Jump to content
IGNORED

Dragon Quest 11 S (Definite Edition; has bonus stuff from Switch version) coming to PS4 in Dec; pre-order for $40


Estil
 Share

Recommended Posts

Member · Posted

So it looks like the "deluxe" version that already came out for Switch (and 3DS?) will now also be available for PS4 come Dec, which you can now pre-order from Amazon for $40.  So now PS4 gamers too can go for the extra outfits and have the 2D/16-bit style option and such.  I'm presuming though the saves/trophies from the original version do NOT carry over.  And I was actually thinking of giving this game a second go around until I found out about this so I guess I should save that for this version right?

https://www.ign.com/articles/dragon-quest-11-s-release-date-preorder-bonus

It's among the best games I've ever played in recent memory and I honest to goodness often had a hard time putting it down...which I can't say about hardly any other games (I usually like to rotate around them and my other hobbies).  You'll get your money's worth for sure!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
7 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Not sure exactly what you mean, please explain? 

I saw this headline and I felt like the PS4/xbox owners were screwed as well.  Basically, for a standard retail price, we Switch owners got "everything", while the early adopters on those consoles only got part of the game play.  I mean, I was more than glad to get all of that game play in one package on the Switch side but to charge PS4 players for a whole new game feels shady. Even if they wanted to add it as DLC, an extra $20 would have felt wrong, but not as much of a slap in the face.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
9 minutes ago, RH said:

I saw this headline and I felt like the PS4/xbox owners were screwed as well.  Basically, for a standard retail price, we Switch owners got "everything", while the early adopters on those consoles only got part of the game play.  I mean, I was more than glad to get all of that game play in one package on the Switch side but to charge PS4 players for a whole new game feels shady. Even if they wanted to add it as DLC, an extra $20 would have felt wrong, but not as much of a slap in the face.

I thought $60 was the "standard retail price" for a blue chip new release?  And IIRC Xbox didn't get any release of DQ11 until this announcement.

Well it's my understanding that this "deluxe" version is too eh, different from the original to "just" slap on a DLC.  And I personally don't feel cheated at all.  Like I said I already was thinking of doing a second go around and this will give me the perfect excuse to do so...plus it'll probably have it's own set of trophies.

I mean, having this option is better than not having this option, right?

Edited by Estil
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, RH said:

I saw this headline and I felt like the PS4/xbox owners were screwed as well.  Basically, for a standard retail price, we Switch owners got "everything", while the early adopters on those consoles only got part of the game play.  I mean, I was more than glad to get all of that game play in one package on the Switch side but to charge PS4 players for a whole new game feels shady. Even if they wanted to add it as DLC, an extra $20 would have felt wrong, but not as much of a slap in the face.

I see. But isn't this what games have been doing for many years now?

Take Dark Souls. When a DS game comes out, inevitably some DLC is introduced and after all the DLC is done, there is the inevitable "complete" edition sold. 

But yeah, it would be good of them to offer free or say $10 upgrades to current PS4 players... although as Estil noted, perhaps that's not an option? 

Edited by avatar!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Estil said:

I thought $60 was the "standard retail price" for a blue chip new release?

Well it's my understanding that this "deluxe" version is too eh, different from the original to "just" slap on a DLC.  And I personally don't feel cheated at all.  Like I said I already was thinking of doing a second go around and this will give me the perfect excuse to do so...plus it'll probably have it's own set of trophies.

I mean, having this option is better than not having this option, right?

OK yes and now I understand what @Hammerfestus was complaining about. 

This game is not an upgrade to DQ 11 on PS4 / Xbox / PC. If you have those games, you are not buying an expansion that installs on top of them. This is a port of the Switch version. It has different graphics and new content. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, avatar! said:

I see. But isn't this what games have been doing for many years now?

Take Dark Souls. When a DS game comes out, inevitably some DLC is introduced and after all the DLC is done, there is the inevitable "complete" edition sold. 

Yeah, but when a complete edition is sold, you can still go and buy the DLC to add to your base version. There's no DLC here. 

1 minute ago, avatar! said:

But yeah, it would be good of them to offer free or say $10 upgrades to current PS4 players. 

