IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 663/677

1 hour ago, guitarzombie said:

Instead of redoing it, I finished Uninvited.  I cheated and used a walkthru haha.  I forgot its a game where you have to slap a girl.  Interesting title.

I always thought Uninvited was worse than shadowgate and Deja Vu. It just seemed a little wackier and less logical.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 214/677
2 minutes ago, scaryice said:

I always thought Uninvited was worse than shadowgate and Deja Vu. It just seemed a little wackier and less logical.

Its been a while but IIRC I think the first time I played it, I may have beaten it without a guide.  I think my issue with the game at first was, there are LOTS of meaningless items.  Where-as, Maniac Mansion, every item (cept the Chainsaw) can be used for something, or by another player.  A lot of those point and click games have things called 'moon logic' which was a term that was developed for puzzles that needed to be solved in obtuse ways in order to pad out the game time, else like with me an Maniac Mansion now, I can beat it in under 10 mins. 

I played Deja Vu and Shadowgate once or twice, and I still remember in Deja Vu getting to the end and not realizing you could throw away the cloths in the river.  I had to look that one up.  And in Shadowgate, theres a globe with a seam in it that means you have to cut it, and I tried sharp objects, like a knife or a sword, but ONLY the AXE could cut it?

Funny enough, this little blurb mentions Uninvited's spider thing, but I THINK I figured that out.  It didn't seem as bizarre as caging a hawk for some red blob to get fascinated with, or that its a cookie you needed to put on the plate, not the weird fruit that you got or any other kind of food.

http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Wiki/index.php?title=Moon_logic_puzzle

3 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Wizardry is done. This game is sweet. I put it off my entire life because I thought it was too archaic, but those PLATO D&D nerds were making interesting CRPGs before most genres even existed. With a little less dumbass Murphy's Ghost grinding and a little less instant permadeath, I'd recommend it to almost anyone. You get a lot of powerful spells pretty early on. It actually has nice progression and you don't feel like a chump half the game. It's my favorite NES RPG I've played so far.

Nicely done.  If you decide to do KOD to 100% completion and seek out the Demon Lord, I've got a faq up on gamefaqs that's got all the info about him you could ever need and a step by step guide on how and where to find him...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Nicely done.  If you decide to do KOD to 100% completion and seek out the Demon Lord, I've got a faq up on gamefaqs that's got all the info about him you could ever need and a step by step guide on how and where to find him...

You're welcome for the info btw 😆 

Also like how I was the one who got it added to the Adaml endings guide too.  Not to brag, just bragging 😆 

Wizardry is definitely one of the game series that I would like to get into some day. But I tried the first game one or two years ago for the challenge and was a bit put off by the challenge. Even on the first floor they gave you endlessly scrolling floors and dark rooms that were tough to map out. Maybe I'll get to it someday.

Anyway, Sword Master is done. I did it on my first attempt even if I got down to my last continue. Most of my lives were lost by trying to figure the game out again. But once you do it's actually quite decent.

Sword Master.jpg

30 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Wizardry is definitely one of the game series that I would like to get into some day. But I tried the first game one or two years ago for the challenge and was a bit put off by the challenge. Even on the first floor they gave you endlessly scrolling floors and dark rooms that were tough to map out. Maybe I'll get to it someday.

The thing about the first Wizardy is that 75% of the dungeon is straight up filler.  Dungeon levels 5 through 8 are completely irrelevant, and 9 is only needed to run between the elevator and the chute to level 10.  And with some good RNG, you don't even need to do much power leveling, as you can cast Haman as early as character level 11.  Two more levels and Tiltowait is unlocked, which is absolutely devastating. Basically, it's like grind-get key items-grind-kill boss.  You can skip the majority of the game outside of that.

