IGNORED

Recca: Summer Carnival

a3quit4s

Saw that this is on the list for the NES weekly contest this year and wanted to grab a physical copy. The going rates on eBay seem a bit high so I was hoping people could chime in and speak on if they thought $600-$700 USD was a good rate. Also, if anyone has a legit one they’d like to part with I’m always down to deal. Or if @fcgamer or @Tanookiknow of one for sale local to them. eBay filtering didn’t really help me out for sold listings as it seems most people aren’t buying these and pricing charting seems to think the current listings are way overpriced. 

Anyway, all thoughts appreciated!

Edit: Or is it stylized as Summer Carnival 92: Recca? 🤔

Edited by a3quit4s

It was a $400 game on the Bay forever. I guess the pandemic made it jump as well. $600 might be the low end going rate for it now. 😞

Might be a little cheaper if you find someone in Japan/Asia that can buy and send you one.

The official name is Summer Carnival '92: Recca, as it was the second of Naxat's Summer Carnival games (alongside Spriggan for '91, and Nexzr Special for '93, both for the PC-Engine.) They were competing with Hudson's Summer Caravan events. 

Edited by Tulpa
  • Thanks 1

Just be careful, this game now has some very convincing bootlegs out there and Japanese sellers have been duped as well.

Due to Famicom carts being harder than NES carts to open you’ll struggle to find someone who will risk taking board pics for you. Try and get a lot of high res pics and pictures of the connectors.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/6/2024 at 5:11 AM, Brickman said:

Just be careful, this game now has some very convincing bootlegs out there and Japanese sellers have been duped as well.

Yeah, the bootleg situation kind of scared me off of buying one half a world away. Doesn't help that Recca uses the most common Famicom cart shell and label shapes. 

I know the OP wanted the original, but you can get NES reproductions for $30 all day long. Some might even be the "Recca Pure" version that lets you play the second quest hard mode and the Zanki Attack mode right from the menu, rather than inputting codes. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Just to add a recent data point, I paid $415 for a legitimate loose Recca a few months ago from Retro Taku in Detroit. I also bought Spriggan, Crisis Force and a few other games from them (Apparently a major collector in the area passed, and the collection ended up being traded in there).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SteelGeneral said:

Just to add a recent data point, I paid $415 for a legitimate loose Recca a few months ago from Retro Taku in Detroit. I also bought Spriggan, Crisis Force and a few other games from them (Apparently a major collector in the area passed, and the collection ended up being traded in there).

Based on the offers I’ve been trying to make Japanese sellers on eBay you got a heck of a deal lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Yeah, the bootleg situation kind of scared me off of buying one half a world away. Doesn't help that Recca uses the most common Famicom cart shell and label shapes. 

I know the OP wanted the original, but you can get NES reproductions for $30 all day long. Some might even be the "Recca Pure" version that lets you play the second quest hard mode and the Zanki Attack mode right from the menu, rather than inputting codes. 

Yep it’s why I haven’t picked up one. Just too much money to risk from pictures on the internet.

If you can find someone who bought it 5+ years ago you should be fine but anything in the last few years is risky imo. Unless you know the seller of course.

3 minutes ago, Brickman said:

Yep it’s why I haven’t picked up one. Just too much money to risk from pictures on the internet.

If you can find someone who bought it 5+ years ago you should be fine but anything in the last few years is risky imo. Unless you know the seller of course.

My strat with this one since board pics on Famicom are impossible is to look for the ones that don’t have pristine labels. The other fakes have really obvious fake labels and some are missing the label on the back is what I’ve noticed thus far

• Like 2

On 3/6/2024 at 6:34 AM, a3quit4s said:

Saw that this is on the list for the NES weekly contest this year and wanted to grab a physical copy. The going rates on eBay seem a bit high so I was hoping people could chime in and speak on if they thought $600-$700 USD was a good rate. Also, if anyone has a legit one they’d like to part with I’m always down to deal. Or if @fcgamer or @Tanookiknow of one for sale local to them. eBay filtering didn’t really help me out for sold listings as it seems most people aren’t buying these and pricing charting seems to think the current listings are way overpriced. 

Anyway, all thoughts appreciated!

Edit: Or is it stylized as Summer Carnival 92: Recca? 🤔

This is one of those carts that if I were searching for it now, I'd probably just grab a repro and be done. There's just too many convincing fakes and the price has gotten quite pricey.

I got mine maybe eight or nine years ago from a trusted source. I can't remember what I paid, likely just a few hundred. The bootleg carts from back in the day are also getting expensive, which I'd price at $50, though South American guys and Central Europe guys would place at $180 or more.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have my reasons but don't log in much these days reading or otherwise.  I'd defer to fcgamer because I agree.  The prices are clown level, and if you want real it's clown price unless he comes across some local vendor as they tend not to be scummy there unlike in the US with such things.  I've mostly picked up boots from his looks, but on rare occasion a legit game and it was last a MD title price wise at 10% of the ebay price.  Personally I'd just take the bootleg modern or vintage it'll work the same.

• Thanks 1

Just an FYI, I’m in Japan and have been to a decent amount of game stores including the rip off super potato’s in Tokyo and Osaka and have yet to see this game.

I think that price might be the going rate now. It definitely is a rather hard game to find and I’m guessing the legitimate copies are mostly in collections now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1