IGNORED

UPDATE, crazy Russian comes through!!! Fixing a Sanyo 3DO, replacement disc drive?

OptOut

Hello fellows!

I recently stumbled across an old gamestore which at some point in the last 20 years had been converted into a tea shop. 

However, inside a dusty old display case (with a fish tank on top) I noticed a few crusty old consoles! I picked up a Smoke grey N64 and a yellowed old SFC which work great, but I also found something a lot more unusual... a Sanyo 3DO!

The old fella was driving a hard bargain, and I knew there was a good chance it wouldn't work, but I left the store with it in hand anyway.

So I got the thing home and, of course, it doesn't read discs! Now, the tray itself does seem to work, it will close automatically. But as soon as it closes the Access light comes on but there's no further action, just the 3DO logo, followed by a black screen.

IMG20200913172555.thumb.jpg.4a7c355c2758d84f1ed2e5fb21dd4895.jpg

IMG20200913172631.thumb.jpg.61ec2be2ae28f6f1cd0851e43d732b7e.jpg

IMG20200913172604.thumb.jpg.29736d920793d5cd0a307a44e2859f34.jpg

I'm used to CD based consoles behaving this way, I expected this would be the case. But, I would really like to get this working, perhaps by swapping out the disc drive?

Can anyone offer me any help to get this machine back in working order? Perhaps suggest an appropriate replacement drive for this system?

Thanks for the help! 🙂

Edited by OptOut
  • Like 1

All I remember about the 3DO systems is that the Sanyo branded one was the one not available in North America. I can't remember if there was a regional difference or not, so I'm not sure a swap with a Goldstar or Panasonic 3DO drive will work.

Good luck, dude. Maybe try cleaning the laser?

10 hours ago, Tulpa said:

All I remember about the 3DO systems is that the Sanyo branded one was the one not available in North America. I can't remember if there was a regional difference or not, so I'm not sure a swap with a Goldstar or Panasonic 3DO drive will work.

Good luck, dude. Maybe try cleaning the laser?

I guess I could try cleaning the laser, although it looks pretty clean inside.

I can't really tell if it's actually spinning a disc, it makes some spinning noises, but it sounds suspiciously quiet for an old CD drive.

Rather than swapping the drive for another 3DO drive, would it be possible to swap it for a generic CD drive? I'm assuming not all would be compatible, but surely there are some that would?

Also, @LastCat suggested swapping the laser, he pointed me to this one here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OPTICAL-LASER-LENS-PICKUP-for-SANYO-TRY-3DO-IMP-21J-CONSOLE/361745492799?hash=item5439b62b3f:g:Ek0AAOSw~OdVfsky

But, if it's not actually the laser that's the problem, then swapping that wouldn't work... I wonder if there is a way to check if the disc is actually spinning properly?

I've found a few links on Atari Age to people discussing the USB mod for the 3DO. It's a little pricey, and the seller is from Russia... So I mean postage and security etc. could be an issue getting it over here.

http://3do-renovation.ru/How_to_buy.htm

But, the USB drive completely replaces the CD drive, and it's literally plug and play so it could be a quick, if expensive fix to my problem. I'd like a second opinion tho from someone who has experience with this.

I saw a friendly face over on Atari Age discussing this, @TDIRunner! You got any advice for me on this issue?

I remember those discussions, but I bet that was years ago.  I never did find a solution that I really liked, but I also haven't looked in a long time.  If a plug and play option exists today, that would almost certainly be your best bet.  The USB drives that I looked at a long time ago required extremely small and precise solder connections (too small for my skills).  So I never went any further.  Replacing the disc drive sort of sucks, but it's usually the only option for most disc based systems.  I'm definitely interested to read up on this stuff again to see what's changed over the years.  I still own both Panasonic models, so I would consider modding one for USB and leave the other original to play discs.  

