IGNORED

Demon's Souls Remake for the PS5

3 minutes ago, Gloves said:

As long as it's faithful to the original, as it's one of my favorite games ever.

Looks like it will be faithful, but hopefully not a copy. I definitely want them to change certain aspects of the game, and also I would love new areas to explore, and there's speculation of them adding the area that was removed in the original release - see around 4:45 below

I wonder how upgraded that character they are using is. I mean I get that he can have a lighter weight, but he seems fast. And then he jumps from the top floor to the bottom. Even with a ring on I thought you had to still take that fall in shorter pieces because you still take some damage. Will be interesting to see how hard the Flamelurker is if they remove the glitch where he walks into walls.

On 11/1/2020 at 2:10 PM, Gloves said:

Keep in mind that the folks doing this remake are the same who did the Shadow of the Colossus remake. I am pretty confident this will be amazing.

The SOTC remake came out right after the abysmal Crash Trilogy remake, so I had my doubts, but the SOTC remake was absolutely amazing and as close to perfect as any other remake I've ever seen.  I also have high confidence that this will be great.  

Administrator · Posted
Just now, TDIRunner said:

The SOTC remake came out right after the abysmal Crash Trilogy remake, so I had my doubts, but the SOTC remake was absolutely amazing and as close to perfect as any other remake I've ever seen.  I also have high confidence that this will be great.  

The only issue is I don't have a PS5 preorder. 😞

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

The only issue is I don't have a PS5 preorder. 😞

I don't either, nor do I plan to anytime soon.  I'm never an early adopter, but I will say that I've seen a decent amount of stuff for the PS5 that might make me pull the trigger sooner then originally planned.  Regardless, I won't buy one until they are readily available on store shelves.  

I'm in the same boat. No PS5, that said I don't know if there's any reason to preorder Demon's Souls other than to support the publisher, although I suspect this will quickly sell a million+ copies. If there was a Demon's Souls Day1 Edition with extra goodies I would consider it, but as it stands the only "collector's edition" they have is a $90 "digital deluxe edition"... am I a joke to you, Sony!!

Screenshot from 2020-11-05 18-15-30.png

Edited by avatar!

735772694_Screenshotfrom2020-11-1315-35-25.thumb.png.8d4d01054ab93911173dd6a7304e4803.png

https://www.polygon.com/2020/11/12/21563109/demons-souls-ps5-impressions-playstation-5-launch

...nothing has changed since 2009. Every enemy is in the exact same spot in the new Demon’s Souls as it was in the old Demon’s Souls. Every enemy still behaves identically. Every landmass is unchanged...The same tactics I used to beat Demon’s Souls a decade ago are still applicable here.

Kinda wished they did change a bit more. I wonder if they're thinking about or will eventually release the removed region as some DLC?

Administrator · Posted
14 minutes ago, avatar! said:

735772694_Screenshotfrom2020-11-1315-35-25.thumb.png.8d4d01054ab93911173dd6a7304e4803.png

https://www.polygon.com/2020/11/12/21563109/demons-souls-ps5-impressions-playstation-5-launch

...nothing has changed since 2009. Every enemy is in the exact same spot in the new Demon’s Souls as it was in the old Demon’s Souls. Every enemy still behaves identically. Every landmass is unchanged...The same tactics I used to beat Demon’s Souls a decade ago are still applicable here.

Kinda wished they did change a bit more. I wonder if they're thinking about or will eventually release the removed region as some DLC?

I'd have it no other way, personally. Demon's Souls is a perfect game. Perfect.

16 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I'd have it no other way, personally. Demon's Souls is a perfect game. Perfect.

It's been a long time since I played it... but I don't think I could call it perfect 😉

Definitely a great game, but, I was hoping for changes. Also, I wonder if it's still the case that you accidentally hit someone and they try to kill you for the rest of the game?

Administrator · Posted
Just now, avatar! said:

It's been a long time since I played it... but I don't think I could call it perfect 😉

Definitely a great game, but, I was hoping for changes. Also, I wonder if it's still the case that you accidentally hit someone and they try to kill you for the rest of the game?

Make a mistake, PAY FOR IT!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Sitting my new console right now! Can't wait to try it out this weekend. I never played the original release even though I bought it when it first came out and still have it sealed with the mini guide book.

Sweet.  Let us know how it is!

On 11/13/2020 at 6:38 PM, fox said:

Sweet.  Let us know how it is!

Played for about two hours last night and have a few impressions. Of note, this is my first time ever playing the game and I have no experience with the PS3 version. I have no firsthand experience with any souls type games.

• The visuals and animation are really great. The upgraded environments are beautiful and make the level design feel very natural. The characters look pretty good, but not revelatory. Overall, I'd say it looks like a nice Sony PS4 Pro game.
  • Performance mode runs at a silky smooth 60fps and feels great. It also still looks fantastic. I haven't tried 4K mode but I'd be surprised if it looked significantly better. Unfortunately there is no ray tracing option here.
  • The lack of tutorials or even just basic explanations regarding gameplay mechanics is a shame. There is essentially no guidance for choosing your starting character class, leveling up, how equipment works, etc. I'm not asking for extensive handholding, but some basic guidance would be appreciated. Dying fifty times just to figure out a mechanic does not fit my definition of fun. Yes the internet exists, but it shouldn't be an excuse for developers to be lazy in 2020. Also, I don't care about the "legacy" of the game or whatever other shitty excuses people give for subpar tutorials.
  • Despite its age, the gameplay feels really good and is quite fun. Some encounters are truly designed to be unfair, but most of the time you have a fair shot. It took a lot of effort for me to stop playing and go to bed. I could see this being a game people play for eight hours straight.
  • Bloodstains and hints from other players are not just a gimmick. They are surprisingly useful and fun. I found a couple secrets by following the advice left by other players. I don't use guides unless a game seems bugged or the game design is so poor that figuring it out is not worth my time. These clues from other players really limit the necessity for outside help and I appreciate that. I don't think it excuses the developer for the lack of proper explanation of mechanics, but it's a start.
  • I am playing as Royalty class since I heard it was a bit easier. Having almost unlimited magic definitely makes early encounters a breeze.

So is it worth $70? I guess it depends on how badly you want to play the best looking console game of this launch lineup. $60 for AC Valhalla probably gets you a bigger and arguably better game, but so far I'm having more fun with this one.

I'll update again after a few more play sessions.

7 minutes ago, Californication said:

Did you see the bloodstains on the ground that give you tips?

Yeah. They certainly help, I just think they could have done a lot more. Again, I don't need or want it to be spoonfed, but some of the leveling/stats/equipment/items stuff could really benefit from more of a primer. I'm the type to stick with a game as long as I enjoy the gameplay, but I could see it pushing a lot of people away. Which is a real shame because the game seems damn good.

56 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Yeah. They certainly help, I just think they could have done a lot more. Again, I don't need or want it to be spoonfed, but some of the leveling/stats/equipment/items stuff could really benefit from more of a primer. I'm the type to stick with a game as long as I enjoy the gameplay, but I could see it pushing a lot of people away. Which is a real shame because the game seems damn good.

Ya, you're right. I almost never use the internet for guidance, but now that I am thinking about it I had to use the internet to find out the rules between the darkening and lightening of a level.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Californication said:

Ya, you're right. I almost never use the internet for guidance, but now that I am thinking about it I had to use the internet to find out the rules between the darkening and lightening of a level.

You could always just... experience it.

• Eyeroll 1