IGNORED

Games that play like Star Fox 2?

Strange

Vortex is rough, but it is similar, it's between Starfox and Starfox 2.  Wing Commander (and WC Special Missions) may not be 3D but pixel based right down to the rotating and scaling of the ships on it (and a PC port at that) but it's a full on space combat flight sim.  Spectre, and another DOS port too, that one is kind of like Star Fox 2's ground based tank missions to a point.  Star Trek Starfleet Academy on SNES is a 3D polygonal ship combat/mission based game too despite not using a 3D accelerator.

You have choices if that's the style you're after.

Editing this in, if you're doing Starfox 2, play it on anything but the easiest, try the hardest. The game is dramatically different as they introduce more mechanics such as a computer virus that takes over the orbital platform and blasts Corneria which you need to assault and inoculate.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Strangest said:

Are there many other games like this on SNES? Or will I have to move up a generation to the PS1 or something?

This is such an atypical genre for the SNES in the first place.

Obvious examples that come to mind are the Panzer Dragoon games, both Sin & Punishment games, and the Rogue Squadron series, but I'm sure you're already familiar with those. I guess you could kinda throw in Rez, but that game is really its own thing.

More obscure examples could be Vanark, Gamera 2000, or Omega Boost on PS1, or Strike Suit Zero on PC.

There's also an indie game being developed that intentionally apes the visual "style" of Starfox, but I can't remember it's name. It looks really cool.

Lol nevermind, that was easy to find with a Google search:

Also, if scaling sprites are an ok substitute for polygons, Galaxy Force 1 and 2 might be fun to get into. They are kinda hard to get to play though. GF2 was released digitally on 3DS with a 3D mode, so that's cool. I wouldn't recommend the MegaDrive version.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Vortex is rough, but it is similar, it's between Starfox and Starfox 2.  Wing Commander (and WC Special Missions) may not be 3D but pixel based right down to the rotating and scaling of the ships on it (and a PC port at that) but it's a full on space combat flight sim.  Spectre, and another DOS port too, that one is kind of like Star Fox 2's ground based tank missions to a point.  Star Trek Starfleet Academy on SNES is a 3D polygonal ship combat/mission based game too despite not using a 3D accelerator.

Thanks for the suggestions! I had been looking at Wing Commander, but was unsure if the SNES version or the Sega CD version was the way to go. Seems both have some minor differences but are overall good ports, will likely go with the SNES version. I’m also intrigued by Starfleet Academy.

14 hours ago, Sumez said:

This is such an atypical genre for the SNES in the first place.

Obvious examples that come to mind are the Panzer Dragoon games, both Sin & Punishment games, and the Rogue Squadron series, but I'm sure you're already familiar with those. I guess you could kinda throw in Rez, but that game is really its own thing.

More obscure examples could be Vanark, Gamera 2000, or Omega Boost on PS1, or Strike Suit Zero on PC.

There's also an indie game being developed that intentionally apes the visual "style" of Starfox, but I can't remember it's name. It looks really cool.

Yeah, I figured as much. Still happy which what I have seen on SNES.

I’m a huge fan of both Panzer Dragoon and Sin and Punishment, I still need to find a good CIB copy of the Japanese N64 game for my collection. Omega Boost is another I was surprised by.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I’ll look into all of them for sure. 

Every few months I’m reminded how much I love rail shooters, space sims, space combat, etc. and just go on a binge so these should keep me busy for awhile.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
8 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

Thanks for the suggestions! I had been looking at Wing Commander, but was unsure if the SNES version or the Sega CD version was the way to go. Seems both have some minor differences but are overall good ports, will likely go with the SNES version. I’m also intrigued by Starfleet Academy.

I wouldn't call those similar to StarFox, but if you dig them, another title is Warpspeed.

Actually, you might like Wings 2 for SNES.  There's some similarities.

Argonaught also made a fully functional, Game Boy 3D game demo.  I have no clue how close they got to finishing it, but a copy has sold of an unfinished, but demoable, prototype of the game.  I can recall what it's called.  I remember when it was listed on eBay.  I really, really, reeeeaaaaaalllly, wish I had just forked out the cash for that one.  I think it only went for about $300-450, tops. 😕

On 10/8/2020 at 4:34 PM, The Strangest said:

The two Wing Commander games, they're just full on space combat X-Y-Z axis simulators basically with a solid plot and objectives over nav points, the post above with Starlancer, similar, just more advanced.

ST Starfleet Academy though, think of it like simulator school.  You get missions in a classroom auditorium and hit the sim.  You play the story out, do some good reading, reasoning, and then find the best way to solve a mission.  Plenty enough times in stages you'll hit upon combat, it's more on the basic side compared to PC but you do manage damage and resources(of energy) while controlling speed, direction and both types of weapons fire.  Also if that's not to your love, there is just a straight up combat sim with all the popular ships of the ToS era, even enemies too like klingon, romulan and gorn.

• Like 1