IGNORED

Is this Gun-Nac proto a fake?

RH

Check this auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134963448754?mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l3160&ch=osgood&euid=a6597997e27c46139389e615dbc10f54&bu=43195817395&ut=RU&osub=-1~1&crd=20240305071251&segname=11021

The date codes on all the chips appear correct but something about this feels off. The labels look too fresh and new.  I guess this could have been kept in box, without light for over 30 years, but this just feels... a little off.  Thoughts?

FYI, I don't intend to buy this but I am trying to learn how to catch these things.  It seems to me that if you can flash old ROM chips you could fake your own protos if you get original, unpopulated proto boards.

Edited by RH

• The title was changed to Is this Gun-Nac proto a fake?
16 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

I’m always suspect of prototypes, something just seems off on all of them to me lol I leave it to the big guns like @Code Monkey who collects these regularly and even he wasn’t immune to catching a fake one 

I posted a bunch of mine on EBay.  I’m curious what makes you think it’s fake?  All are 100 percent legit.   Post like these are unfair to people trying to sell games.  Granted those that actually understand prototypes will know mine are legit but still this post is annoying.  Many of mine came from Jason Wilson(Dreamtr) who had a ton from working for a magazine company back in the day.  I also got a lot from another person who obtained most of their prototypes from the same person.  These aren’t fake. I’ve collected for years and put in a lot of time and effort to obtain some of the things I managed to get over the years.  I like unique and rare gaming items. I collect Prototypes and original video game artwork. That’s what I like.  Just because someone doesn’t understand what they are looking at doesn’t mean its all fake.  

Edited by Mydogsrule
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, RH said:

Check this auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134963448754?mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l3160&ch=osgood&euid=a6597997e27c46139389e615dbc10f54&bu=43195817395&ut=RU&osub=-1~1&crd=20240305071251&segname=11021

The date codes on all the chips appear correct but something about this feels off. The labels look too fresh and new.  I guess this could have been kept in box, without light for over 30 years, but this just feels... a little off.  Thoughts?

FYI, I don't intend to buy this but I am trying to learn how to catch these things.  It seems to me that if you can flash old ROM chips you could fake your own protos if you get original, unpopulated proto boards.

All legit.  Curious why I’m seeing several say my games are fake lol.  It’s funny to me. I don’t take offense but in all my years of collecting I’ve never seen post where people are calling my games fake.  Like I posted above to someone else, just because you don’t really  understand what they are looking at doesn’t mean it looks off or is fake.   

Edited by Mydogsrule
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Mydogsrule said:

All legit.  Curious why I’m seeing several say my games are fake lol.  It’s funny to me. I don’t take offense but in all my years of collecting I’ve never seen post where people are calling my games fake.  Like I posted above to someone else, just because you don’t really  understand what they are looking at doesn’t mean it looks off or is fake.   

I didn’t say it was fake. I said it looked fake and that was the whole reason why I asked.

Is this yours? 

4 minutes ago, RH said:

I didn’t say it was fake. I said it looked fake and that was the whole reason why I asked.

Is this yours? 

Yes, it’s mine.  I posted a bunch of prototypes.  Curious what made you think it’s fake though?  It’s the only Gun Nac I’ve personally ever seen.  Prototypes are a cool way to add something unique to a collection that may never come up for sale again.  

2 minutes ago, Mydogsrule said:

Yes, it’s mine.  I posted a bunch of prototypes.  Curious what made you think it’s fake though?  It’s the only Gun Nac I’ve personally ever seen.  Prototypes are a cool way to add something unique to a collection that may never come up for sale again.  

I like protos too, but they are way out of my price range.  The stickers and labels looked too nice and new. I also wasn’t aware if people have found or spotted fakes ones made from original, old components.

I see you have several more so I assumed you were legit.  That said, unless you are someone like an OG magazine writer who received all of these, there’s nothing saying you didn’t buy a fake.

So my questions aren’t even assuming you, the current seller, is shady but that someone might have been.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mydogsrule said:

I posted a bunch of mine on EBay.  I’m curious what makes you think it’s fake?  All are 100 percent legit.   Post like these are unfair to people trying to sell games.  Granted those that actually understand prototypes will know mine are legit but still this post is annoying.  Many of mine came from Jason Wilson(Dreamtr) who had a ton from working for a magazine company back in the day.  I also got a lot from another person who obtained most of their prototypes from the same person.  These aren’t fake. I’ve collected for years and put in a lot of time and effort to obtain some of the things I managed to get over the years.  I like unique and rare gaming items. I collect Prototypes and original video game artwork. That’s what I like.  Just because someone doesn’t understand what they are looking at doesn’t mean its all fake.  

