IGNORED

Inscryption -- one of the Best Games I have ever played

Lifecoach, a serious STS player, got a 42-game streak beating the entire game on the highest Ascension setting. Did he get really lucky 42 times in a row?

I think the problem with a lot of people is they build 50+ card decks and don't remove enough cards from their deck, so you don't end up getting the cards you need. With proper decision-making skills and a lot of planning, I really don't think it's luck, it's highly skill-based.

Edited by Khromak

5 hours ago, wongojack said:

I haven't played Inscryption yet, but I am definitely aware of it.  I have played a game that is kinda similar called Pawnbarian.  I got it in a bundle.  Likely much less complex, but also likely cheaper and easier to find on sale.

That sounds really cool! Again, without spoiling too much, I will say that while you definitely do a lot of fight via cards, the game is not truly a card-game in the same way that Slay the Spire is. That said, I love little indie games like Pawnbarian! Does it have a story or is it just play and die? Also, Slay the Spire 2 is scheduled for release next year -- wonder if I'll be more my style -- you know, less RNG 🙂

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, avatar! said:

That sounds really cool! Again, without spoiling too much, I will say that while you definitely do a lot of fight via cards, the game is not truly a card-game in the same way that Slay the Spire is. That said, I love little indie games like Pawnbarian! Does it have a story or is it just play and die? Also, Slay the Spire 2 is scheduled for release next year -- wonder if I'll be more my style -- you know, less RNG 🙂

I don't remember any story for Pawnbarian, but they did have multiple "dungeons" with different final battles for you that changed up the rules a bit.  Felt story adjacent.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Editorials Team · Posted

There's some stock for sale.  It's expensive as fuck, but still cheaper than the insane amount it usually goes for

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285847567049?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=f16KjvG_TCq&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=e-I9MIq-Qn6&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Just a heads-up that SRG is selling their stock of Inscryption on ebay right now. They're asking $85 for the PS5 and Switch editions, which is significantly less than what you'll find from other sellers. That said, it does NOT include the collector's box or extras. In fact they note --

This edition does not include any extra items such as manual or cards

That said, still a great way to get a physical copy of the game.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, avatar! said:

We're not just making stuff up. Go to ebay.

Too late now for switch I think, sold out. 

Edit: nope still up for sale on eBay although I think they upped the price $3

Edited by a3quit4s

6 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

You're right, looks like the upped the price, probably because stock is going down. Anyone that wants a physical copy, this will definitely be your cheapest option.

Editorials Team · Posted
33 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

There's a reddit thread in response with lots of retail release rumors

6 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

There's a reddit thread in response with lots of retail release rumors

I dunno man the dude that posted it gave me “my dad works at Nintendo” vibes lol I have no interest in the game though so it’s whatever

• Haha 1

I've put 5-6 hours into Inscryption. I can't get past the 3rd boss and it keeps starting over. There's so much to think about with the pelts, totems, sigils, stuff in the room, items, icons on the map etc. 

Before I give up, I'm gonna watch some playthroughs because I think I'm still missing something.

5 hours ago, CT said:

I've put 5-6 hours into Inscryption. I can't get past the 3rd boss and it keeps starting over. There's so much to think about with the pelts, totems, sigils, stuff in the room, items, icons on the map etc. 

Before I give up, I'm gonna watch some playthroughs because I think I'm still missing something.

Did you unlock the puzzle box? If not, do that, it certainly helps. There are a few others secrets that can really help if you're stuck. If you want clues/solutions here it is 🙂

https://www.ign.com/wikis/inscryption/Secrets

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

Did you unlock the puzzle box? If not, do that, it certainly helps. There are a few others secrets that can really help if you're stuck. If you want clues/solutions here it is 🙂

https://www.ign.com/wikis/inscryption/Secrets

Thanks! I'm really hoping to get by this first act soon. I've actually done almost all of the puzzles in the cabin. Looks like I only have the clock and the 3rd painting puzzle to do. I just got the knife item today, didnt realize what it did.

Yeah the squirrel totem head is helpful, I'm at the point if I have to play one more squirrel card I'm going to flip out LOL. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CT said:

Thanks! I'm really hoping to get by this first act soon. I've actually done almost all of the puzzles in the cabin. Looks like I only have the clock and the 3rd painting puzzle to do. I just got the knife item today, didnt realize what it did.

Yeah the squirrel totem head is helpful, I'm at the point if I have to play one more squirrel card I'm going to flip out LOL. 

I know it can be challenging, but I do hope you're having fun!

I loved all the bosses in the game, and unlike Slay the Spire, you really don't have to be lucky to finish the game. I would even say you can be mediocre at best and the game is kind enough to make it so you will finish. Also, if you can get your cards chopped up and paired up by the mushroom folk, that really helps too 🙂

Just beat it, what a...

[spoilers below]

Spoiler

crazy acid-trip of a game. ACT 1 is pretty difficult and frustrating. But once I read online about pairing the squirrel totem with the sigil to get it back in your hand, I was able to beat it. Very unclear with too much going on.  ACT 2 is an unexpected Earthbound-like section. A bit too complicated with all the different cards but brute force works. ACT 3 is ok and I liked a few of the different changes to the basic card game mechanic, but pretty easy.

Overall, the story is ok but the card game gets a bit repetitive and playing squirrel cards in ACT 1 is such a chore. Make sure to pay attention to details to get the most out of the story i.e. I missed parts of a few videos that were key to the plot.

In my opinion it would be hard to compare this to Slay the Spire as they both are very different games. But Inscryption is a unique experience for sure.

• Like 1

I know people's tastes and preferences are different, but I wanted to add a few notes about Slay the Spire.

STS, for me, is about detailed planning (which admittingly I do not enjoy). After a few runs, you will be able to know what to expect from the bosses (hyperbeam coming turn 6, every time from Bronze Automaton) and what to generally expect from the enemies in each act. If you doing a Heart run, you will know how that boss acts, and you'll know what you need to achieve success. If you go through the game fast, there is no way to plan accordingly.

Certain cards are good earlier in the game but not later (and vice versa).

This is why the great players sit on every decision and think about it for minutes in SLS.

It's the same way that Poker could be considered all luck, but for the professionals, it's far from it.

What helped me was to look up about all the individual cards. There was many cards that I thought didn't have much use, that turned out to be VERY helpful (especially the cards/relics that can get you more cards into your hand). Another tip is to maximize synergies between different cards and relics.

What I don't like about the STS is the graphics, and the character designs are a bit dull. It could use more variety but overall it's a fun game. Inscryption was fun, but for different reasons. Two different games in my opinion.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CT said:

What I don't like about the STS is the graphics, and the character designs are a bit dull. It could use more variety but overall it's a fun game. Inscryption was fun, but for different reasons. Two different games in my opinion.

I certainly agree. I will add that while the graphics are a bit dull, apart from the RNG my biggest gribe is the lack of variety. The 72nd time you come across the Slime it's more of a chore than anything else. I think a few quality of life changes would be welcomed, such as the option to save after each act -- I would say that could be unlocked once you reach the heart for the first time.  Inscryption in my opinion is absolutely about the story. That said, I found the battles to be incredibly fun, and the challenge to be fair, arguably even a bit on the easy side. I am honestly looking forward to STS2, and I hope it's less RNG and packed with more variety.

• Like 1