IGNORED

Checkmate, Nintendo! ;)

OptOut

Homebrew Team · Posted

@RH I am not a homebrew developer, just on the Homebrew Team on the staff.  I do read about and research homebrews and technical things.  I do have technical background, but I am not an electrical engineer.  So don't go off my word, I am trusting the testing and opinions of others that I read when this was a hot topic.  IIRC the issue was the switch is expecting a resistor on the cable/ connection.  Some have them and other don't.  Though not universal, cheaper cables don't have them.  This was the same issue for bricking phones, that I was mentioning, devices expecting that resistor on the cable. 

I do agree with you that is was risky to go with USB-C so early on, but I do prefer this.  It will make accessories are other things in the future easier.  I don't know how the conversations went between USB and Nintendo during development, but I would guess USB gave them the guidelines during it.  It just changed.  It does suck on the consumer end of it.

I do think this was an issue with early USB as well.  1.0, 2.0, etc.  This was a good video that covers it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, OptOut said:

@Sumez & @Makar I've heard conflicting reports as to the compatibility of 3rd party chargers with Switch. I think most are fine, but not the kind of thing I'm willing to risk, personally.

ApparentlyNintendo switch is NOT fully USB C compliant, which is super confusing seeing as they used a USB C connector, but that's just Nintendo for you, tricky bastards!

Maybe a question for anyone, is the bricking your switch thing only a problem with non Nintendo docks, or is it a problem with non Nintendo chargers too? I read this article that says this isn't a problem with chargers which is why I asked. I have never had problems charging my switch with my portable charger. Here is a pic of the one I use. It's a Merkury power pack model number MI-PB001. 

IMG_20200928_190434275.thumb.jpg.58ed471f9244d80180fd688b3e976edb.jpgIMG_20200928_190637654.thumb.jpg.c29ff22e4ea678ae7d441c52b6c5018e.jpg

"It is safe to charge the Nintendo Switch with a third party USB charger or power bank. There have been no confirmed reports of quality charger damaging a Switch console. There have been problems with third party docks. But those issues stem from bad Power Delivery protocols on the dock's power transfer chip."

https://switchchargers.com/safely-charge-nintendo-switch/?amp=1

• Like 1

I remember reading it was both.  Either way you're feeding an off spec transfer of power from source to switch and well....pop.  Nintendo early on in that complaining about toasted systems started getting in bed with ANKER and they started selling officially licensed and I maybe branded too external power supply batteries that would like 2-3x the length of the system life.

Well Nintendo made very clear IN ALL CAPS about the issue from the beginning:

DO NOT USE ANY POWER PLUG OTHER THAN THE AC ADAPTER PROVIDED WITH YOUR NES.

Now when they say that IN ALL CAPS, they mean it!  So only use the USB chargers for your Nintendo Switch (we're already up to their 7th console, seriously??) that carry the Official Nintendo Seal of Quality to ensure excellence in workmanship, reliability, and most important of all, entertainment value. 🙂 

That's even more true for memory cards, BTW.

Edited by Estil
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Deadeye said:

Any one else that is looking for a spare dock, but doesn't want pay $60 for a new one dock, refurnished ones for $40 on nintendo's site.

https://store.nintendo.com/catalog/product/view/id/34927/s/dock-refurbished-nintendo-switch/category/637/

I wouldn't take my chances on refurbished if I can at all avoid it, but that's just me.

But I guess as long as it's backed by the Official Nintendo Seal of Quality you can never go wrong! 🙂

Edited by Estil