IGNORED

what are your fellings toward "i buy video game" ads?

I used to post WTB ads on local kijiji / FB. My thought was always you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I would flat out tell folks what I would be selling for and offer around 60% of what they are worth. I would explain that gives me room to be flexible on pricing for other folks, they get an easy transaction no fuss no muss and its alot higher than most other people would offer (Alot of people tend to offer like 10-20% of what they would sell for lol)

Made a decent chunk of coin that way and folks were pretty happy. Helped me grow my NES collection fast / on the cheap (this was like 3-4y ago probably). Could buy up a large collection, kept everything I wanted, sell off the rest and still end up ahead to buy more stuff. 

Always had the random people think they were funny by sending me photos of "I found these in my basement" and was like samson, bonks, etc. I treated them like it was real, said if they are actual copies they are fairly valuable, would need to get them checked just because there is alot of reproductions blah blah blah. Had one guy try to keep going and be like "How much do you think my NWC gold catridge is worth?"

Everyone's a joker, never let it bug me though 

Edited by Woobie

2 hours ago, spacepup said:

My sincere advice skinny: Just roll your eyes and move on.

Just try to be a stand-up person and be honest, honor deals, not take advantage of anyone, and be happy with that knowing you're doing the right thing, and focus on that.

i mean im not losing sleep over it lol. i just wondered what others thoughts are on the subject. 

no doubt and be sure to be thankful as well. 

Yeah, I get a little annoyed with these ads too, and I shouldn't. I could do the same thing. It's really no different then me letting people I work with know I collect and if they have anything they want to get rid of to let me know. Maybe What irks me is that I feel like these ads will dry up what little there is left of people who actually post video game deals on marketplace. 

I'm pretty sure these are the same people who show up 2 hours early to a 9 am start time rummage sale to scoop up the deals before those people who respect the set times by the seller have a chance to even show up. I'd also put them in the same group as those people who make backdoor deals with people at thrift shops to set all the games aside for them, thus you never see games on the shelves. 

Maybe why I get mad at these ads is I know people who do this, and they are 90% resellers and 10% collectors. Not that reselling is wrong, we all do it to some extent. But it's the people who spin it as "I collect games" but really mean "I'm gonna sell these in a day".

But whatever. I don't stress too much about it anymore.

• Like 2

I wouldn’t mind them posting except I get a feeling that the people posting these ads on the video game section of Craigslist feel that they own the video game section. They post the ad every single day and if you post an ad for a specific game you are looking for they will have your ad removed pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ALLKAPS said:

Maybe why I get mad at these ads is I know people who do this, and they are 90% resellers and 10% collectors. Not that reselling is wrong, we all do it to some extent. But it's the people who spin it as "I collect games" but really mean "I'm gonna sell these in a day".

Ya we had a few folks like that here ha ha. They would constantly post ads about buying games then turn around and list the games they just bought a day later. Also they tended to mark up about ebay +20% which was insane, especially for the market here (also whenever you ask, price is firm). They tended to sit on stuff for months, then eventually would drop to a more reasonable level. I think most of them peaced out though with the nobody buying retro stuff anymore and even the local shops giving next to nothing for trade.

Also was fun to watch when two of them started posting ads back and forth bashing eachother...

2 hours ago, Woobie said:

Always had the random people think they were funny by sending me photos of "I found these in my basement" and was like samson, bonks, etc. I treated them like it was real, said if they are actual copies they are fairly valuable, would need to get them checked just because there is alot of reproductions blah blah blah. Had one guy try to keep going and be like "How much do you think my NWC gold catridge is worth?"

Everyone's a joker, never let it bug me though 

i just figured this is what comes with the territory of placing such an ad.

i think its just nature to be upset seeing someone gaining from doing something that they themselves do not agree with.

its interesting.