IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 662/677

Apologies for the low quality pic and lack of sound. I had trouble adjusting the Picture for optimal camera viewing.

I figured out a fairly simple albeit time consuming way to max the score in this game. After dying or exiting the red weapons van and being deposited on the side of the road you can sit there and the enemies will not be able to hurt you. Additionally you must have the helicopter in pursuit and it must drop a bomb right about the time the screen stops scrolling. You can't really see the bomb crater here because I had so much trouble adjusting the picture but you can see the enemy cars hitting the crater and exploding from time to time. So if someone wants to invest the time they could easily max/roll the score with this tactic.

You can see the crater in the pics.  The score change from 64,025 to 98,175 took place over.... no less than a half hour and quite possibly more like the better part of an hour.  So in the later case you'd be looking at something like 30 hours to max the score and in the former more like 15.  So basically you'd have to leave your NES on all day..

Edited by PII
  • Wow! 1

Simpsons: Bartman Meets Radioactive Man is done.

Not much of unique note happened this playthrough, except when I went into the first bizarro zone, for whatever reason I never hit the flight suit but managed to ride the asteroid for quite a while...

Finished other odd favorite of mine, Swamp Thing!  Its been a while since I played it and glad it only took me one try.  I guess when I can't quite remember everything, you end up going slower and making safer choices.  I always remember always messing up the ending, I suppose I was just going too fast!

7 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Also I wanted to ask, how many people other than me are using real carts?  Not emulating them, or using an everdrive.

I only use real carts on a toaster NES with a CRT; it's the reason I own the damn things 🙂

Anyway, the undispited BEST shooter on the NES is done: Zanac.  Incidentally, it turns out I'm the Messiah of Earth, so... you know.... if anyone in your personal lives is asking...

Zanac 2024.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Anyway, the undispited BEST shooter on the NES is done: Zanac.

Zanac is too long and way too difficult for it to be the best shooter on the system, imho. It also has the Gradius effect where it's almost impossible to make a comeback once you've died. To add insult to injury, the game spawns even less power-ups once you've died. So despite unlimited continues and passwords, iirc, I could never make it far. Personally, I think that Over Horizon wipes the floor with Zanac. But it unfortunately only released in PAL regions and Japan.

Anyway, Blues Brothers is done and I should be at over 200 points.

Blues Brothers.jpg

8 hours ago, Strikezone1 said:

Ok Shooting Range is beaten legit. I was a good 3ft away from the screen with the zapper 😄.

I ended up hitting all bottles on the bonus stage w/o missing to get the 10K. Ended up with 46,850 points.

Congrats! I was gonna say, it should technically be fine for the competition to beat it the cheap way, but I'm glad you did it the other way too.

• Like 1

Super Jeopardy is done.  Probably my pick for the weakest of the four NES games.  Too many repeat categories one game after another, missing answers that were correct (I said singing and got it wrong, they wanted singing songs), etc.  The looser spelling was nice, but not enough for my liking.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 193/677
5 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Zanac is too long and way too difficult for it to be the best shooter on the system, imho. It also has the Gradius effect where it's almost impossible to make a comeback once you've died. To add insult to injury, the game spawns even less power-ups once you've died. So despite unlimited continues and passwords, iirc, I could never make it far. Personally, I think that Over Horizon wipes the floor with Zanac. But it unfortunately only released in PAL regions and Japan.

Zanac is super generous with the lives: you get well over 50 in a one-credit-clear (granted, I died like 20 times in my game since I'm rusty, but I still had 34 left when I was done) and it spawns you exactly where you died.  Furthermore, if you ram yourself into a blue block with a powerup as soon as you respawn (while you're still invincible), you automatically get your fully-powered gun back, mostly mitigating the disadvantage of dying and being powerless.  And since you can't go more than maybe five or ten seconds in that game without being offered a new gun upgrade, I'd say it's far more lenient about deaths than just about any other shooter I've ever played.  In the final analysis, it's like any game: if you play it enough the initial challenges you were having eventually end up seeming trivial...

