IGNORED

Is the original Gameboy worth owning to play?

BriGuy82

23 minutes ago, BortLicensePlate said:

No idea why the GBA SP is so popular. I cant stand using it. The GB Color and Pocket are much more comfortable

It's more popular for it's double backlit screen and the rechargable battery than for it's form factor. But with the new screen mods, it has really started to take a hit in price considering for the same money you can have a beautiful GBA w a better form factor and perfect screen.

33 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

It's more popular for it's double backlit screen and the rechargable battery than for it's form factor. But with the new screen mods, it has really started to take a hit in price considering for the same money you can have a beautiful GBA w a better form factor and perfect screen.

Yeah I can see the argument for it, I just find the form factor to be a deal breaker. I'm interested to see how the analogue pocket turns out

That pretty much nails it on the SP that's for sure which RGG said.

To expand on that, enough people were also using the SP just to play the massive 8bit library with a proper lit up screen that was cheap, clear and non blur.  Last year later into it handheld legend put out this amazing panel and has since modified the cable to support not just GBC, but also GBP, GB and even the Neo Geo Pocket Color (and pretty sure Game Gear too.) They all cost $60 and you get the LCD, bracket 3d printed mount for inside your handheld shell frame molding, and a new front facing custom lens since the LCD is slightly smaller than spec so it looks pro quality good.  Unlike the freckleshack and a few others, you don't need to file down or snip off little solder tips and run kapton tape to keep it safe or cut any plastics anywhere on the inside either.  It truly is just drop in and go, you'll have more harassment getting dust out when closing it back up.

I put one into my grape GBC and I don't even bother using my GBAs anymore for 8bit stuff because it's just that damn beautiful and comfortable to use.

I can't say it enough but everything other than the original brick gameboy is unplayable from a control perspective.  Also, that new DMG screen looks pretty nice but why the fuck is it smaller than the original?  The DMG screen is already small enough as is, I'd say it's a step back from the bivert mod personally although I guess I'd need to see it in personal to make a final judgement.

Edited by peg

I can't say enough you're alone in that argument and rightly full of it.  Gameboy is not broken from a control perspective, period.  That's your very isolated personal opinion which good luck finding a lot of people to back up at all.  The DMG was good on battery, comfy enough, and had an awful screen due to the blur factor.  Cheap good wide range in genre of games, mobility, and long life made that thing a success.

The SP has the worst d-pad, terrible tiny shit buttons, and is the most awkward POS to hold of all the gameboys I have played, so no.  I don't play any GBA or GBC so the DMG (modded) is easily the best.

Edited by peg

8 hours ago, Makar said:

Youre talking about the big fat brick right? So many problems with it. The AGS 101 GBA SP is by far the best system to play Gameboy and GBA games on.

The GBA SP is ergonomically terrible and practically guaranteed to give anyone with man sized hands tendon injury in the thumbs.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

The GBA SP is ergonomically terrible and practically guaranteed to give anyone with man sized hands tendon injury in the thumbs.

Your only real alternative is a DS or DS lite then for GBA games. I have never had any problems with the SP. The worst D pad was the original gba. One of those buttons would always stop working after a few years. 

10 minutes ago, Makar said:

Your only real alternative is a DS or DS lite then for GBA games. I have never had any problems with the SP. The worst D pad was the original gba. One of those buttons would always stop working after a few years. 

There are larger DS systems as well, right?

I am just pointing out that long-term play on a GBA as a primary gaming system WILL cause stress injury for man sized hands.  (My dad had to have tendon surgery in both thumbs from it)

The ergonomics for large hands are horrendous, so I would only recommend that system for kids.

8 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

There are larger DS systems as well, right?

I am just pointing out that long-term play on a GBA as a primary gaming system WILL cause stress injury for man sized hands.  (My dad had to have tendon surgery in both thumbs from it)

The ergonomics for large hands are horrendous, so I would only recommend that system for kids.

The dsi xl is the biggest DS system, however, it doesn't have a GBA slot. If you want the best ergonomics, play gb, gbc, and GBA games on the GameCube's game boy player. Sorry about your dad's thumbs. That blows. 

On 1/6/2020 at 2:43 AM, peg said:

Try playing Tetris on level 20 with any of those shitty d-pads on the other models.  If you can even get there that is.  Those d-pads are shit.

Playing QIX i can actually make a full second unseparated line on the GBC wich i don't manage on other systems. Like if you go rightwards to the side, up, then leftwards creating a full double line - i can't do that with brick because the d-pad is bigger and stiffer. Can't do it on GBA either, that one too will leave space and be less precise in general.

There is also this game Batman: return of the joker where a boss is shooting baseball balls at you and you have to duck, move forward, duck closing in on the space. With GBC Batman slides leaps ahead but with GB he comes forward much smaller steps, because the command takes more to input because of the finger moving across the big size of the GB and it requiring more to pressure down.