6 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

You're welcome for the info btw 😆 

Also like how I was the one who got it added to the Adaml endings guide too.  Not to brag, just bragging 😆 

You didn't really have any "info" outside of confirming that the Demon Lord existed.  I ended up writing the guide exactly because of the fact that there was literally no information out there about him anywhere on the internet.  Even you, as a self-proclaimed Wizardry superfan, seemed to know absolutely nothing about it.  I did give you a shoutout, however, at the bottom of the guide for introducing me to the game... 😛

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

You didn't really have any "info" outside of confirming that the Demon Lord existed.  I ended up writing the guide exactly because of the fact that there was literally no information out there about him anywhere on the internet.  Even you, as a self-proclaimed Wizardry superfan, seemed to know absolutely nothing about it.  I did give you a shoutout, however, at the bottom of the guide for introducing me to the game... 😛

Seriously? I told you exactly how to get there.  That it was only accessible (normally) after completing the game.  That accidentally triggering a teleportation trap was the best way to get on the path to him because its the only way to get the entire party there.  Even showed you the exact route via the mail in guide.  Kudos to doing the work to document it, but I definitely had a hand in you actually learning how to find the bastard 😛

18 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Seriously? I told you exactly how to get there.  That it was only accessible (normally) after completing the game.  That accidentally triggering a teleportation trap was the best way to get on the path to him because its the only way to get the entire party there.  Even showed you the exact route via the mail in guide.  Kudos to doing the work to document it, but I definitely had a hand in you actually learning how to find the bastard 😛

You told me a story about how you accidentally bumble-fucked your way to him after having no idea what to do for decades, and that you had emailed Adaml to let him know that the Demon Lord actually exists; I never borrowed your paper guide or even remember looking at it; for that matter, I used my own map of the 6th floor along with a ton of research by way of hours of play-time to plot out the path in my guide and figure out all of the parameters surrounding his war party and the object you obtain after beating him.  You think I received all of those intricate details from a two minute verbal conversation with you?!?  Nice try, buddy; your input was confirming to me that he existed and that you found him via a teleport trap, full stop.

It was nice of you to take credit for my six or so hours of work by spending ten seconds to type out the words, "you're welcome for the info," though.  Almost fitting, actually, since it about matches the percentage of work you contributed to the guide... 😉

Edited by Dr. Morbis

Finished off Ghoul School.  Nice little Metroidvania that could use a little more polish, but not too bad.  Its got that classic Imagineering "Where the hell do I go?" mazes, like in Bart meets Radioactive Man, but overall not too bad.  I used a guide but if you have a piece of paper you can do it without it.  I know last year or two years ago I re-beat it without a guide.

32 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

You told me a story about how you accidentally bumble-fucked your way to him after having no idea what to do for decades, and that you had emailed Adaml to let him know that the Demon Lord actually exists; I never borrowed your paper guide or even remember looking at it; for that matter, I used my own map of the 6th floor along with a ton of research by way of hours of play-time to plot out the path in my guide and figure out all of the parameters surrounding his war party and the object you obtain after beating him.  You think I received all of those intricate details from a two minute verbal conversation with you?!?  Nice try, buddy; your input was confirming to me that he existed and that you found him via a teleport trap, full stop.

It was nice of you to take credit for my six or so hours of work by spending ten seconds to type out the words, "you're welcome for the info," though.  Almost fitting, actually, since it about matches the percentage of work you contributed to the guide... 😉

I described everything to AdamL:

Spoiler

WIZARDRY - THE KNIGHT OF DIAMONDS (ASCII) -A very difficult dungeon crawler game here from ASCII. You must collect all 5 of the Knight of Diamonds items. When you have all 5 you have to go to the deepest level (Level 6) where you will prove your valor and be teleported back to the chamber of Gnilda on the first level with the Staff of Gnilda in your possession. Now simply exit out of the dungeons and watch the nice little ending sequence, where you receive the Mark of Gnilda and your fellow teammates become knights. HOWEVER, reader Mike Zazulak (aka the_wizard_666) emailed me to tell me there is even more to this intricate game to discover. He wrote: "I just wanted to point out that there is something that can be done AFTER completing Wizardry: Knight of Diamonds, namely hunting down the Demon Lord. I only recently discovered this creature myself, as it's un- documented in any posted FAQ. I found out about it through the official mail order strategy guide. Basically, when you finish the game, collect all the KOD armaments a second time, then go through the warp that took you to the Staff of Gnilda with a solo character. This take you to a completely new section of Level 6, at the end of which is the Demon Lord. When you kill him, he drops a stone. When used, it will warp you back to the castle. I don't think this really does anything (haven't made it that far myself yet, my battery wiped itself and I've had to start from scratch...tried it on the Famicom version and nothing new happened), but it should probably be done once (he does respawn) at least in order to consider the game 100% completed." Wow, this means I will have to go through the game again at some point. Thanks a lot Mike, I thought I had this one licked! So if anyone has done this on the NES version, shoot me an email and even a pic if you can so I can get a look at this badass Demon Lord.

