IGNORED

Demon's Souls Remake for the PS5

3 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

The lack of tutorials or even just basic explanations regarding gameplay mechanics is a shame. There is essentially no guidance for choosing your starting character class, leveling up, how equipment works, etc. I'm not asking for extensive handholding, but some basic guidance would be appreciated. Dying fifty times just to figure out a mechanic does not fit my definition of fun. Yes the internet exists, but it shouldn't be an excuse for developers to be lazy in 2020. Also, I don't care about the "legacy" of the game or whatever other shitty excuses people give for subpar tutorials.

I can understand where you’re coming from but for a lot of people no hand holding is what they love about the game.

It was so refreshing to play a game that told you basically nothing and you went out and explored and learnt from mistakes. It isn’t lazy because they did it on purpose. It is a dungeon explorer and they want you to explore.

They shouldn’t of even had the bloodstains IMO. I played offline so thankfully was never tempted to check hints.

19 minutes ago, Shmup said:

I can understand where you’re coming from but for a lot of people no hand holding is what they love about the game.

It was so refreshing to play a game that told you basically nothing and you went out and explored and learnt from mistakes. It isn’t lazy because they did it on purpose. It is a dungeon explorer and they want you to explore.

They shouldn’t of even had the bloodstains IMO. I played offline so thankfully was never tempted to check hints.

While I agree with the essence of what you're saying, the developers could have made the tutorial/hints optional. Why not make the game accessible for more people? I get artistic vision, but most people play games to have fun. Why not allow more people to enjoy the piece of art that you lovingly crafted? We should not let pretentiousness prevent us from welcoming more people into our hobby.

To be clear, I'm still loving the game. I just think it would be better if basic game mechanics were explained. I'll take the 30 hour game that concisely lays out its mechanics over the 100 hour game that is padded with twenty hours of banging my head against the wall deciphering obscure minutiae. There are plenty of games that skillfully integrate tutorials without forcing the player through a five hour gated segment. It just takes a concerted effort from the developer.

18 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

While I agree with the essence of what you're saying, the developers could have made the tutorial/hints optional. Why not make the game accessible for more people? I get artistic vision, but most people play games to have fun. Why not allow more people to enjoy the piece of art that you lovingly crafted? We should not let pretentiousness prevent us from welcoming more people into our hobby.

To be clear, I'm still loving the game. I just think it would be better if basic game mechanics were explained. I'll take the 30 hour game that concisely lays out its mechanics over the 100 hour game that is padded with twenty hours of banging my head against the wall deciphering obscure minutiae. There are plenty of games that skillfully integrate tutorials without forcing the player through a five hour gated segment. It just takes a concerted effort from the developer.

I guess there’s arguments for and against it.

I feel they wanted to do a throwback to old dungeon crawlers where you didn’t know much and even had to draw your maps.

Part of the series cult status is because people had to learn everything from scratch. That was a huge draw for so many people because it was old school. Also that added to the difficulty by spending hours working things out.

Demon Souls was their first entry to the series, so the beginning tutorial isn’t the greatest, I agree with you on that. Dark Souls really improved on it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shmup said:

I guess there’s arguments for and against it.

I feel they wanted to do a throwback to old dungeon crawlers where you didn’t know much and even had to draw your maps.

Part of the series cult status is because people had to learn everything from scratch. That was a huge draw for so many people because it was old school. Also that added to the difficulty by spending hours working things out.

Demon Souls was their first entry to the series, so the beginning tutorial isn’t the greatest, I agree with you on that. Dark Souls really improved on it.

Very true. I recall Fez require a huge collective effort to figure out all the secrets and I always found that effort fascinating. Not quite the same as mechanics, but there certainly is a precedent.

47 minutes ago, avatar! said:

A lot of people are saying it's "incredibly difficult" But, if I recall, Demon's Souls was very hard for its time, but easier than Dark Souls. The game was certainly not perfect and it's not for everyone. Still, I'd like to hear from people that have played the remake.

Can't comment on the remake. But I played Demon and Dark Souls last year. I am stuck on Dark Souls.

17 hours ago, avatar! said:

A lot of people are saying it's "incredibly difficult" But, if I recall, Demon's Souls was very hard for its time, but easier than Dark Souls. The game was certainly not perfect and it's not for everyone. Still, I'd like to hear from people that have played the remake.

16 hours ago, Californication said:

Can't comment on the remake. But I played Demon and Dark Souls last year. I am stuck on Dark Souls.

Even though this is my first Souls game, I do not think the gameplay is particularly difficult. I've died a few times, but between shortcuts and gained knowledge of enemy placement, I've been able to fight my way back to my souls without much trouble. That being said, I am a pretty patient person and I knew exactly what I was signing up for when I fired it up. I'm a very experienced (read:old) gamer and have played a lot of punishing games over the years, so you should take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I suspect the PS5 launch has led to a huge influx of non-hardcore gamers who are more accustomed to excessive handholding in linear single player games. I'm sure the opaque game mechanics are also contributing to peoples' frustrations (see my previous posts in which I complain about this).

I played about 3 more hours last night and finally used some souls to level up my intelligence, health, and magic. Despite that, I got my ass handed to me by the Sword Knight repeatedly. On the plus side, I can run through his level with minimal difficulty. He is an impressive looking boss and I haven't quite figured out the best way to roll around him and efficiently hit him from the back. Sadly I lost about 2000 souls dying to him, but that's life, right?

After I had enough of running through that level over and over again, I moved on to the mines which starts out surprisingly easy. I explored for about an hour and opened up the moving platform shortcut. I also finally found the guy who sells magic in the Nexus (I had no clue he was there!) so I guess I can start looking at other spells which might help me quite a bit. Tonight I'll be back to AC: Valhalla which is decent, but super janky.

• Like 2