IGNORED

Have your views changed regarding graded games in 2023?

GPX

How do you feel about graded games in 2023?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Have your perceptions/interest changed with respect to graded games?

• Nil change - have always loved them and still do
    • Have loved graded games, but the passion has slightly lessened in the recent years
    • Have loved graded games, but now more into the selling than the collecting
    • Have loved graded games, but now I’m no longer collecting them
    • Have been a neutral and still unsure
    • Have disliked graded games, but now fond of them
    • Have disliked graded games, but now more interested in them that I will try them out soon, or have already tried a few
    • Have disliked graded games, but the dislike has lessened and I’m a bit more curious
    • Have disliked graded games, forever will

I feel graded games still have the completely valid use case they have always had and that is ease of sales world wide. Think about the scenario where you buy a lot of 11 games and one of them is a sealed game you have no interest in. You need to sell that game on the internet and everyone asks you for 20-30 photos from all angles in different lighting, it is a complete pain in the ass. But what if there was some magical company that would validate the legitimacy of a seal and also grade it so that potential buyers around the world wouldn't be so concerned with finding damage in photos?

Well, that's what grading companies offer, it's incredibly helpful. How other people use it is irrelevant.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ApebitMusic said:

Graded vintage is awesome. The "games are meant to be played" argument is super silly, and I won't even bother with people about that at this point.

Getting brand new games graded though? Buying a 9.6 Super Mario Wonder for $150? I don't get it AT ALL. But hey, if you like it, you do that. 

Same here. They always either misuse the word "scam" or act like it's a personal agenda. 😩

But as for the second part? It boils down to the fact that there is a collector who wants "grade X" from "grading company Y". And if it means they have to pay a premium for a new collectible, or just simply do a straight trade down, they will do it. Especially since the added amount they spend is not for the grade. It's a convenience fee for them.

My experiences (when it comes to the first part) is why I am just buying raw and having what I intend to keep long term/permanent be graded by CGA in 2024.

• Like 1

Great find from @DefaultGen at 16 minutes

"the other subpurpose to the site was to draw out other collectors
i was bidding against alot of guys during that peroid of time on ebay
it was the same guys over and over again that i kept bidding against
litterally charging eachother a fortune
by building the site (nintendoage) i started contacting people i was competing against on ebay when you could see who you were bidding against
I started inviting them to the site
... i dk if you know who braveheart is? yeah.
he and i probably cost eachother thousands of dollars in the mid 2000s on games that we otherwise would have said 'hey you take this one i'll take the next one'
it allowed me to draw a lot of collectors out in the open
see what others are collecting
make contacts
find trades
i think even really to this day that's what's been really advantageous about the site to be a focal point for a lot of these collectors to come together and do trades"

-DAIN a long time ago

if that's why he built the site then destroying the site would do the opposite

VGS TTM !!!!

• Like 2

The only thing that has changed this year is that my views on how scrappy and young the "industry" of game grading really is. There are very strong pros AND cons to each of the graders right now. Each have deal breakers depending on your preference.

One thing that's come from this view is that I no longer really care that strongly if a game is Wata vs. CGC vs. VGA (as a westerner). What matters is the observed condition and if the assigned grade matches what I see. If it does, then I keep the game. 98% of the time this is the case. The other 2% the grade doesn't make sense and I return or sell the game later.

In other words, I've backed away from caring which grader slabbed a game, and increased my level of scrutiny. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by inasuma
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2023 at 2:32 AM, YOURTURN said:

But as for the second part? It boils down to the fact that there is a collector who wants "grade X" from "grading company Y". And if it means they have to pay a premium for a new collectible, or just simply do a straight trade down, they will do it. Especially since the added amount they spend is not for the grade. It's a convenience fee for them.

Yeah there's plenty of modern cards and comics that are being graded by comics and card collectors, straight from the store shelf to the grading company. At the end of the day there will be some demand for that sort of thing. I would not turn my nose up at a copy of Super Mario Odyssey with a 10 on it, that's a cool thing to have regardless of how "easy" you think it was to get it. I would be happy with that in my collection. 

Edited by MiamiSlice