You’ve gone off the defensive end and completely misunderstood what I said. I wasn’t even talking about your games, I was just saying, as a joke, they all look suspicious to me in general hence the lol

I understand that sometimes sarcasm doesn’t come across well as words but you need a chill pill my man

2 hours ago, RH said:

I like protos too, but they are way out of my price range.  The stickers and labels looked too nice and new. I also wasn’t aware if people have found or spotted fakes ones made from original, old components.

I see you have several more so I assumed you were legit.  That said, unless you are someone like an OG magazine writer who received all of these, there’s nothing saying you didn’t buy a fake.

So my questions aren’t even assuming you, the current seller, is shady but that someone might have been.

You are just assuming what you don’t know.  You claim to have never owned a prototype and aren’t knowledgeable in that realm which is totally fine.  It’s not fair for you to come on here asking questions that center around my prototypes being fake when you don’t understand the world of prototypes.  

I don’t own fake prototypes. Have there been some found yes.  I spotted a fake on eBay once.  Anything can be faked. People can fake anything, not just games.  There are an handful of people who are knowledgeable enough to possibly do that but then trying to find authentic prototype boards plus the chips and then the soldering that goes along with it.   Creating a fake prototype would be an absolute pain in the butt.  There are easier things to fake than a prototype.  Hardly anyone would be knowledgeable enough to know how to do it and to get the parts to do it.  You are acting like this would be an easy feat.   Mine aren’t fake.  I just don’t like this post of the fake non sense.  It causes a distraction to my auctions.  Granted I have a good reputation and have been collecting for over 20 years but still I don’t like it.

Edited by Mydogsrule
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

You’ve gone off the defensive end and completely misunderstood what I said. I wasn’t even talking about your games, I was just saying, as a joke, they all look suspicious to me in general hence the lol

I understand that sometimes sarcasm doesn’t come across well as words but you need a chill pill my man

I apologize I came across defensive.  I’m not mad.  I’m a relaxed person. I’m just writing.  Anyway,  I am saying they aren’t fake and then got told that I could have been buying fakes all along.  Anyway, I came in to settle matter but I’m an old timer.  No one in this forum may even know who I am unless they were around during AtariAge and NintendoAge.  There is another from the early 2000s but forgot the name. 

Edited by Mydogsrule
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I understood the joke and that he was simply referring to prototypes in general looking suspect.

Nice to see another collector, I clcaned out the Nolans a few years back.

Yes, I did buy some from the Nolans, Dreamtr, and Dalliest.  I got some from developers too, including some unreleased Nes.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mydogsrule said:

You are just assuming what you don’t know.  You claim to have never owned a prototype and aren’t knowledgeable in that realm which is totally fine.  It’s not fair for you to come on here asking questions that center around my prototypes being fake when you don’t understand the world of prototypes.  

I don’t own fake prototypes. Have there been some found yes.  I spotted a fake on eBay once.  Anything can be faked. People can fake anything, not just games.  There are an handful of people who are knowledgeable enough to possibly do that but then trying to find authentic prototype boards plus the chips and then the soldering that goes along with it.   Creating a fake prototype would be an absolute pain in the butt.  There are easier things to fake than a prototype.  Hardly anyone would be knowledgeable enough to know how to do it and to get the parts to do it.  You are acting like this would be an easy feat.   Mine aren’t fake.  I just don’t like this post of the fake non sense.  It causes a distraction to my auctions.  Granted I have a good reputation and have been collecting for over 20 years but still I don’t like it.

First off, I do own protos.  I've owned about 6 over the years, but for Game Boy and I'm also a guy that keeps his eye on the game collector market because I like to keep my eye out for good deals.  I have other items I tend to be more interested in, but I'm more than willing to spend some cash on something I know others may want for both profit and/or trade fodder (e.g. see my recent posts on an NWC flyer and an odd lot of NES back-box cutouts.)

That said, yes I do have a right to ask experts as a consumer.  Whether I intend to buy this prototype or not, one day I might find a similar one that's much cheaper I may want to flip.  If I'm better at spotting fakes, I won't buy one.  Yours looked sus to me so I didn't throw shade at you or your item, instead I asked the experts on here to way in.