@Tulpais correct that the Sayno model was not released in NA.  However, the system should be region free.  There are a handful of Japanese games that will only run in a Japanese 3DO, but you should have no issues playing a US game in a Japanese model, so I'm 95% sure that the problem isn't a region issue.  

• Like 1

3DO repair update, I found the culprit for the faulty disc drive:

IMG20200914213335.thumb.jpg.b79c4be95446c38fe211940555280314.jpg

IMG20200914213331.thumb.jpg.e5d2e1d1a9c4c9af1422708577f49d6e.jpg

That little yellow cog on the CD laser motor had perished, flaked away in my hands:

IMG20200914213528.thumb.jpg.5fc488670362af8815d6ef22f23e87aa.jpg

For some reason this was made out of a soft rubber or something, unlike the other cogs.

Either way, it cannot be repaired. So I'm gonna order the USB drive replacement, as I don't think I will be able to find a whole disc drive replacement for this thing.

@TDIRunner apparently the Sanyo 3DO is very similar to the Gold Star one, so the USB thing is plug and play, no solder required! I just wonder how many months it will take to get here from Mother Russia, lol! 😅

1 minute ago, OptOut said:

For some reason this was made out of a soft rubber or something, unlike the other cogs.

I'm not sure if it makes sense in this application, but whenever you see several gears together like that, often times one gear is designed to be weaker then the rest so that if something happens to bind up the system, that gear will break before anything else similar to a shear key in a lawn mower.   In theory, it's easier/cheaper to fix that one part compared to a burned up motor or something else.  When it's designed that way, those parts are usually made readily available.  I'm not sure if that gear was meant for the same type of application, but even if it was, those parts are almost certainly not readily available anymore.  With that said, it wouldn't hurt to look if you haven't already.  A quick Google search found me a replacement gear for an FZ1 model on eBay.  Maybe with a little more digging you could find something for your model.     

Also, I'll have to find the thread and link to it (can't remember if it was Atari Age or somewhere else), but there is a guy out there that not only owns a full set of 3DO games, consoles, & accessories, but he also owns between 8 and 12 of everything.  It's one of the most insane collections I've ever seen.  Anyway, if anyone would know what does or doesn't exist in the world of 3DO, he would be the one.

6 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I'm not sure if it makes sense in this application, but whenever you see several gears together like that, often times one gear is designed to be weaker then the rest so that if something happens to bind up the system, that gear will break before anything else similar to a shear key in a lawn mower.   In theory, it's easier/cheaper to fix that one part compared to a burned up motor or something else.  When it's designed that way, those parts are usually made readily available.  I'm not sure if that gear was meant for the same type of application, but even if it was, those parts are almost certainly not readily available anymore.  With that said, it wouldn't hurt to look if you haven't already.  A quick Google search found me a replacement gear for an FZ1 model on eBay.  Maybe with a little more digging you could find something for your model.     

Alas, as I removed the cog, I also broke off the tiny axel it was attached to. 😓

If someone were able to suggest a full disc drive replacement that would be suitable, then I would consider that. However, going down that road, I may as well just pay a couple bucks extra and get the USB drive.

Thanks for all the help anyway! 😉

Alas, as I removed the cog, I also broke off the tiny axel it was attached to. 😓

If someone were able to suggest a full disc drive replacement that would be suitable, then I would consider that. However, going down that road, I may as well just pay a couple bucks extra and get the USB drive.

Thanks for all the help anyway! 😉

I just saw on your link that the Sayno and Goldstar USB mods are only $90 plus $15 for shipping.  That seems pretty reasonable to me, especially for plug and play.  In that situation, I would do what you are saying and just get that.   

It looks like the FZ1 is also plug and play, but FZ10 requires soldering.  I guess that would make my decision easy on which console to mod and which to leave original, but at $170, I might just stick with the games I own and play those.  

