IGNORED

Majyuo/King of Demons

cartman

What are the thoughts on this game? It's one of top rares in SFC collecting going for large amounts but it also seems to be good otherwise. I hear it's quite dark with the portrayal of the world and demons wich is something i'd probably appreciate.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ifightdragons said:

Pretty much sums the game up perfectly.

My opinion: Stiff movement, but really cool and unique game. I like it.

I can't watch it it might spoil too much. But i've heard good things and the rest of y'all can talk about it here.

Played this game for a little bit a long time ago. I thought it was pretty cool, but didn't play it long as I was also quick test playing many Famicom games back when I first got introduced to emulators and all the wonders of games that I would have never been able to experience otherwise. But sadly, time flowed and I forgot the name of it, until now.

"Forgotten games"? Come on, YouTube person. It's not a top profile SNES game of course, but it's one of the most coveted ones for collectors.

Anyway, to me Majyuuou represents one of the last bastions of a subgenre in action platformers that was rampant on the NES, but pretty much died with the SNES following the attempt to make everything bigger and more colorful in that generation.
There's a completely unique gameplay aspect to the smaller player character with a more limited moveset. My favourite part of the game is definitely the early part when you're playing as the human form. He's not as powerful, but the gameplay is much more interesting. To get the best ending you need to play each subsequent stage using a different beast form, but I only learned recently that it's apparently possible to play the entire game as a human? I need to try that some time soon, to see if it improves my opinion of the game.

Although I'd really like to appreciate the game more, overall I don't think it's as memorable as it could be. A lot of the gameplay falls flat, and the game is quite easy for this style, giving me very little incentive to go and revisit it. But like I said, I need to give it a second chance soon.

It has some pretty awesome setpieces though, like that BDSM scene with the horse masks on the train, and the creepy zombie basement early on.

Edited by Sumez

11 hours ago, phart010 said:

I believe this game got an official licensed reprint. On NA, I used to have a thread on games that were given official reprints that were ok’d by the up holder 

Edit: just found this in the fly:

https://www.play-asia.com/majyuuou/13/70bwyl?ref=froogle_us

Yes i've heard of this. There's the original SFC and then this one and also one with a larger US-box but a SFC shaped cart wich i haven't quite figured what deal is with. But if i bought it i'd want the original SFC one.

What's the deal with the re-release, has anyone checked it for 3.3v components? A lot of Japanese reproduction cartridges tend to have that issue, as well as Piko's releases. I actually thought this was a Piko release, but fortunately I don't see his logo on it.

If the release is decent quality, I'd support it. Though I already own an original cartridge, even if the box is missing.

4 minutes ago, Sumez said:

What's the deal with the re-release, has anyone checked it for 3.3v components? A lot of Japanese reproduction cartridges tend to have that issue, as well as Piko's releases. I actually thought this was a Piko release, but fortunately I don't see his logo on it.

If the release is decent quality, I'd support it. Though I already own an original cartridge, even if the box is missing.

What is this issue and what should it have?

5 minutes ago, Ice Man said:

3.3V carts on a 5V system is the issue.
They're oftenly not level shifted properly meaning Address and Data lines are still getting 5V input resulting in overheating chips and eventually destroying them.

So some original carts are 3.3V or just these new releases? Did some SNES carts get made with subpar technology?

Yeah the system is designed for 5v current, but most modern computer parts are rated at 3.3v because they are designed for lower power consumption. It's just a different standard, not necessarily "subpar".

You can still find 5v components easily, but it might take more work getting specifically what you need, especially for larger production runs. Alternatively you can use a level shifter to make them compatible with the 5v circuits of the console, like Ice Man mentions. I don't actually know the technical details, as I'm not a hardware guy and just paraphrasing (there are lots of thorough articles on it out there, though).
But it's a relevant issue regarding pretty much any modern products released to work with old electronics like NES and SNES consoles. Usually you won't have trouble from serious and trusted sources like INL, RetroUSB, etc. But I definitely wouldn't trust any bootlegs produced within the last decade or two, and anything from dodgy sources like Aliexpress. I know a few Japanese-produced homebrew releases have it too. And then you have people like Piko who's famous for not giving a crap. Several (or all?) of his releases have been proven to have this issue. A few Everdrives had it too, but I believe all current versions have had it fixed, even though Krikzz is one of the people who denied the implications.

The biggest issue with the 3.3v issue is that it won't kill any consoles outright, but it's pretty well recognized that it'll wear them out way faster. So if you don't know any better you could be killing your consoles without realizing it.

In theory 3.3v should be worse for the life of the parts. However, there are a ton of variables at play and even then, there’s some variance in the lifetimes of parts that may have even come from the same batch. Also there’s the ambient temperature of the room that the system is operating in.. Prolonged exposure to heat is ultimately what kills the circuits.. the lower voltage just causes more current (and in turn, more heat) to flow.. You  could argue that continuous operation in a hot environment of ALL original equipment would last less years than continuous operation of Chinese 3.3v carts in an air conditioned environment..

Its difficult to make solid conclusions about the seriousness of the voltage mismatch because there are many variables at play and actual testing to determine mean time to failure is so long (measured in years) that it would take too long for anyone to seriously consider testing.

But yea, it’s better to err on the side of caution and stick with the 5v.

Id like to see someone post a current flow diagram to show specifically which parts in the cartridge and in the system are exposed to the overcurrent when using 3.3v carts.

Edited by phart010