IGNORED

BS - Bonus Stages

GPX

Complimentary to some of the main games, are the bonus stages, which can serve as fun diversions that arent a necessary means to complete a game. These bonus stages can be in various forms such as bonus screens, extra levels or mini-games. 

What were some of your favorite BS? Least favorite? Most memorable? etc.

I have 3 that instantly spring to mind:

1. Streetfighter 2 - the car crunching and barrels bashing BS; probably the most times I’ve seen in all my years of gaming!

2. Shinobi - throwing ninja stars at ninjas running all over the place; might be one of the most memorable BS of all time?

3. Sonic 1 - a colourful, psychedelic, rolling around a maze game to get a chaos emerald; very trippy!

Most my ideas were taken.  Capcom's gems found in Final Fight and Street Fighter II, and then Shinobi with the throwing star challenge along with Sonic but not 1, the half pipe in #2.

There have been a few others but they're fairly brief, such as the bottle break, ice break, etc stuff SNK did with earlier games like Art of Fighting and World Heroes style games as they're fun timed little mini games with a nice reward if you crack it just right and at the sweet spot for power too.

Also maybe less obvious, the card game you can pop up on the map in Super Mario Bros 3 was pretty neat for a decent sized memory match game with some serious obvious well loved help from being right.

• Like 1

There's the fun bonus stage in Balloon Fight where you have to pop all the balloons. You can get into a groove and it's pretty satisfying. There's a similar one in Mappy.

Lamest is probably NES Karate Champ where people usually die to the first thing that they have to punch or kick.

Golden Axe sort of has a bonus stage where you kick the little elves for items.

Agree with Shinobi. They're iconic as well as the voice saying "Welcome to bonus stage!" I've never been any good at them though.

Was Galaga the first game to have a bonus stage?

• Like 2

I used to play Mortal Kombat just so I could 'test my might'. It was so satisfying to break the diamond. It's funny looking back though as it's nothing more than rapid button mashing.

I know there are definitely a few games out there where the BS were just as fun as the actual game, if not better, just having trouble thinking of any more I really liked off the top of my head.

• Like 1