That's clearly me telling him how to get there long before you wrote your guide, as the update he added it was in 2009, but keep believing you figured it out yourself.

Again, props for doing the work.  But I provided info that got you there.

Edited by the_wizard_666

7 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I described everything to AdamL:

Hide contents

WIZARDRY - THE KNIGHT OF DIAMONDS (ASCII) -A very difficult dungeon crawler game here from ASCII. You must collect all 5 of the Knight of Diamonds items. When you have all 5 you have to go to the deepest level (Level 6) where you will prove your valor and be teleported back to the chamber of Gnilda on the first level with the Staff of Gnilda in your possession. Now simply exit out of the dungeons and watch the nice little ending sequence, where you receive the Mark of Gnilda and your fellow teammates become knights. HOWEVER, reader Mike Zazulak (aka the_wizard_666) emailed me to tell me there is even more to this intricate game to discover. He wrote: "I just wanted to point out that there is something that can be done AFTER completing Wizardry: Knight of Diamonds, namely hunting down the Demon Lord. I only recently discovered this creature myself, as it's un- documented in any posted FAQ. I found out about it through the official mail order strategy guide. Basically, when you finish the game, collect all the KOD armaments a second time, then go through the warp that took you to the Staff of Gnilda with a solo character. This take you to a completely new section of Level 6, at the end of which is the Demon Lord. When you kill him, he drops a stone. When used, it will warp you back to the castle. I don't think this really does anything (haven't made it that far myself yet, my battery wiped itself and I've had to start from scratch...tried it on the Famicom version and nothing new happened), but it should probably be done once (he does respawn) at least in order to consider the game 100% completed." Wow, this means I will have to go through the game again at some point. Thanks a lot Mike, I thought I had this one licked! So if anyone has done this on the NES version, shoot me an email and even a pic if you can so I can get a look at this badass Demon Lord.

That's clearly me telling him how to get there long before you wrote your guide, as the update he added it was in 2009, but keep believing you figured it out yourself.

Again, props for doing the work.  But I provided info that got you there.

First, your info to him is erroneous as the stone does not teleport you back to the Castle; it casts Malor which sends you somewhere else in the dungeon based on cooridinates, after which it takes on an entirely different name and properties and casts a different spell, of which you make no mention.  And second, I don't see anything regarding the teleport method to get your whole party through, meaning your info is essentially useless as the amount of levelling required to kill the Demon Lord solo would disqualify just about anyone from choosing that method when a much easier one exists.

So, in a nutshell your factually correct contribution is thus:

"when you finish the game, collect all the KOD armaments a second time, then go through the warp that took you to the Staff of Gnilda with a solo character. This take you to a completely new section of Level 6, at the end of which is the Demon Lord."

Congrats, man!  You successfully confirmed that the Demon Lord actually exists!  I only wish I had already stated in an above post that that was the extent of your actual contribution to the topic, but alas...

Yo

Uncharted Waters is done. GrizzJizz69 has saved the princess and become King of Portugal.

It took a lot longer than last time. Anyway, I'm going to wait a few weeks before starting another Koei game.

This is a good game to zone out, smoke some cigars, and listen to the Eric the Midget Red Carpet Saga on loop while you're slowly sailing around the world over and over.

IMG_9746.jpg

IMG_9747.jpg

Edited by Daniel_Doyce
typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1