People like @Code Monkey and others who have collected  protos for years can vouch for you or point to the issues that are problematic.  And even though the facts help the consumer, if these are legit (and it sounds like they are) a post like this can only help you.

If someone wanted to google that item before it sells, and they found this discussion, they could see very knowledgeable people saying it looks like a good item.  In fact, who knows, maybe some of those very experts might peruse your Protos and BUY some.  So my questions may actually help YOU make a sell.

I don't know why you have a chip on your shoulder, man.  All I want is the truth, or get help in figuring out the truth.  You want thousands of dollars for your protos.  If they are worth that, than anyone in their right mind wanting to drop that kind of cash ought to do their due diligence.  Even if I'm not a likely buyer, there's nothing wrong with me going through that same process.

@Mods I'm not trying to stir anything up here.  Feel free to monitor and lock this up if it gets to heated. 

9 minutes ago, Mydogsrule said:

I’m not mad.  I am saying they aren’t fake and then got told that I could have been buying fakes all along.  Anyway, I came in to settle matter but I’m an old timer.  No one in this forum may even know who I am unless they were around during AtariAge and NintendoAge.  There is another from the early 2000s but forgot the name. 

And  to be clear, I'm not mad but I am going to try and verify my POV on the matter. Buyers and sellers should have rights and requesting that 3rd parties verify is not problematic.

But regarding NintendoAge, are you the guy who spend a long time hunting down a proto for the CAPCOM California Raisins game?   I see your avatar and I recall someone had a proto, box art and a lot of other related items.  All of those were really cool and if you were more active on here as a proto guy, your opinion would probably be one I trust.  But I don't know you, so I didn't ask, because any seller (whether they are a liar or they have been unknowingly purchased a fake in the past) will always say their games are legit, which is why you always ask other people you know to verify.

Anyway, GLWS of this and other protos. In the end, I hope these conversations only push potential buyers your way.  And I mean that.  GLWS.

36 minutes ago, RH said:

@Code Monkey At the risk of tangenting my own thread, do you take interest in GB protos?  Especially those of unreleased and unfinished titles?

I'm a software developer professionally so I'm always interested in unfinished projects but wouldn't pay nearly as much for Game Boy as I would NES. So I'm not really interested but I'm always sort of interested in any prototype. I have 3 Game Boy prototypes at the moment that got thrown into a large NES prototype purchase.

7 minutes ago, Mydogsrule said:

Yes, I did buy some from the Nolans, Dreamtr, and Dalliest.  I got some from developers too, including some unreleased Nes.  

You should send me a list of what you're selling, I like unreleased.

9 minutes ago, RH said:

First off, I do own protos.  I've owned about 6 over the years, but for Game Boy and I'm also a guy that keeps his eye on the game collector market because I like to keep my eye out for good deals.  I have other items I tend to be more interested in, but I'm more than willing to spend some cash on something I know others may want for both profit and/or trade fodder (e.g. see my recent posts on an NWC flyer and an odd lot of NES back-box cutouts.)

That said, yes I do have a right to ask experts as a consumer.  Whether I intend to buy this prototype or not, one day I might find a similar one that's much cheaper I may want to flip.  If I'm better at spotting fakes, I won't buy one.  Yours looked sus to me so I didn't throw shade at you or your item, instead I asked the experts on here to way in.

People like @Code Monkey and others who have collected  protos for years can vouch for you or point to the issues that are problematic.  And even though the facts help the consumer, if these are legit (and it sounds like they are) a post like this can only help you.

If someone wanted to google that item before it sells, and they found this discussion, they could see very knowledgeable people saying it looks like a good item.  In fact, who knows, maybe some of those very experts might peruse your Protos and BUY some.  So my questions may actually help YOU make a sell.

I don't know why you have a chip on your shoulder, man.  All I want is the truth, or get help in figuring out the truth.  You want thousands of dollars for your protos.  If they are worth that, than anyone in their right mind wanting to drop that kind of cash ought to do their due diligence.  Even if I'm not a likely buyer, there's nothing wrong with me going through that same process.

@Mods I'm not trying to stir anything up here.  Feel free to monitor and lock this up if it gets to heated. 

