IGNORED

Dragon Warrior 2/3 Mail Away Poster

snk2d4ever

I don't know the answer, but as far as II & III being "rare," I don't think that's the case, at least not in the context of retail.  By the time they had dropped DW4, it makes sense that the previous two entries would be harder to find, as they'd most likely stopped shipping new units for both a decent amount of time prior.  Googling around, it appears that DW2 dropped in North America in 1988, and DW3 appears to have had some limited release in 1991 but not officially dropped until (presumably) early 1992, with DW4 following up in October of 1992.  I can't see any date information on the letter posted, but if it was from 1993-1994 and they'd kept shipping DW4 but not any of the earlier games, their classification of 2 & 3 as "hard to find" would make sense, but wouldn't really make them "rare," just hard to find or not longer available at retail.

I've very-often wondered that of the many promo materials posted in these games from the NES/SNES era, if you took the time to find the customer support lines for these US companies and asked if they still had any NOS, if you'd find anything.  I mean. It's not likely, but not impossible.  Between the 10-15 big companies that are still around and the inventory they've had, there's likely a box somewhere with old stuff in it, and if the price books kept getting pushed into new inventory management systems, there's a small chance it wasn't chunked.

I've been a database manager for a couple of companies with inventory.  When there is shelf space and you don't need the extra room in the warehouse, you'd be surprised how long NOS can set around.  The Enix stuff is almost certainly gone since they likely merged with Square and consolidated any warehouses they had with the stuff.  Still, I bet there is some of this promotional material still out there, setting on company shelves just waiting for someone to ask for the right item, with the right SKU.

10 minutes ago, RH said:

I've very-often wondered that of the many promo materials posted in these games from the NES/SNES era, if you took the time to find the customer support lines for these US companies and asked if they still had any NOS, if you'd find anything.  I mean. It's not likely, but not impossible.  Between the 10-15 big companies that are still around and the inventory they've had, there's likely a box somewhere with old stuff in it, and if the price books kept getting pushed into new inventory management systems, there's a small chance it wasn't chunked.

I've been a database manager for a couple of companies with inventory.  When there is shelf space and you don't need the extra room in the warehouse, you'd be surprised how long NOS can set around.  The Enix stuff is almost certainly gone since they likely merged with Square and consolidated any warehouses they had with the stuff.  Still, I bet there is some of this promotional material still out there, setting on company shelves just waiting for someone to ask for the right item, with the right SKU.

Last year I called the 8 remaining Blockbusters in Alaska and Texas to ask them if they had any vintage games left for sale. Half of them said they had a bunch of PlayStation 2 games but nothing older.

I have a copy of the DWII poster. The picture shown is indeed the mail away poster that you mentioned in Warrior World.

I've seen a few of the DWII posters over the years, but have never seen the DWIII. I've been looking for that for years.

What Warrior World newsletters do you have besides Spring 1993, snk2d4ever?

-Patrick