IGNORED

Missed a Bid :(

I'm not gonna lie, I'm one of those crazy people who only bid manually. I don't take collecting too seriously and it keeps things in perspective. If I forget and miss out because I was doing something else, then I guess that item wasn't really that important to me.

I'm not knocking anyone else for doing the logical & smart thing. I just live for the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. It's one of my favorite parts of collecting. I am crazy.

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
10 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I'm not gonna lie, I'm one of those crazy people who only bid manually. I don't take collecting too seriously and it keeps things in perspective. If I forget and miss out because I was doing something else, then I guess that item wasn't really that important to me.

I'm not knocking anyone else for doing the logical & smart thing. I just live for the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. It's one of my favorite parts of collecting. I am crazy.

You're not crazy!  I totally get it.  I've had people tell me I'm stupid or wasteful for not using sniping tools, but...that doesn't bother me too much.  I try not to take this all super seriously either, and sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.  It's not really the end of the world either way.

• Like 1

Just be happy you aren't bidding on shit in Japan where the auctions all and in the middle of the night.  Snipping programs won't even really help you since last minute bids will extend the auction time.  If you really want something, either snip ewith some ridiculous amount, or set your alarm hope you don't sleep through it.

As for ebay, I find sniping tools almost completely unnecessary and I've never used a sniping tool and never plan on it.  If you just can't remember to snipe or forget then the item wasn't really important and you just saved yourself some money.  Don't worry, another shiny object will come along later.  And furthermore, all the good deals are BIN anyway, so sniping tools are basically useless since you will just be paying market rate  anyway.

Edited by peg

Administrator · Posted

Overall, you may be right on average regarding auction-style listings - but...I've also scored some AMAZING deals with standard auctions that somehow just magically passed by without people noticing.  It won't happen probably on something super popular or in high demand - but I definitely have had some great success with both BIN and standard listings.  The other day I won a PS2 trade demo for under $20 that I expected to go well over $100 - you just never know.  Of course, most of the stuff I bid on isn't crazy popular, and a lot of it is a bit obscure or imports - so for those, some of the standard auction-style listings can end for way less than 'market' just depending on timing and luck.