IGNORED

Game Boy Weekly Contest Round 4: Game & Watch Gallery

Red

Hello and welcome to the fourth round of the Game Boy Weekly Contest!  This week's game is Game & Watch Gallery.

Rules:

- Play Fire on Hard difficulty in Modern mode until you reach 1000 points or Game Over

-If you reach Game Over, your run ends there

-If you reach at least 1000 points, take a picture for 1000 points (you will not get extra points for this contest even if you get over 1000)

-If you reach 1000 on Hard difficulty, you may start a new game on Very Hard - You may play this mode until you reach 2000 points or get 1 Miss

-If you get 1 miss in this mode, your run ends there (add your score to the 1000 points from Hard mode)

-You do not have to restart in Hard mode if you miss in Very Hard.  Once you get 1000 points in Hard, you may add that score to any future attempt in Very Hard.

-If you reach at least 2000 points in this mode, take a picture for 2000 additional points (you will not get extra points for this contest even if you get over 2000)

-Highest score wins (maximum possible score is 3000)

-You have until 11:00 PM EST on Sunday, December 29, 2019 to submit your score.

For general contest rules, click here:

https://www.videogamesage.com/topic/1468-game-boy-weekly-contest-leaderboard-rules-20192020/

Good luck and have fun!

SCOREBOARD:

1. 2,614 (acromite53) +11
2. 2,233 (koifish) +10
3. 1,903 (arnpoly) +9
4. 1,669 (Splain) +8
5. 1,412 (0xDEAFC0DE) +7
6. 94 (ecmyers) +6
7. 93 (Ausden) +5

Edited by Red

6 hours ago, acromite53 said:

Question: Once we get a miss on Very Hard mode, can we start our next run on Very Hard, or do we have to Start the whole thing over on Hard?

You don't have to start the whole thing over.  Once you get a miss on Very Hard mode, you should start your next attempt on Very Hard and add the 1000 points you already earned playing in Hard mode.  I'll add clarification to the rules.

I'm having trouble with photographing the score on Very Hard while still proving that I only have one miss. When the game is paused, your miss count isn't displayed, and when the game isn't paused, you can very easily either 1) get another miss, at which point it looks suspect that you have more than one miss, or 2) you might accidentally get more points just from the trampoline sitting in the leftmost position.

I'm troubled about this currently because my current best is 308 in very hard mode, but I didn't really have any way to take a picture that proved not only that I had 308, but that it was my first miss as well. @Red, what do you suggest we do?

Also, I want to complain that this game does not save your score if you quit mid-game, only when you get Game Over. That means that when you hit 1000 in Hard Mode,  you need to then let yourself get 3 misses, rather than quitting the game outright. Don't make the same mistake I did! You'll kick yourself for wasting your time getting the first 1000 game.

First entry for the record, 1513, my third new high score of the day from practicing very hard.

I need to practice my thumb movements more, the rapid left to right movements needed for this game at very hard are sometimes too close and I flub them up. Other than that, it just comes down to getting "in the zone" and letting your practice pay its dividends.

IMG_20191223_2247463~2.jpg

12 hours ago, koifish said:

I'm having trouble with photographing the score on Very Hard while still proving that I only have one miss. When the game is paused, your miss count isn't displayed, and when the game isn't paused, you can very easily either 1) get another miss, at which point it looks suspect that you have more than one miss, or 2) you might accidentally get more points just from the trampoline sitting in the leftmost position.

I'm troubled about this currently because my current best is 308 in very hard mode, but I didn't really have any way to take a picture that proved not only that I had 308, but that it was my first miss as well. @Red, what do you suggest we do?

You can take the picture while it's paused.  I'm just going to have to rely on the participants to take their picture after their first miss.

Editorials Team · Posted

1000 (newer score below)

Here's my ticket to the Big Kids club. Haven't gotten a respectable score in Very Hard yet, so I'm posting this just in case I lose track of time or something. Yes I was playing in the darkness, and yes I used another GBA SP to shine some light on the username.

qqKSb5n.jpg

Edited by Splain

Editorials Team · Posted

3zzeT1S.jpg?1

Those DK Jr guys can get bent. And I'm starting to adopt the strategy of completely ignoring all eggs, because although the 15 pt bonus is nice when you get a star, having to drop the bombs on purpose is too much to think about and the reason I got a miss at 669.

IMG_20191229_112126.thumb.jpg.f68f7d160294306b0bad3de2ffff2fd7.jpg

I could tell pretty early on I was not good at this game. So, I'll definitely not be getting first place this time. My high score for the longest time was 998 (I was so mad), but finally I've passed 1000. I'll keep going to see what I can get on very hard but I don't have high hopes. 

@arnpoly there's no obvious way to do it. You either have to copy the formatting from someone else's score or force desktop site to see the option. 

Edited by 0xDEAFC0DE
Fixing images

Hi Red, yes, it's here. I wasn't completely sure if it was required, since getting 1000 on hard is a prerequisite for unlocking very hard in the first place. There is another pic somewhere but I can't find it right now. I actually had to unlock it twice because of the bit I mentioned early in the thread about how quitting in-game doesn't save your score.

I'm sorry also that this pic is so blurry. The other one is clearer but I can't find it. Either way, this one shows the rounded shape of the flower in the corner as well as the 1016 in the top-right.

IMG_20191223_0921283~2.jpg

On 1/2/2020 at 1:48 PM, koifish said:

Hi Red, yes, it's here. I wasn't completely sure if it was required, since getting 1000 on hard is a prerequisite for unlocking very hard in the first place.

Thanks.  Even though I didn't doubt that you got at least 1000, I'd like to be consistent in requiring a picture for all scores achieved.

• Like 1