IGNORED

Touched Up NES Box

I bought what I thought was a nice copy of Final Fantasy complete for NES and it arrived from eBay today. After opening it and showing a few of the imperfections on the box to my wife I noticed that the Box has been touched up with a black marker. Personally I would never touch up a box and wouldn’t knowingly buy one if at all possible. Since it is now here though I’m wondering how a touched up box would effect grading and value?

I remember seeing some Wata games that were graded and it mentioned the box was touched up so I was wondering is there a set amount that is automatically deducted due to any touch ups? Does it depend on the amount of the box that was touched up?

I hate to put a value on it, but I also want to make sure that I got fair value on my purchase. If there is any discussion or information available on how touching up a box with marker effects the grade or value please let me know.

8 minutes ago, Gloves said:

"Touched up" is equivalent to defaced, IMO. I'd personally value it the same as a beaten up box. I dunno how that equates to the market though.

That’s why I normally avoid them. Not sure if I should just try and return it or what. I know it’s something that will always bother me and will eventually require an upgrade.

Maybe I will see what the seller says and go from there. I sent them a message and simply asked if they were aware someone had touched it up with a picture.

Wish whoever done it would have just left it alone as it would have been a solid copy without touching it up at all.

Edit: To be clear, I realize it’s a decision I will have to make but I’m trying to gather as much information on how this effects it according to the community. Being more informed will hopefully help make the decision.

Edited by DeuceGamer

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, DeuceGamer said:

That’s why I normally avoid them. Not sure if I should just try and return it or what. I know it’s something that will always bother me and will eventually require an upgrade.

Maybe I will see what the seller says and go from there. I sent them a message and simply asked if they were aware someone had touched it up with a picture.

Wish whoever done it would have just left it alone as it would have been a solid copy without touching it up at all.

Edit: To be clear, I realize it’s a decision I will have to make but I’m trying to gather as much information on how this effects it according to the community. Being more informed will hopefully help make the decision.

If it wasn't disclosed in the listing then I'd return it for sure. (personally)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

If it wasn't disclosed in the listing then I'd return it for sure. (personally)

If they offered a partial refund I may consider it since the maps and cartridge are really nice with the thought that I will have to upgrade the box at some point in the future. Otherwise it will definitely go back. 

It definitely was not disclosed in the listing or I wouldn’t have bothered. It even stated something along the lines that there was a little wear here and there but it retained its shape and  boxes in this condition is rare. 😞

Unfortunately the seller did not respond to my message. He doesn’t accept returns so I had to request one through the eBay Guarantee. 

For reference, here is the listing: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223931233880

I tried to upload pictures to eBay but it’s hard to show black marker on a black box with a camera, especially to the untrained eye. Little worried they will look at the picture and be like “I don’t see any marker...”. 

I attached a picture that is similar to one I uploaded to eBay.

F2DD1CC0-1F5F-4CBE-9034-7B60219F3E0B.jpeg

Administrator · Posted

Damn. The photos on the listing don't make that clear at all. I can just about guarantee ebay will have your back on this one.

image.png

Interestingly, it looks like by your photos there's some minor damage to the letters, and that's not shown on the photo AT ALL. I'm almost inclined to say that they photoshopped it or sent you a different box.

That said, the box you got and the one in the listing both have a minor tear at the top-right of the face, so it does LOOK to be the same box. Just, what you received is in worse shape for sure than what was in the listing's photos.

4 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Damn. The photos on the listing don't make that clear at all. I can just about guarantee ebay will have your back on this one.

image.png

Interestingly, it looks like by your photos there's some minor damage to the letters, and that's not shown on the photo AT ALL. I'm almost inclined to say that they photoshopped it or sent you a different box.

That said, the box you got and the one in the listing both have a minor tear at the top-right of the face, so it does LOOK to be the same box. Just, what you received is in worse shape for sure than what was in the listing's photos.

Yea, I wondered the same but the shot from the top lid you can see some of the same wear on the edge so at least some of the pictures are of the same box. 

Talking to my wife I also pointed out that the dots missing from the letters are not in the listing, which we thought was a bit suspicious.

I’ve never had to deal with a touched up box and guess I don’t know what to expect from eBay. Glad you seem to think they will side with me without an issue.

Most people treat video game boxes like comic books or art where any sort of restoration is considered degrading/devaluing to the item.  Just be prepared, though, that the seller may think it's "no big deal".  

Personally, I think color touch is probably over the line, but I've done heating/pressing on manuals/boxes before to make them look nicer or get rid of creases, and I know I'm not the only one that's done stuff like that.  It's still restoration, but it doesn't add anything to the actual item like touch-up does.  Maybe that's the distinction that gets people put off.

4 minutes ago, epiclotus said:

Most people treat video game boxes like comic books or art where any sort of restoration is considered degrading/devaluing to the item.  Just be prepared, though, that the seller may think it's "no big deal".  

Personally, I think color touch is probably over the line, but I've done heating/pressing on manuals/boxes before to make them look nicer or get rid of creases, and I know I'm not the only one that's done stuff like that.  It's still restoration, but it doesn't add anything to the actual item like touch-up does.  Maybe that's the distinction that gets people put off.

Yea, I don’t mind flattening boxes or manuals. Obviously I would prefer a mint box, but those things aren’t deal breakers to me. I think the distinction that crosses the line is probably altering the item by adding stuff to it. Especially since it wasn’t noted in the description.

Sadly, the box may have been ok to a lot of buyers in the original condition without the marker. Possibly even including myself. Hard to say for certain, but it wouldn’t be the instant dealbreaker the marker was for me.

6 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Not only is the box damaged but someone also wrote on it with a marker so that's 2 things against the grade. It would grade higher without the marker.

Even tho it looked in better condition in the pictures than it would without the marker, I probably would have just kept it without any complaints if it didn’t have the marker on it. I guess that’s proof that at least I would personally attach a higher condition score to it without the marker being added.

For full disclosure I thought I should reply and provide an update. Apparently the seller had responded and I was looking under my messages but it went directly under the return so I hadn’t seen it.

He stated he did not realize and had owned it for a long time and doesn’t have the best lighting. He did say that he didn’t necessarily agree that marker devalues it as there isn’t a consensus on the issue. He also pointed out that it sold at a price below some others that had more wear and that he would offer a 30% discount for me to keep it. 

30% off seems fair and since he did quickly respond and was obviously wanting to resolve the issue in a manner that satisfied me I thought the thread should be updated and noted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hammerfestus said:

There is a consensus.  Marker always devalues it.  I’m drunk and I still don’t want your scribbled on crap.

Yea, I’d say there is a consensus among hardcore collectors but we also have to remember that there are a ton of people that don’t frequent forums like this or collect with the same level of passion we do. Some people are willing to collect repro boxes, manuals, and carts and are fine with those. Obviously to us those are a waste, but there is a market for them and that’s probably the same buyers that wouldn’t mind a touched up box.

I’m glad he resolved it but I do think he should make sure to be more open about those types of things in the future. 

Edited by DeuceGamer