IGNORED

TMNT 2003 cartoon

cartman

Any fans of this show? I think it's a good maturing and a right flavour of what TMNT should be. The Footclan and Shredder are more menacing than before and things like the Purple Dragon and Casey Jones fit into the NY streetgangs atmosphere. They pushed the cartoon as far as they probably were allowed to Baxter Stockman's and Hamato yoshi's fates come to mind. It wasn't until later on that the plot started to involve timetravel and the Shredder was just made into this name-borrower sort of thing to the "real" Shredder that everything started sucking ass and i tuned the fuck out but it had a great run!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2003 show is solid, yeah. At least what I saw of it. I never got thru the full run. But I felt like it had a tone somewhat similar to the IDW comics.

At one point I was working on a full watch/rewatch of ALL of the TMNT shows in chronological order, but it fizzled out due to just having less down time.

1 hour ago, noiseredux said:

The 2003 show is solid, yeah. At least what I saw of it. I never got thru the full run. But I felt like it had a tone somewhat similar to the IDW comics.

At one point I was working on a full watch/rewatch of ALL of the TMNT shows in chronological order, but it fizzled out due to just having less down time.

I might do that too. Maybe i'll watch through the 2003 one including the shitty parts.

I'm in line with the one we got previous to that anime abortive mess of awfulness they're calling turtles now.  The last one that ran through the 3DS era with the CGI visuals, played straight up homage and riffs of the old original cartoon and direct play against the original comic based material.  To me that's the stand out best thing that happened was how they melded all that so nicely into one package, yet still doing a bit different to add a bit of flavor such as April getting those powers.  Made me sad when that one just kind of died off and replaced with that dumpster fire now.  The 2003 one I'd put in 3rd a solid third though.

I thought it started out fine, but then became less and less interested only a few episodes into the first season because it is somewhat biased towards Leo and Donnie. The episodes often focused on them, and they were usually treated as the most important characters. If the 1990 movie is any indication, Raph used to be an important character as well.

Whenever they dodged attacks, I disliked the fact that Donnie would usually jump in the same direction as Leo while Raph would jump in the same direction as Mikey. Whenever they split up, Donnie would usually be with Leo and Raph would be with Mikey. There was at least one episode (season 1 I think?), probably more, where Leo saved the day and Donnie helped in some way while Raph and Mikey just stood around and watched, which doesn't make much sense since Raph is the one that likes fighting and you'd think he would be the one that would help Leo. There was that season 2 episode were Mikey is unconscious, and Leo tells Raph to look after Mikey and Donnie to go with him and fight (what a surprise). But what I disliked most about this series was that episode where Donnie becomes a monster. This happened to Raph in the comics, but I guess they felt the need to change it in order to (once again) keep the focus on Leo and Donnie and have Raph standing beside Mikey all the time and being treated like a less important character. Last but not least, there's that Fast Forward episode where Mikey becomes a monster then later Leo, Donnie, and Splinter turned into monsters as well. Near the end of the episode, there is a close-up shot that just has Leo, Donnie, and Splinter together as monsters but not Mikey. I know Mikey is the Comic Relief and that Raph was the one that had to save the day in that episode, but come on.

Overall I don't hate the series, and I still have a VHS tape that has a recording of the first episode from when it aired in February 2003. I just wish Raph was a more important character than he turned out to be.

Edited by MegaMan52

I haven't really seen any of the '03 Turtles but I did grow up with the '87 Turtles.  Interestingly, you can't call the '87 Turtles the "original" cartoon series because the '03 Turtles are done much more like the original comic book Turtles.  So yeah, kinda throws a whole wrench into the whole which one is the true "original" series?

On 5/26/2020 at 10:33 PM, Tanooki said:

I'm in line with the one we got previous to that anime abortive mess of awfulness they're calling turtles now.  The last one that ran through the 3DS era with the CGI visuals, played straight up homage and riffs of the old original cartoon and direct play against the original comic based material.  To me that's the stand out best thing that happened was how they melded all that so nicely into one package, yet still doing a bit different to add a bit of flavor such as April getting those powers.  Made me sad when that one just kind of died off and replaced with that dumpster fire now.  The 2003 one I'd put in 3rd a solid third though.

Wich one is this?

5 hours ago, MegaMan52 said:

I thought it started out fine, but then became less and less interested only a few episodes into the first season because it is somewhat biased towards Leo and Donnie. The episodes often focused on them, and they were usually treated as the most important characters. If the 1990 movie is any indication, Raph used to be an important character as well.

Whenever they dodged attacks, I disliked the fact that Donnie would usually jump in the same direction as Leo while Raph would jump in the same direction as Mikey. Whenever they split up, Donnie would usually be with Leo and Raph would be with Mikey. There was at least one episode (season 1 I think?), probably more, where Leo saved the day and Donnie helped in some way while Raph and Mikey just stood around and watched, which doesn't make much sense since Raph is the one that likes fighting and you'd think he would be the one that would help Leo. There was that season 2 episode were Mikey is unconscious, and Leo tells Raph to look after Mikey and Donnie to go with him and fight (what a surprise). But what I disliked most about this series was that episode where Donnie becomes a monster. This happened to Raph in the comics, but I guess they felt the need to change it in order to (once again) keep the focus on Leo and Donnie and have Raph standing beside Mikey all the time and being treated like a less important character. Last but not least, there's that Fast Forward episode where Mikey becomes a monster then later Leo, Donnie, and Splinter turned into monsters as well. Near the end of the episode, there is a close-up shot that just has Leo, Donnie, and Splinter together as monsters but not Mikey. I know Mikey is the Comic Relief and that Raph was the one that had to save the day in that episode, but come on.

Overall I don't hate the series, and I still have a VHS tape that has a recording of the first episode from when it aired in February 2003. I just wish Raph was a more important character than he turned out to be.

I don't remember that so it doesn't seem to have bothered me. But Raphael had anger issues he had to contend with and also he's the focal point of the Casey Jones relationship so it's not nothing.

22 hours ago, cartman said:

Wich one is this?

You'll be sickened if you care about the franchise.  I won't paste images of it.

Google this: teenage mutant ninja turtles 2018 cartoon

If this doesn't bother anyone who was first brought into the series before the last two years watching a few clips, reading up on it, or seeing some captured images of what they did to the franchise it would be safe to say someone didn't care enough in the first place.

2 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

You'll be sickened if you care about the franchise.  I won't paste images of it.

Google this: teenage mutant ninja turtles 2018 cartoon

If this doesn't bother anyone who was first brought into the series before the last two years watching a few clips, reading up on it, or seeing some captured images of what they did to the franchise it would be safe to say someone didn't care enough in the first place.

Yeah it's that new era of cartoons i recognize that style. Seems like shit for sure.

1 minute ago, cartman said:

Yeah it's that new era of cartoons i recognize that style. Seems like shit for sure.

I saw a couple ad pieces before I dropped cable a year ago and it was just sad and infuriating listening to the dialog and how they twisted years of this series into some bastard dumpster fire of a mess.