IGNORED

Bought a copy of grind stormer that looks like it was buried for 20 years!

I just bought a rough copy of grind stormer cart only that looks like it was buried since 1999 and dug up. 

https://offerup.com/item/detail/813351849/

anyone suggest how to clean the label? I’m thinking first just rub it with a t shirt and then maybe a tiny bit of water if needed. Just wondering if anyone has a better idea .

PS I know there is a good chance this game won’t work since it’s a notorious for having tons of non working games but I only paid 13 and some cents shipped so I thought I would take the gamble!

Edited by Neo Geo strong

33 minutes ago, Neo Geo strong said:

I just bought a rough copy of grind stormer cart only that looks like it was buried since 1999 and dug up. 

https://offerup.com/item/detail/813351849/

anyone suggest how to clean the label? I’m thinking first just rub it with a t shirt and then maybe a tiny bit of water if needed. Just wondering if anyone has a better idea .

PS I know there is a good chance this game won’t work since it’s a notorious for having tons of non working games but I only paid 13 and some cents shipped so I thought I would take the gamble!

If it works, there are tons of broken carts you can negotiate for.

Yeah that looks terrible.  A few years back I bought a broken one intentionally as it was pristine outside.  They're pretty easy to fix even with the most ghetto of soldering irons too.  The best cheapo board to use is a Sega Menacer cart as it has the same configuration and people dump them super cheap.  All you do is really de-solder the one chip on the board that houses the game and it's large (on both.)  Just toss out the gun game chip and mount the other in its place and it's solid for years to come.

sumez- hmm i just checked the link and it worked for me? The problems with it is the label is ripped badly and covered in dirt. The bottom side where the board is exposed looks like tons of dirt and grim sitting in there.

tanooki- yeah man its rough but if it works i think its a good buy... I would much prefer to keep the original board but i will keep it in mind! ill try to add a pic after i clean it up the best i can. i think i can get a lot of the dirt off the label with just rubbing it with a cotton cloth.

Well, the link doesn't work. It's just a big "Error 1020" page. Maybe it requires you to be logged in? I don't think it would be hard to include an image in your post.

Either way, it sounds like you at least shouldn't even try to plug in this cartridge until you've already tried cleaning it thoroughly. Don't want the dirt spreading to your console.

I can’t believe it! This game works perfect after a ton of cleaning. I will probably  end  up buying a broken copy for cheap to replace the label.

I’m just so ecstatic to get this game. I would say toaplan is my absolute favorite shoot em up developer. Take a shot with a dirty dirt covered game guys,  you might be surprised!

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 1:24 AM, Sumez said:

Well, the link doesn't work. It's just a big "Error 1020" page. Maybe it requires you to be logged in? I don't think it would be hard to include an image in your post.

Either way, it sounds like you at least shouldn't even try to plug in this cartridge until you've already tried cleaning it thoroughly. Don't want the dirt spreading to your console.

Yeah your right but for some reason I can’t ever save a offer up pic maybe the app is set up that way on purpose. Trust me it’s super rough but it works so I’m happy!

Great to hear!

Yeah, a dirty game is never an indication that it shouldn't work. Even if some dirt gets into the cartridge and on the PCB, it's unlikely to cause any damage. Of course with enough dirt/moisture, that could end up causing rust on some connections which would damage the game, but as long as the connector is functional, there's no reason a ROM based game shouldn't work.