the purest or cleanest signal possible, but for being able to plug my systems up and just go, with them looking every bit as good as they would on a CRT, it's been a blessing.  Heck, it's even let me do on-the-go stuff with those systems since I've got a GAEMS case that I can lug around with me!

I'm not saying that the mod doesn't look better or that it doesn't have good/great features, just that if folks aren't able or willing to pull the trigger immediately, there's a reasonably priced, viable alternative for getting HDMI out of the system.  I've been interested in the mod ever since I first heard about it a bunch of years ago, but without better availability and probably a price drop, honestly don't know that I'd ever get enough use out of one to justify it.  Perhaps an EverDrive64 would help expand my horizons, but at the moment there's all of a half dozen or so games for the system that immediately catch my fancy.  For fans dedicated to the system who can afford one, I can see it as a must buy, but for folks who just want stuff to look decent and not be laggy on a modern display, there are other good options available.

if i hadn't prepaid for ultra i would totally spend money on it 😉 

@darkchylde28

Yeah well as big of an N64 fan as I am, I certainly wouldn't have paid eBay prices for the Ultra HDMI mod! Going straight to the source and getting it installed by a professional, like @Jeevan is doing is the way forward for sure!

I managed to get TWO systems done for under half the price of what ONE is selling for these days on eBay, and I feel #blessed for that reason I can tell you! 😄

If you missed the boat, however, I believe the next best option for N64 is the EON super 64 cable:

https://castlemaniagames.com/products/eon-super-6

Not cheap, at 149.99, but if I didn't have Ultra HDMI that's what I would use instead, personally, plus it has the advantage of being able to use it with multiple systems rather than just the single mod.

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
32 minutes ago, OptOut said:

@darkchylde28

Yeah well as big of an N64 fan as I am, I certainly wouldn't have paid eBay prices for the Ultra HDMI mod! Going straight to the source and getting it installed by a professional, like @Jeevan is doing is the way forward for sure!

I managed to get TWO systems done for under half the price of what ONE is selling for these days on eBay, and I feel #blessed for that reason I can tell you! 😄

If you missed the boat, however, I believe the next best option for N64 is the EON super 64 cable:

https://castlemaniagames.com/products/eon-super-6

Not cheap, at 149.99, but if I didn't have Ultra HDMI that's what I would use instead, personally, plus it has the advantage of being able to use it with multiple systems rather than just the single mod.

funny you ping me here, but dont chat with discord anymore 😒

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, OptOut said:

If Birdo identifies as female, then that's what she is dude! Don't matter whats on no birth certificate or instructions, sheesh! 😤

I want a little less transphobia and a little more understanding of the life choices and lived experience of weird Egg-shooting pink dinosaur creatures up in here, it's 2021 after all! 😄

you got me laughing this morning 😄 

• Thanks 1