IGNORED

Game Debate #203: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Rate it  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

44 minutes ago, G-type said:

I've also heard Friday the 13th is fun if you play it in a very specific, non-intuitive way. I'll leave all these sorts of games for someone else.

Is the specific, non-intuitive way to ignore the haters??

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I did come out and say it, and went on to further explain that it's because I approach it as a puzzle game... 😛

Well, that makes you quirky, too. 😛

When it comes down to it, ANY game can be a puzzle game, which is why I don't buy the approach.

Except The Last Starfighter. That's just a torture device.

Edited by Tulpa

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

Well, that makes you quirky, too. 😛

When it comes down to it, ANY game can be a puzzle game, which is why I don't buy the approach.

Except The Last Starfighter. That's just a torture device.

Pff the F13 criticism is overblown.  I played it for the first time as a teenager and beat it my first try.  It was exhilarating fighting the fast Jason in the cabin, and when I saw the ending I actually laughed out loud.

Also, Last Starfighter isnt too bad, use my guide 🙂

On 5/5/2024 at 8:27 PM, G-type said:

I've also heard Friday the 13th is fun if you play it in a very specific, non-intuitive way. I'll leave all these sorts of games for someone else.

Dude F13 is one of my favorite games. When you finally learn/figure out what the hell is actually going on/how the game works, you actually stalk Jason and can finish the game so easily. When it's rolling smoothly, it's low key one of the most underrated survival horror games for the NES!

1 hour ago, NostalgicMachine said:

Dude F13 is one of my favorite games. When you finally learn/figure out what the hell is actually going on/how the game works, you actually stalk Jason and can finish the game so easily. When it's rolling smoothly, it's low key one of the most underrated survival horror games for the NES!

I just wish the map was a little more intuitive, or a minimap was on the main screen. I know people have explained to me over and over how to orient yourself, but I can't seem to wrap my head around it and end up going the wrong direction.

Otherwise, I don't have much of an issue. It actually is pretty effective when Jason pops up, giving a genuine scare (and not a cheap one, either.)

The only other true horror game I can think of on NES is Uninvited (Famicom has Sweet Home, and maybe others.)

On 5/3/2024 at 2:03 PM, Webhead123 said:

Oh yeah, Swamp Thing has a kind of charm to it that makes it all the more heart breaking as that charm starts slowly slipping away and the frustration all comes boiling to the surface. What a great-idea-turned-horrible-missed-opportunity.

Swamp Thing made by the same people who did all the Simpsons games and Ghostbusters II on the NES. It's my understanding that most of these have the same lousy control issues.

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

Swamp Thing made by the same people who did all the Simpsons games and Ghostbusters II on the NES. It's my understanding that most of these have the same lousy control issues.

Yeah, the first time I booted up Swamp Thing, I noticed something familiar about the jumping mechanics and just the overall (crappy) feel of the controls. I believe it was pointed out on some random YT video I was watching that it used the same basic engine as The Simpsons games and then it clicked for me.