They can't. It's a different game, different codebase. It's not based on the PS4 version. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MiamiSlice said:

OK yes and now I understand what @Hammerfestus was complaining about. 

This game is not an upgrade to DQ 11 on PS4 / Xbox / PC. If you have those games, you are not buying an expansion that installs on top of them. This is a port of the Switch version. It has different graphics and new content. 

So, the graphics are the same as the Switch version?? 

This is weird, I believe the original PS4 had better graphics than the Switch version. So it will be a bit of a downgrade. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, avatar! said:

So, the graphics are the same as the Switch version?? 

This is weird, I believe the original PS4 had better graphics than the Switch version. So it will be a bit of a downgrade. 

Yes and yes. I don't know if they are upscaling in any way for PS4. But it's literally a Switch game ported to PS4. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
Just now, MiamiSlice said:

OK yes and now I understand what @Hammerfestus was complaining about. 

This game is not an upgrade to DQ 11 on PS4 / Xbox / PC. If you have those games, you are not buying an expansion that installs on top of them. This is a port of the Switch version. It has different graphics and new content. 

I've been told the Switch version graphics aren't quite as good as the PS4 versions...but it can't be by that much right?  I mean it's a beautiful game but not exactly a "pushing the PS4 with everything it's got" kind of deal right?  If anything, I think the PS3 could've handled it just fine for the most part.  No offense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MiamiSlice said:

Yes and yes. I don't know if they are upscaling in any way for PS4. But it's literally a Switch game ported to PS4. 

Gotcha, thanks. So, is it safe to say if you have the Switch version there is no need to get the PS4 version? Is there anything this PS4 version includes not found in the Switch version? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, RH said:

I saw this headline and I felt like the PS4/xbox owners were screwed as well.  Basically, for a standard retail price, we Switch owners got "everything", while the early adopters on those consoles only got part of the game play.  I mean, I was more than glad to get all of that game play in one package on the Switch side but to charge PS4 players for a whole new game feels shady. Even if they wanted to add it as DLC, an extra $20 would have felt wrong, but not as much of a slap in the face.

This

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Estil said:

Yes.  Trophies.

Hmmm, achievements. I never thought it was that big a deal, but then again, it's cute. Still, if that is all, you have to ask yourself if it's worth shelling out $40 for a port. If the graphics are upgraded, I think that would certainly be reason enough. 

 

Edited by avatar!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
On 7/27/2020 at 11:59 AM, avatar! said:

Hmmm, achievements. I never thought it was that big a deal, but then again, it's cute. Still, if that is all, you have to ask yourself if it's worth shelling out $40 for a port. If the graphics are upgraded, I think that would certainly be reason enough. 

I mainly am looking forward to the extra outfits (especially the ones for the girls 😄 ) and I think there's supposed to be added story elements too?

And "achievements" are on that other console. 😛 

Edited by Estil
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
43 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I see. But isn't this what games have been doing for many years now?

Take Dark Souls. When a DS game comes out, inevitably some DLC is introduced and after all the DLC is done, there is the inevitable "complete" edition sold. 

But yeah, it would be good of them to offer free or say $10 upgrades to current PS4 players... although as Estil noted, perhaps that's not an option? 

I'd be the wrong guy to ask.  It's one thing if it's been ported to a new console, or even if it was something like the original was released for a base console, and then this was an update taking use of the 4k HD output updates like the Xbox (and PS4) did a few years ago with "pro" models.  Honestly, I've stayed away from new consoles since the GameCube, and I bought a Wii just because it felt like an upgrade.  I can't gauge good moves for a console.  Regardless, in the day and age of prevalent DLC, it feels kind of wrong to charge PS4 and PC users, say, $60 for the original and then an additional $40 years later to get the same thing that Switch users managed to get a year ago.  Sure, $60 was a lot of money and shelling out extra dollars for extra content makes sense, but having a DLC upgrade package also seems to be fair.  Or, release a DLC patch for the original AND an additional stand-alone release.

