IGNORED

zip code list for gamestop store search

Lincoln

the mile value fudge doesn't seem to produce results when searching for product inventory. like i know that contra is here, so i can use the general store locator to pull up stores in a 500 mile radius (it works on that page). but picking a zip code from those results and plugging it into the contra search doesn't bring up the store that has it. seems like it might be capped at 100 server side.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

So goes GameStop actually have good prices for old cart games?  

GameStop is the only place I can find some game for cheaper than eBay or Amazon prices. The problem is only some games are considerably cheaper and they’re almost never in stock, especially at your local GameStop. They’re also slowly catching onto eBay and Amazon prices and increasing how much their older games cost. Look up solatorobo for the DS. That game used to be $15 at GameStop. It’s now $50. However, that is still way cheaper than the cheapest copy on Amazon for $400 game only or $500 on eBay with the case and manuals. I checked a couple zip codes near me in a 100 mile radius, but no copies of this game near me. 

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/more-platforms/nintendo-ds/games/products/solatorobo-red-the-hunter/10091778.html

I wouldn’t put too much effort into this I’m not sure about locally but GameStop.com has drastically reduced their retro section to basically nothing signaling them getting out of that game. It’s likely the local stores will stop accepting retro in the near future. 

I don’t work for or represent GameStop though

2 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

I wouldn’t put too much effort into this I’m not sure about locally but GameStop.com has drastically reduced their retro section to basically nothing signaling them getting out of that game. It’s likely the local stores will stop accepting retro in the near future. 

I don’t work for or represent GameStop though

It wouldn't be useful for retro at all. All that stuff is online only except for maybe a very few exceptions of test stores. They don't carry that stuff in store but this would be very helpful for searching for current inventory thats hard to find

current plan is to beat on the store directory page using the 500 mile trick to get a list of all stores. i have the methodology worked out, i need to hand build a list of zip codes to input.

the search results contain lat and long for whatever the search input was, so i can use that to get lat and long that gs associates to each postal code. i can generate a list of postal codes and run them through the search.

after that i think i can pare down the postal code list for 100 mile searches with some basic math. this is probably a data science problem i'm oversimplifying but it's somewhere to start.

1 hour ago, Lincoln said:

current plan is to beat on the store directory page using the 500 mile trick to get a list of all stores. i have the methodology worked out, i need to hand build a list of zip codes to input.

the search results contain lat and long for whatever the search input was, so i can use that to get lat and long that gs associates to each postal code. i can generate a list of postal codes and run them through the search.

after that i think i can pare down the postal code list for 100 mile searches with some basic math. this is probably a data science problem i'm oversimplifying but it's somewhere to start.

Aren’t most zipcodes within a 100 mile radius of lots of other ones? Maybe a script to search every 500 zipcodes? I did every 1000 manually but I know I probably missed some. 500 seems like a safe bet imo. 00500 01000 01500 and so on. 

ok I think i'm on to something. I grabbed a list of all zips with lat+long and processed them down to a list of zips that are not within 125 miles of each other, to prevent too much overlap but minimizing gaps due to whatever variance is in play. here's what the plot looks like for that list

image.png.af0bfaa431e7fb1500cf125448bd5fcd.png

I've excluded for alaska and hawaii for simplicity. this should give me very good coverage for gamestop stores assuming they are using similar lat+long for their zip code list.

here is the working list: https://justpaste.it/2yzh9

i can run through it in ~5 minutes, which is fine for now but can probably be sped up. forcing a different radius value may still be viable as well, will have to look into that more. 

holy shit i found something. unfortunately i don't think there's any way i can get to it myself. 

if anyone wants to attempt a local pickup on my behalf in Louisville KY please hit me up. thanks

Edit i got another hit in midland tx if anyone is near there.

I called my local store and the guy told me they don't do store to store transfers anymore due to the pandemic. So i need someone close by.

If anyone has something they want me to search for go ahead and post or dm me if you want to keep it quiet

Edited by Lincoln