IGNORED

what are your fellings toward "i buy video game" ads?

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, skinnygrinny said:

like the ones you see on a public marketplace.

so lol when i see them i get all "this mf'r...".

shouldnt bother me but it does.

Nothing stopping you from making your own ad?

I wouldn't lay it out like a troll ad, but mention that you do purchase games (and list what systems) and to send you a list and you can give a general quote.

I work for (insert big company) at HQ and we have an internal buy/sell/trade website. I've had quite a bit success posting wanted ads. I'm always straight up with them. They give me a list of their games or pictures, I tell them how much Gamestop would give them since it's easy to look up online, and then beat that price by a few bucks. They bring it to work with them the next day and we make the transaction. Works pretty well for everyone. I get a good deal and they get to unload their games without having to make a trip to Gamestop. 

I don't bother posting those types of ads on Facebook or Craigslist though since it tends to bring out people who think they're totally original and funny and waste your time.

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, A_Feisty_Pickle said:

I work for (insert big company) at HQ and we have an internal buy/sell/trade website. I've had quite a bit success posting wanted ads. I'm always straight up with them. They give me a list of their games or pictures, I tell them how much Gamestop would give them since it's easy to look up online, and then beat that price by a few bucks. They bring it to work with them the next day and we make the transaction. Works pretty well for everyone. I get a good deal and they get to unload their games without having to make a trip to Gamestop. 

I tried buying games off our company's site once.  I was all excited because she said she had SNES stuff and the box was so heavy she could barely lift it, and it was 20 bucks.

It was a console with hookups and controllers, and I think Mario World and Street Fighter II.   It was so heavy because of the dot matrix printer in the box with it.

My buddies at work know I do the game thing on the side, so they'll offer stuff to me before they take it to Gamestop.   I give them the Gamestop trade price but in cash and they're good with that.

Also got a sweet barely used boxed TG16 console for 40 bucks.   Flipped that to @VGD

8 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I tried buying games off our company's site once.  I was all excited because she said she had SNES stuff and the box was so heavy she could barely lift it, and it was 20 bucks.

It was a console with hookups and controllers, and I think Mario World and Street Fighter II.   It was so heavy because of the dot matrix printer in the box with it.

My buddies at work know I do the game thing on the side, so they'll offer stuff to me before they take it to Gamestop.   I give them the Gamestop trade price but in cash and they're good with that.

Also got a sweet barely used boxed TG16 console for 40 bucks.   Flipped that to @VGD

Thanks again Dave!

20200415_200234.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bowser said:

This type of ad will definitely bring out the troll in me haha.

Hey I know! GoCollect is behind this ad for sure. Lines up perfectly with what's going on with GVN at the moment.

Fucking moron literally refers to first Flinstones as the cheap one then claims not to know how much the $500 ++ games are worth. What a dick.

• Haha 2

I contacted a few of those people running Craigslist ads, and asked what they'd pay for a full loose US N64 set, which I do have and was seriously considering selling at the time, so wasn't just trolling.  The best offer was $400.  Pissed me off enough that I put another ad on CL showing the offers and who had made them (by referencing thier wanted ads) with a link to GVN (this was before the GoCollect BS) and a general warning not to deal with these people. My post was deleted within a day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, VGD said:

Thanks again Dave!

20200415_200234.jpg

I'm just glad the dude didn't throw it away.  

The whole reason I ended up with it is he was talking to one of my other work buddies about all the stuff he used to have that he threw away.   I whipped around real quick when he mentioned a TurboGrafx.   He said it might be buried in his attic, and sure enough it was along with a boxed Atari 5200 with 10 boxed games and a boxed trackball.

• Like 1

I love me some capitalism, and I can't hate on someone for trying to make a buck. I'd like to think that most of the time when someone makes an ad like that, they're reasonable about it. Maybe paying out 7-8 bucks for a game they plan on selling for 20 on ebay or whatever. Like 2nd hand stores trade in prices. But who knows really. Some people are a-holes.

And this dude... I mean wtf. Hahahaha

And that "God bless" at the end, wow. I sincerely hope that no one gets swindled by this d-bag. Hopefully people have called him out in the craigslist ads. I've seen that happen before.

2 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

a0jz1pin1tmkw116g.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, profholt82 said:

And this dude... I mean wtf. Hahahaha

And that "God bless" at the end, wow. I sincerely hope that no one gets swindled by this d-bag. Hopefully people have called him out in the craigslist ads. I've seen that happen before.

Don't forget the part where he explains that he doesn't have the games anymore because he gave them to charity. 😆

• Like 1

My experience with these ppl is they have no collection to speak of and are generally gutter folks. They crawl out of the sewer to collect their warez and retreat back into their hole. They have that sealed copy of Spyro they're planning their retirement around have all the CIB shovelware you could ever dream of. 

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Don't forget the part where he explains that he doesn't have the games anymore because he gave them to charity. 😆

it so good. hits so many good angles. help out someone in need. uses his kid. gave away to charity. willing to pay more than they could possibly be worth. btw $1 for any old crappy mario game. and last but not least a blessing.

legend.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, A_Feisty_Pickle said:

I don't bother posting those types of ads on Facebook or Craigslist though since it tends to bring out people who think they're totally original and funny and waste your time.

id be scared to trust any lead from a wtb ad like this. they must get stood up all the time.

Administrator · Posted

My sincere advice skinny: Just roll your eyes and move on.  Things like this really aren't worth getting angry about --- there are always going to be people out there trying to make a buck, ESPECIALLY on places like craigslist, facebook groups, etc.  I ignored stuff like this years ago, as it's just not worth spending any time thinking about or getting perturbed by.

I see rants here and there about craigslist ads, facebook ads, ebay listings, etc., and there's frankly just not much we can really do about what other people are doing, and thinking about it or getting upset usually doesn't do anything constructive.  I get that sometimes we're just venting a bit, and that's ok, but I'll see people go around trolling others, and messaging back and forth, and getting into arguments, and I just wonder what good that really does other than get ya more upset.

I think when you sort of...come to terms and find some peace with all the silly shenanigans out there, and just move on day by day goin' after your goals, you can be much happier with this hobby.  

I suppose my comments extend beyond this thread or this particular issue - but just to the hobby in general, and trying not to get too worked up about things we can't control, or things that other people are doing.  Just try to be a stand-up person and be honest, honor deals, not take advantage of anyone, and be happy with that knowing you're doing the right thing, and focus on that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spacepup said:

My sincere advice skinny: Just roll your eyes and move on.  Things like this really aren't worth getting angry about --- there are always going to be people out there trying to make a buck, ESPECIALLY on places like craigslist, facebook groups, etc.  I ignored stuff like this years ago, as it's just not worth spending any time thinking about or getting perturbed by.

I see rants here and there about craigslist ads, facebook ads, ebay listings, etc., and there's frankly just not much we can really do about what other people are doing, and thinking about it or getting upset usually doesn't do anything constructive.  I get that sometimes we're just venting a bit, and that's ok, but I'll see people go around trolling others, and messaging back and forth, and getting into arguments, and I just wonder what good that really does other than get ya more upset.

I think when you sort of...come to terms and find some peace with all the silly shenanigans out there, and just move on day by day goin' after your goals, you can be much happier with this hobby.  

I suppose my comments extend beyond this thread or this particular issue - but just to the hobby in general, and trying not to get too worked up about things we can't control, or things that other people are doing.  Just try to be a stand-up person and be honest, honor deals, not take advantage of anyone, and be happy with that knowing you're doing the right thing, and focus on that.

Hey, this is an internet forum. It's no place for that type of fair and level-headed attitude. 😜

• Haha 2