IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 662/677

I've been working on Shooting Range. Being it's a 10-pointer + 1 pain point I figured it'd be a b!tch. Trying to get the Gold Metal ending requirement surely is.

So I am assuming that the only way to get the 10,000 bonus points (which is necessary for the 40,000 point total in order for the gold metal ending) is you need to hit every single bottle in the bonus stage w/o missing a single shot? Can anyone confirm this?

It also seems that to get this ending you have to play it on Level 1 difficulty, which is basically just gives you more time (which equats to higher points)? Any insight appreciated.

Edited by Strikezone1
spelling

On 1/2/2024 at 2:01 AM, scaryice said:

Amagon is just a game that I had as a kid, and I never could get anywhere with it back then. As an adult, I went back and beat it and started to appreciate it more. It's not the greatest game, but it's not just nostalgia neither, because I didn't suddenly like Rampage or Xenophobe more. I do unironically enjoy Amagon quite a bit now. I actually had the record speedrun for years, and I've also beaten it without even transforming into Megagon. Maybe one day, I'll try to beat it just using the gun as a club (which would be nuts). Anyway, it's now a tradition for me to beat it at the start of every year. It's also the only game that has beaten by the same person in every year of this competition.

And I just beat Amagon for 2024!

A run w/o using the Megagon transformation is impressive. I've managed to no-death run Amagon, but I surely utilized the Megagon powerup in each level to do so.

7 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I saw this and wondered why it's worth 10 points.

Yeah.  It's crazy how tough those defaults are to beat.  Most of the "Games" titles have a reasonably low bar to bear...you need some skill, but not a stupid amount.  Cali Games almost needs you to be a pro in order to pull it off.  And yeah, tying isn't good enough, you have to top the prior score.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Strikezone1 said:

I've been working on Shooting Range. Being it's a 10-pointer + 1 pain point I figured it'd be a b!tch. Trying to get the Gold Metal ending requirement surely is.

So I am assuming that the only way to get the 10,000 bonus points (which is necessary for the 40,000 point total in order for the gold metal ending) is you need to hit every single bottle in the bonus stage w/o missing a single shot? Can anyone confirm this?

It also seems that to get this ending you have to play it on Level 1 difficulty, which is basically just gives you more time (which equats to higher points)? Any insight appreciated.

It's been 12 years since I beat it, but I looked at my old notes (which I surprisingly still had), and it's definitely not a 10 difficulty game. I noted that getting Gold is somewhat challenging, but I rated it 6/10 difficulty. You are probably right about having to get perfect to get Gold. But I don't remember anything about the difficulty setting.

1 hour ago, nerdynebraskan said:

@Strikezone1

Shooting Range is fun, but getting that gold medal is moderately hard. The 10,000 point bonus isn't strictly necessary to get the gold medal, because I did it somehow last year. And the 10k bonus is related to overall shot accuracy across the whole game, not just the bottle stage.

I remember having a bitch of a time with it, until I discovered that you can use the D-pad to scroll through the levels.  There's way more targets available that way.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 169/677
15 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

@Strikezone1

Shooting Range is fun, but getting that gold medal is moderately hard. The 10,000 point bonus isn't strictly necessary to get the gold medal, because I did it somehow last year. And the 10k bonus is related to overall shot accuracy across the whole game, not just the bottle stage.

Thanks, but I'm not sure that's accurate. In both walkthroughs I've watched where the 10K bonus was achieved (NintendoComplete and also @arnpoly's), it was awarded right after the bonus bottle stage, which is prior to the 3rd and final stage, and in both runs they did not miss a single shot on the bottle bonus. Additionally, in both runs they ended up with 84 - 87.5% overall accuracy.

I just completed a run that ended up at 89% accuracy (cheesed the zapper by holding it right up to the screen) and did not get the 10K bonus - I missed one measly shot on the bonus level.

This leads me to believe that the 10K award is driven by 100% accuracy specifically on the bottle bonus level, not overall accuracy.

Edited by Strikezone1

15 hours ago, WashYourFace said:

It's been 12 years since I beat it, but I looked at my old notes (which I surprisingly still had), and it's definitely not a 10 difficulty game. I noted that getting Gold is somewhat challenging, but I rated it 6/10 difficulty. You are probably right about having to get perfect to get Gold. But I don't remember anything about the difficulty setting.

I agree on difficulty. If it weren't for the gold metal ending requirement, this game would be a short & simple 1-pointer.

(FTR I'm not knocking the gold metal ending requirement; I actually like it)

Question for @scaryice -  For zapper games does cheesing the zapper by putting it right up to the screen count? If so, I did manage to clear Shooting Range by getting the gold metal ending. Either way, I'll probably make more attempts to beat it normal by sitting down, a few feet away from screen.

35 minutes ago, Strikezone1 said:

I agree on difficulty. If it weren't for the gold metal ending requirement, this game would be a short & simple 1-pointer.

(FTR I'm not knocking the gold metal ending requirement; I actually like it)

Question for @scaryice -  For zapper games does cheesing the zapper by putting it right up to the screen count? If so, I did manage to clear Shooting Range by getting the gold metal ending. Either way, I'll probably make more attempts to beat it normal by sitting down, a few feet away from screen.

Are you using the controller to scroll the screens at all?  Because I am pretty sure that's what I needed to do in order to get the gold on hard.  Finding that out was a game changer.

13 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Are you using the controller to scroll the screens at all?  Because I am pretty sure that's what I needed to do in order to get the gold on hard.  Finding that out was a game changer.

Yep, I've been doing that the whole time. I read it in the manual before first playing the game.

13 minutes ago, Strikezone1 said:

Yep, I've been doing that the whole time. I read it in the manual before first playing the game.

Fair enough.  I only ask because I spent hours trying before I figured that out.  I got pretty close without, but couldn't pull a run together.  Then I saw that and was like "oooooooh" 😛

1 hour ago, Strikezone1 said:

Thanks, but I'm not sure that's accurate. In both walkthroughs I've watched where the 10K bonus was achieved (NintendoComplete and also @arnpoly's), it was awarded right after the bonus bottle stage, which is prior to the 3rd and final stage, and in both runs they did not miss a single shot on the bottle bonus. Additionally, in both runs they ended up with 84 - 87.5% overall accuracy.

I just completed a run that ended up at 89% accuracy (cheesed the zapper by holding it right up to the screen) and did not get the 10K bonus - I missed one measly shot on the bonus level.

This leads me to believe that the 10K award is driven by 100% accuracy specifically on the bottle bonus level, not overall accuracy.

It was a few years ago, but I think I earned the 10k bonus after the spooky level, lost it after leaving a bottle behind on the bar stage, and then had it reappear after the space stage. I really think the bonus 10k is tied to game-wide hit %.