11 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Incidentally, it turns out I'm the Messiah of Earth, so... you know.... if anyone in your personal lives is asking...

Have you seen what's goin' on lately?  How bout droppin' a hint when your vacation is going to end?

• Haha 2

Finally done with Dragon's Lair. Curse this game! And especially that "power-up" at the end of the final level. Once you collect that D sign you get the dagger, which is the weakest weapon in the game. With this it's virtually impossible to beat the final boss. At this point there is, to my knowledge, no other weapon that you can find and you keep your weapon even after dead. So if you accidentally get this, you basically have to restart the whole game.

DragonsLairLastLevel.jpg.92b154e956f1dfa435a4487909311a63.jpg

DragonsLair.jpg.63b07262bdb43fb5dd3dd9901174978d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Polished off Bart Vs. The Space Mutants.  Not a terrible game, but MY GOD, the hit box on the dinosaurs head!  I always knew this, but the first time I played it, I lost probably about 12 lives on it.  The most frustrating part is you have to stomp on it 3 times from a jump.  From those 12 deaths, 9 of them were I hit it 3 times, but because of the screen scroll and where I was, I FELL THRU THE PLATFORM to my death.  INFURIATING.  Well I went back more prepared and it took only 3 tries this time.

Yeah, the Grim Reaper in CastleVania is famous and that T-Rex is infamous for being a pain in the butt.  I remember arriving at that point as a kid and not realizing that there were platforms in front of him and just being like: "What the heck am I supposed to do?"  Dodged shots, tried to jump the pit to no avail.  And then came all the deaths from trying to bop him on the head as you've described.  He's not so bad though once you get a feel for it.  You can either land on the head platform after a bop or swing back to the upper platform in front on the downswing after the bop.  Then just pop him in the nose with another tranquilizer dart and repeat.  So many times back in the day though, that I beat him only to miss the head platform on the last stroke...

38 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Finally done with Dragon's Lair. Curse this game! And especially that "power-up" at the end of the final level. Once you collect that D sign you get the dagger, which is the weakest weapon in the game. With this it's virtually impossible to beat the final boss. At this point there is, to my knowledge, no other weapon that you can find and you keep your weapon even after dead. So if you accidentally get this, you basically have to restart the whole game.

DragonsLairLastLevel.jpg.92b154e956f1dfa435a4487909311a63.jpg

DragonsLair.jpg.63b07262bdb43fb5dd3dd9901174978d.jpg

I'm impressed!  It's one of those games that once you KNOW what to do, it isn't so bad.  IIRC if you get past the first level, its easier, but that finally level and boss battle, good grief!  Well done!

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, PII said:

Yeah, the Grim Reaper in CastleVania is famous and that T-Rex is infamous for being a pain in the butt.  I remember arriving at that point as a kid and not realizing that there were platforms in front of him and just being like: "What the heck am I supposed to do?"  Dodged shots, tried to jump the pit to no avail.  And then came all the deaths from trying to bop him on the head as you've described.  He's not so bad though once you get a feel for it.  You can either land on the head platform after a bop or swing back to the upper platform in front on the downswing after the bop.  Then just pop him in the nose with another tranquilizer dart and repeat.  So many times back in the day though, that I beat him only to miss the head platform on the last stroke...

I didn't know you could use the tranq on him?  I usually stay ON the head because after the bop since I tend to push to the right.  If I could save state it I probably could get a feel for it like you said.  Thats kinda what I had to do with "Terminator" without realizing, if I hold B THEN move, I can jump higher.  I never noticed before and once I practiced it a few times it wasn't an issue.

20 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

I didn't know you could use the tranq on him?  I usually stay ON the head because after the bop since I tend to push to the right.  If I could save state it I probably could get a feel for it like you said.  Thats kinda what I had to do with "Terminator" without realizing, if I hold B THEN move, I can jump higher.  I never noticed before and once I practiced it a few times it wasn't an issue.

I didn't realize the tranq could be used for quite a while either.  Needless to say things got easier afterward.  However one wants to look at it... I've always considered that T-Rex to be one of the defining NES moments.