And  to be clear, I'm not mad but I am going to try and verify my POV on the matter. Buyers and sellers should have rights and requesting that 3rd parties verify is not problematic.

But regarding NintendoAge, are you the guy who spend a long time hunting down a proto for the CAPCOM California Raisins game?   I see your avatar and I recall someone had a proto, box art and a lot of other related items.  All of those were really cool and if you were more active on here as a proto guy, your opinion would probably be one I trust.  But I don't know you, so I didn't ask, because any seller (whether they are a liar or they have been unknowingly purchased a fake in the past) will always say their games are legit, which is why you always ask other people you know to verify.

Anyway, GLWS of this and other protos. In the end, I hope these conversations only push potential buyers your way.  And I mean that.  GLWS.

I get it and am totally on board with someone having a concern but like you said anyone can say their stuff is legit.  So yeah, I’m also an old timer who use to constantly be around and I’m not anymore. My name doesn’t mean much to most anymore and that’s fine.  Like you said, I’ve been pretty vacant.  It’s understandable people don’t know me, so the fake talk did get me a bit uneasy because it’s hard for me to just be able to pop on and vouch for myself.  Like you said some are around that still can though.  I hope they do.  

I like odds and ends like you discussed.  I only have some flyers to unreleased games and not many.  I would like to add more but just hard to find. 

Edited by Mydogsrule
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mydogsrule said:

I get it and am totally on board with someone having a concern but like you said anyone can say their stuff is legit.  So yeah, I’m also an old timer who use to constantly be around and I’m not anymore. My name doesn’t mean much to most anymore and that’s fine.  Like you said, I’ve been pretty vacant.  It’s understandable people don’t know me.  

I like odds and ends like you discussed.  I only have some flyers to unreleased games and not many.  I would like to add more but just hard to find. 

As an old timer, you should be relieved and glad people are asking the important questions as opposed to blindly buying items. These questions help a buyer, and even you as a seller by keeping people aware of fakes, counterfeits etc and helping legitimate items retain their value as they should.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I'm a software developer professionally so I'm always interested in unfinished projects but wouldn't pay nearly as much for Game Boy as I would NES. So I'm not really interested but I'm always sort of interested in any prototype. I have 3 Game Boy prototypes at the moment that got thrown into a large NES prototype purchase.

You should send me a list of what you're selling, I like unreleased.

Honestly I’m about done posting.  I posted a slew of games to give people options but I think the number up has caused some to wonder if they are legit.  I sold a few though so far.  I’m just after a certain dollar amount and I will be good to go but I’m not rush selling.  I have time to wait.  

I sold a handful of unreleased Nes several years ago and plan on

Keeping the rest.  

I’m on IG tntitansfan80 and have posted some of the unreleased ones. 

4 minutes ago, Mydogsrule said:

Honestly I’m about done posting.  I posted a slew of games to give people options but I think the number up has caused some to wonder if they are legit.  I sold a few though so far.  I’m just after a certain dollar amount and I will be good to go but I’m not rush selling.  I have time to wait.  

I sold a handful of unreleased Nes several years ago and plan on

Keeping the rest.  

I’m on IG tntitansfan80 and have posted some of the unreleased ones. 

I haven't seen you post any games.

3 minutes ago, Mega Tank said:

As an old timer, you should be relieved and glad people are asking the important questions as opposed to blindly buying items. These questions help a buyer, and even you as a seller by keeping people aware of fakes, counterfeits etc and helping legitimate items retain their value as they should.

I agree but no one had yet came into explain anything to the possible fake comments.  I came in trying to vouch for myself and say the prototypes are legit, but I was then told maybe I purchased fakes myself and just think they are real.  Rather than me go back and forth I do need people to pop in and vouch for me because some don’t know me and need that extra assurance.  I’m not here to rip anyone off.  That’s forsure.  I just need others to give people confidence to buy from me.    I’m trying to sell some things and didn’t want this post to deter people.  Like you said though, a post like this can be beneficial forsure and I think it’s going in that direction.  

12 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I haven't seen you post any games.

Sorry, I haven’t posted on IG in a long time but was just saying some of my unreleased are there.  I do need to start posting more.  With that said I do have an unreleased Barbie snes and Bobby’s world gameboy and Swamp Thing for the Genesis that I might sell.   I love unreleased myself though so it just has to be worth it to me to move stuff like that.  Nes is by far the hardest because I regret several I sold.  

Edited by Mydogsrule