Let us know how shipping goes.  Good luck on everything going smoothly.  Obviously, I would be more concerned with global shipping at this time than the actual seller.  He has been selling this stuff for so long, that if he was scamming people, we would have heard about it by now.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I just saw on your link that the Sayno and Goldstar USB mods are only $90 plus $15 for shipping.  That seems pretty reasonable to me, especially for plug and play.  In that situation, I would do what you are saying and just get that.   

It looks like the FZ1 is also plug and play, but FZ10 requires soldering.  I guess that would make my decision easy on which console to mod and which to leave original, but at $170, I might just stick with the games I own and play those.  

Let us know how shipping goes.  Good luck on everything going smoothly.  Obviously, I would be more concerned with global shipping at this time than the actual seller.  He has been selling this stuff for so long, that if he was scamming people, we would have heard about it by now.  

Yeah I figured that, based on his sales history, etc.

I am also a little worried about global shipping right now, but is there EVER a good time to order a bespoke electronic modification from a sketchy Russian website? 😄

I will place the order tomorrow and keep everyone updated in about 4 months when the part arrives, lol! 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Koopa64 said:

The cracked yellow gear looks a lot like the "middle gear" used in the PC Engine CD-ROM2 system.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Seller-PC-Engine-CD-Rom-Middle-Gear-CDROM2-Turbografx-16-US-SELLER-IN-CT/124335729285?hash=item1cf2fcaa85:g:pTUAAOSwjDZYeR6l

Thanks dude, I'll keep it in mind! 🙂

• 1 month later...

Well whadda you know?! The crazy "Russian" held up his end of the bargain, two months to the day here it is!

IMG20201123121744.thumb.jpg.8bbc82f2a62294e081539f9a64295d70.jpg

Now all I gotta do is figure out how to fit it, and where to get some 3DO games to try it out! 😅

Also, turns out he's from Belarus, NOT Russia, so all my dox are safe... Probably... 🤣

• Like 3

• The title was changed to UPDATE, crazy Russian comes through!!! Fixing a Sanyo 3DO, replacement disc drive?
12 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Glad to hear it worked out for you.  Update us when you get everything running.  

Actually, I do have a question I'm not sure if you or maybe anyone else will know the answer?

So, I have managed to find some 3DO games... Do I just put the ISO's straight on the USB stick and put it in the machine, or is there something else I need to do to get it to read games?

I am terrible at software stuff and emulation, just don't have any idea what I'm doing, lol!

Actually, I do have a question I'm not sure if you or maybe anyone else will know the answer?

So, I have managed to find some 3DO games... Do I just put the ISO's straight on the USB stick and put it in the machine, or is there something else I need to do to get it to read games?

I am terrible at software stuff and emulation, just don't have any idea what I'm doing, lol!

I'm not familiar with that particular device.  Most similar devices require some type of OS file saved to the root of the SD card.  Usually after that, you can just save you ISOs straight to the card.  Some devices are more strict about the file type than others.  If there aren't instructions on the seller's website, you will almost certainly find them somewhere online, whether it's on a YouTube tutorial, or in one of the many flash cart forums online.  

1 minute ago, TDIRunner said:

I'm not familiar with that particular device.  Most similar devices require some type of OS file saved to the root of the SD card.  Usually after that, you can just save you ISOs straight to the card.  Some devices are more strict about the file type than others.  If there aren't instructions on the seller's website, you will almost certainly find them somewhere online, whether it's on a YouTube tutorial, or in one of the many flash cart forums online.  

http://3do-renovation.ru/USB_Host_for_GDO101.htm

On here there is a file you can download which says init root for quick loading of games, but I don't know what it means?

Also, what is a root of the USB card?

6 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I'm guessing the contents of the folder, but I'm not 100% certain.  Again, I haven't used any of the devices that MNemo has made, so I'm not familiar with them.  

Okay thanks, sorry for the questions lol!

Now i'm just trying to find out how to convert IMG to ISO, fuck me! 😩

• Like 1