But, if the world we live in is a world where gamers don't expect that, then I'm the odd man out.  It just felt like a screw-you move to the original players.  If they had a lesser system and had been patient, they wouldn't have had to double-dip for two, full release purchases that might not even be cross-compatible.  If I was in that position, personally I'd say "no thanks!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
7 hours ago, RH said:

Honestly, I've stayed away from new consoles since the GameCube, and I bought a Wii just because it felt like an upgrade.  I can't gauge good moves for a console.  Regardless, in the day and age of prevalent DLC, it feels kind of wrong to charge PS4 and PC users, say, $60 for the original and then an additional $40 years later to get the same thing that Switch users managed to get a year ago.  Sure, $60 was a lot of money and shelling out extra dollars for extra content makes sense, but having a DLC upgrade package also seems to be fair.  Or, release a DLC patch for the original AND an additional stand-alone release.

But, if the world we live in is a world where gamers don't expect that, then I'm the odd man out.  It just felt like a screw-you move to the original players.  If they had a lesser system and had been patient, they wouldn't have had to double-dip for two, full release purchases that might not even be cross-compatible.  If I was in that position, personally I'd say "no thanks!"

I only had to pay about ~$25 for mine (hey you said you're a late adopter too right?)...and ~$20 for Final Fantasy 12 on PS4...and I most definitely feel like I got my money's worth on both!  I don't know what you mean by cross-comparable exactly but you bet I'm getting this new version and I'd be more than happy to get DLC for it if I thought it was really worth it...like more cute outfits for the girls. 🙂  For example, I think the Switch version and now the new PS4 version offers among other new bonus outfits has a really hot red leather outfit/high boots for Serena...which is quite a change of pace for the normally soft spoken feminine Disney Princess type! 😄  I bet it'd even make Jade quite jelly! 😄 

Here's what all the outfits look like; obviously don't click on it if you don't want to spoil them and DON'T scroll all the way down past Jade's outfits to the last set if you don't want to spoil who the super secret 8th character is!

https://www.rpgsite.net/feature/7757-dragon-quest-xi-s-costumes-guide-locations-of-every-costume-for-the-dedicated-follower-of-fashion-trophy-and-new-switch-outfits

Edited by Estil
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm looking forward to this release.  Even these games look a lot better on other consoles.  Switch is a first party console to me so ports to other systems are appreciated.

For Xbox owners, I saw this was coming to gamepass.  $15 is a great price for one playthrough of this.  Gamepass really is a great value. It's how I will likely play it.

Edited by zeppelin03
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
55 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

I'm looking forward to this release.  Even these games look a lot better on other consoles.  Switch is a first party console to me so ports to other systems are appreciated.

I'm holding off on the Switch until the Pro version comes out (and there WILL be one at some point, mark my words)...still $400 is quite an investment for a new console (that's counting also the Pro Controller and your first game)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
56 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

I'm looking forward to this release.  Even these games look a lot better on other consoles.  Switch is a first party console to me so ports to other systems are appreciated.

For Xbox owners, I saw this was coming to gamepass.  $15 is a great price for one playthrough of this.  Gamepass really is a great value. It's how I will likely play it.

What do you mean "one playthrough"?  Oh please don't tell me it's not one of those stupid gimmicks where you only get one playthrough and that's it 😛 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks to the "fans" (outside here), and owning a digital copy, getting a physical copy for my collection is a no-go. Which is fine since Dengeki Online has announced that Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne is being remade for both the PS4 and Switch. And that might lead to a Q4 2020-Q2 2021 release state-side. Which should be when I am ready to buy any non-Japanese physical games (again). 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted
2 hours ago, Aguy said:

I bought the vanilla version day 1 for PS4 for $60, then bought the S version day 1 for Switch for $60, and if this wasn't coming to gamepass, I'd buy it again on Day 1 for full price.

"coming to gamepass"?  Boy I guess I'm really out it as far as modern gaming goes...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Estil said:

"coming to gamepass"?  Boy I guess I'm really out it as far as modern gaming goes...

Xbox has a game subscription service similar to Netflix. On console it is $4.99 a month and $14.99 for Xbox, PC, and Xbox live.  All their first party games launch on it plus tons of other stuff is on there.  It's cheap enough to make buying a lot of games feel pointless when they may only get played once.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...