IGNORED

Missed a Bid :(

Never happens to me.  Gixen.com is free and 99.5% reliable according to their site.  I never had any issues.  I like the site enough that I pay the $6 a year fee for the mirror sniping service which is 100% effective (you snipe from two different servers in case one was down).  

Never have had a missed bid feeling in a decade plus of collecting.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jonebone said:

Never happens to me.  Gixen.com is free and 99.5% reliable according to their site.  I never had any issues.  I like the site enough that I pay the $6 a year fee for the mirror sniping service which is 100% effective (you snipe from two different servers in case one was down).  

Never have had a missed bid feeling in a decade plus of collecting.  

Yes, Gixen is the best and totally worth that extra bucks to help support them. I've been able to get auctions that ended at 4am while I was sleeping because of them.

...and whooaa what's the story behind the price on Ibara?

Edited by Skorp

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, RH said:

I just don’t trust any site with my eBay password.

Well, I might if it was managed by @Gloves. Ha!

To be honest if @jonebone uses it as he claims, it has my seal of approval. Just use a random password on eBay as you should for everywhere anyway. 

16 minutes ago, jonebone said:

It doesn't need your Ebay password.

Nice!  About a year ago I looked at a couple of services and they required your eBay user ID and password.  This changes everything for me.  From their site:

Do I have to give away my eBay credentials?

No. This used to be the case, but as of August 2017, you need to register Gixen.com username and password, and authorize Gixen.com to place bids for you on eBay. 

Also, is there a BIN watcher tool, where the site imports your Watch list and for each item, you can submit a "minimal price" value so that if the item is ever discounted to a certain point, it will auto-buy it?  It would kind of be a BIN sniper.  I have had items I've watched for a long time, then they were discounted and, boom, someone got the item before me. 😕

1 hour ago, Skorp said:

...and whooaa what's the story behind the price on Ibara?

It's been a pricey game for a long time. Cave SHMUPS (and most good-to-great Japanese-exclusive SHMUPS) typically are. I got mine almost five years ago, and it was a $150-$200 game then.

Edited by Philosoraptor

Administrator · Posted
2 hours ago, B.A. said:

I've still never really gotten on board with sniping programs, so that happens to me a lot.  I've used them a few times but I still do 95% of my ebay bidding the old fashioned way. 

I don't know why exactly, but I'm the same way.  Something about using all those programs feels a bit like cheating to me or something.  And even though I know many other bidders and collectors are doing it (the competition), and I'm at a disadvantage not doing it, it just doesn't feel right to me.

To be clear - I don't have some moral issue with it or anything -- I mean, many of my friends use them all the time.  It just doesn't feel the same to me.  Yes - I've absolutely forgotten about some items or missed out on bids due to not remembering or life getting in the way, but I guess I just kinda roll with it and move on thinking maybe that's just how it should be. 

I think once all the sniping started, it took a lot of the fun away because now all the action for most auctions occurs in the final 10 seconds of every auction.  

2 hours ago, Californication said:

Damnit. I was watching an auction for the last three days and forgot to bid at the last few minutes. 

Ibara for the PS2 went for $137 plus $4 shipping. 

I don't have any where else to cry so 😞

I wish ebay would alert you when there are only a few minutes left. Like a beep or something. Sometimes I will be watching an auction, minimize it, get distracted, and then realize I missed it.

Damn if $137 is a low price for Ibara it must have been increasing a lot lately. Better get it before it gets worse. 😮 Might as well get the PCB at that point.

Either way, it's an absolutely amazing game! Even though the PS2 game gets a lot of flak, it's perfectly playable and you gotta be a bit of a purist to really care. The world record holder on arcade at one point even set a comparable record on PS2 just to prove a point.

754024-ibara-arcade-screenshot-battling- 754026-ibara-arcade-screenshot-second-st 754040-ibara-arcade-screenshot-5th-stage

Edited by Sumez

29 minutes ago, spacepup said:

I think once all the sniping started, it took a lot of the fun away because now all the action for most auctions occurs in the final 10 seconds of every auction.  

Basically eBay is broken by having fixed end times for auctions, that makes sniping the most effective strategy, undoubtedly giving you the best chance to win. Compare to Yahoo Auctions Japan, they've addressed this by extending the end time by 5-6 minutes if a bid is placed in the last 5-6 minutes, auctions can be extended indefinitely to allow a bid war at the end, while not good for buyers this is better for business as items tend to sell for higher prices and that means more commission for the auction site and more money/incentive for the sellers.

1 minute ago, Abelardo said:

Basically eBay is broken by having fixed end times for auctions, that makes sniping the most effective strategy, undoubtedly giving you the best chance to win. Compare to Yahoo Auctions Japan, they've addressed this by extending the end time by 5-6 minutes if a bid is placed in the last 5-6 minutes, auctions can be extended indefinitely to allow a bid war at the end, while not good for buyers this is better for business as items tend to sell for higher prices and that means more commission for the auction site and more money/incentive for the sellers.

I’m really surprised this hasn’t been implemented on eBay yet.

Guys, I've been manually sniping for 20 years.  Even before there were tools, if I could be sure to be present when an auction was about to end, I was sitting at my computer in my dorm room, refreshing ever 5 seconds, and bidding when there were 20 seconds left (which was risky back in 1999.)

I know it's easy to get annoyed by, but even if we didn't have apps to do it, people would do it manually, so these services are just that, services.  IMHO, the point of having 7-10 day auctions isn't because bids will trickle in but it provides a good time frame for advertisement.  People will search for a specific item throughout the week, and they can favorite and come back Sunday Night for the final bid... or put in a nice bid to bump up the current price.

Administrator · Posted
49 minutes ago, Abelardo said:

I guess it's just a trade-off.  I've bought hundreds of items off Yahoo Auctions and unfortunately, I've encountered many times where the auction kept getting extended over and over.  I definitely think it increases the end price.  And people are using sniping programs for that one as well.  Putting in last second bids just before the 5 minutes, or just at the end.  I guess at least with yahoo auctions, you don't truly risk getting sniped without any opportunity.  If you REALLY want something, you can absolutely keep bidding if you're there.

Obviously using sniping tools will yield better results over time.  But then again...maybe I'd have spent more money if I used them, so I guess it's not all bad haha!