IGNORED

Completing Every North American NES Game 100%

Guests · Posted

Seeing that this is the one system I collect for most other than Game Boy and Super Nintendo, it would make sense to create a list on completing the games for this system, too. I have an NES collection of almost 100 games, and many of them have been left uncompleted, but I hope to change that.

Please note that my NES has some slight mods. It has been modified to work better on newer televisions and even replaced the red light with a green one. However, these changes would not cause any type of drastic changes in the games played.

Edited by GamerSmith548

Guests · Posted

1/677 - Mega Man

IMG_1634.jpeg.511447484c037bb289b1e35630a90743.jpeg

Requirements For 100%

• Get Every Special Weapon
  • Obtain the Magnet Beam
  • Complete the Game

Mega Man 1 is the one Mega Man game on the NES that doesn’t really get the attention it deserves. Although it is very rough around the edges and is more of a prototype of what was to come, it is very enjoyable. It can be very hard to the casual player, but it is worth your time, especially if you want a challenge. It is a decent challenge to get an authentic copy of it, but it is definitely worth it if you can get your hands on it.

Edited by GamerSmith548

Guests · Posted

2/677 - Mega Man 2

IMG_1635.jpeg.9eea9640d62cb4426baa81d7a5b44531.jpeg

Requirements For 100%

• Obtain Items 1, 2, and 3
  • Complete the Game

Mega Man 2 is the definition of a perfect sequel. Despite having some flaws, MM2 expands on the first game and adds even more to love about the franchise. You can clearly see how much love and dedication was poured out into this game. By far one of the best games on the NES.

Guests · Posted

3/677 - Kirby's Adventure

IMG_1637.jpeg.73821a4e423147bea46e88f56ac0617d.jpeg

Requirements For 100%

• Find Every Secret Switch
  • Complete the Game

There is something just so nostalgic about this game to me. I played this many times when I was younger, and when I completed it a while ago, I was left wanting more. I never really wanted the nostalgia train to end. Even though it didn’t take long to beat, it was well enjoyed. This game will always have such a charming feel that no other NES game can really compare to.

Guests · Posted

4/677 - Mega Man 3

IMG_1638.jpeg.8bfcc0811329c801e5031d8b2196b200.jpeg

Requirements For 100%

• Obtain Rush Marine and Rush Jet
  • Complete the Game

The best I can describe Mega Man 3 is being a beautiful mess. Although it is very enjoyable, it is very clear how the game was rushed. The story is very vague and you are almost certain to encounter a glitch when you play. That doesn’t really matter, though, because MM3 is just as enjoyable as its predecessor.

Guests · Posted

5/677 - Mega Man 4

IMG_1640.jpeg.0b9e0624e30b7a0b69fac1dfe1567d8c.jpeg

Requirements For 100%

• Obtain Rush Marine and Rush Jet
  • Obtain the Balloon and Wire Adaptors
  • Complete the Game

Mega Man 4 is one of the first Mega Man games I ever played. Having played it over and over, it is interesting to see that it still holds up today. MM4 is very interesting, as it innovates the most out of any of the Mega Man games on the NES. The charge mechanic is one of the most important additions to the entire series, and many other important changes and additions were made, including the addition of a second castle. This entry feels like the first complete Mega Man experience. This is definitely a true classic, even above Mega Man 2.

Guests · Posted

6/677 - Mega Man 5

IMG_1649.jpeg.9593e57fa756e9c67fbc3502c87b6873.jpeg

Requirements For 100%

• Obtain the Rush Jet and Super Arrow
  • Obtain the Letters MEGAMANV to Obtain Beat
  • Complete the Game

This was one of the later Mega Man games that was largely ignored, mainly because it released over a year after the SNES launched. Because of that, it can go for ridiculous prices (I bought mine at $160), but it has to be one of my favorite Mega Man games of all time. It’s mainly because of nostalgia, but I love how each level tries to innovate with different mechanics, like the gravity switch in the Gravity Man stage and the water speeder section in the Wave Man stage. That just gives this game so much more personality. My only complaint is how easy it is. You are guaranteed to max out your lives in this game. Despite that, I absolutely love this game and recommend it to everyone, especially casual players that want an easier Mega Man experience.

Edited by GamerSmith548

Guests · Posted

7/677 - Bomberman

IMG_1652.jpeg.7f9bdf255b09e85a366a689328e7eb91.jpeg

Requirements For 100%

• Complete the Game

This is actually the first and only Bomberman game that I have really played so far, and I have to say, the OG Bomberman is quite enjoyable. The game starts off very frustrating, but you level up with a power up in each level, and it’s really satisfying to see yourself grow stronger and stronger every level. It’s still so annoying when you have almost every power up and then kill yourself with your own bomb😅

Guests · Posted
11 minutes ago, G-type said:

what's your approach going to be? Favorites first? or do you want to get some of the chores out of the way early?

I kind of switch every now and then. I try to play my favorite games first, but I sometimes decide to get some of the chores out of the way, as I know I’m gonna have to complete them at some point.

Guests · Posted

8/677 - Contra

IMG_1655.jpeg.e2d31faf0333d55d671ded926a113aba.jpeg

Requirements For 100%

• Complete the Game

I honestly wish this one lasted longer. Contra may be hard, but the Konami Code allows you to breeze through the game in under 30 minutes. Despite that, it’s still a remarkable port of an arcade classic. Perhaps I should try to beat it without the Konami Code?

Guests · Posted

9/677 - Battletoads

IMG_1206.jpeg.a4101ae9ce339c8251a2840e37950be4.jpeg

Requirements For 100%

• Complete the Game

I beat this game a while ago, and MAN, am I glad I remembered that I took a picture of the ending when I beat it. Completing it was truly a painful task. The first couple levels were fine, but it started to become IMPOSSIBLY hard in the later levels. You basically had to make the entire game muscle memory if you wanted to complete it. The game was fun, but filled with lots of frustration. I was just glad the pain was over.

Edited by GamerSmith548

Guests · Posted

10/677 - Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!

IMG_1656.jpeg.71471a6a0afa2e7ea9a7dad14836a071.jpeg

Requirements For 100%

• Complete the Game

I surprisingly still remember the entire game through muscle memory. The game is full of personality. Every fight is completely different and has multiple mechanics. Each fight was very enjoyable. Although it will take lots of practice for others to beat this game, I totally recommend it.

1 hour ago, GamerSmith548 said:

I honestly wish this one lasted longer. Contra may be hard, but the Konami Code allows you to breeze through the game in under 30 minutes

If you rely on the Contra code to get through the game, and wish you could get more than 30 minutes out of it, there's a really simple cure for that. Practice beating the game without cheat codes and without continuing 😉

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, Sumez said:

If you rely on the Contra code to get through the game, and wish you could get more than 30 minutes out of it, there's a really simple cure for that. Practice beating the game without cheat codes and without continuing 😉

I can beat the game in under 20 minutes without dying, so it's a super short game for me! 😭

Editorials Team · Posted

When we did Contra for the weekly contest years ago, you used the code, but were incentivized to have as few deaths as possible.  With a week of constant practice I was able to work my way down to a no-death run.  You could try that.

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted

Poking fun aside - definitely just consider it a challenge. I could "beat" Guerilla War as a kid because you have infinite lives/continues and can just plow through it all without losing progress. I've not tried again as an adult but I have to imagine I'd get my ass handed to me without a lot of practice, and honestly taking advantage of cheats and infinite lives, to me, is depriving oneself of the joy of learning and overcoming a challenge.

Get out there and git gud! 🙂

Guests · Posted

11/677 - Ninja Gaiden

IMG_1662.jpeg.184158f2d24cb07683db34eaedc6357e.jpeg

Requirements For 100%

• Complete the Game

People say this game is frustratingly difficult, but I was actually breezing through the game. It wasn’t until the last level that it became incredibly difficult (I spent 2 hours on it). This was quite enjoyable, though, and is definitely worth a play. If you’re a casual player, however, be prepared for maximum frustration.

Edited by GamerSmith548

It’s all fun and games playing the good titles…but wait until you get to the depths of hell and have to suffer through the likes of Ikari warriors, miracle piano,  50 hour RPGs, and the koei titles to name a few. This is when your true gaming character will emerge.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, GamerSmith548 said:

People say this game is frustratingly difficult, but I was actually breezing through the game. It wasn’t until the last level that it became incredibly difficult (I spent 2 hours on it)

I'm going to take a good guess and say that if you spent 2 hours on one level, you probably got a game over more than a few times. Maybe that's why people say it's difficult? 😉 

Guests · Posted
5 hours ago, Sumez said:

I'm going to take a good guess and say that if you spent 2 hours on one level, you probably got a game over more than a few times. Maybe that's why people say it's difficult? 😉 

I was honestly surprised at how well the first couple levels went, then, all of a sudden, the last level sent me down to the lowest depths of hell😂

Guests · Posted

12/677 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

IMG_1412.jpeg.6671ef00265dc9ae8734a232ee923d50.jpeg

Requirements For 100%

• Complete the Game

I beat this one in January, and apparently, I never deleted this pic (which I am very grateful for now that I am doing this list). My short review is fairly simple. If you are a casual player, don’t even lay a finger on this game. Trust me, everything after the dam level is like an absolute hellscape. You won’t get far at all. Just trust me, this game was one of the most hellish experiences of my life.

Guests · Posted
6 hours ago, Brickman said:

Once you get a bit further in can we start voting for what you play next? I’d like to see you beat a few really bad games on the system. 

Honestly, that’s a GREAT idea! I didn’t even think of that before. I’m playing Ninja Gaiden II next, but I’ll put out the polls for the game after that now.

Edited by GamerSmith548