IGNORED

Do You Play Games to Win?

fcgamer

If my skills are up to the challenge, then yes, I do intend to beat the games I play most of the time.  There are some random exceptions, though.  I used to have a big problem with starting games and then stopping before they were done. It wasn't because I didn't like them or didn't want to beat them, but I would start thinking about what I was going to play next, decide to try it out and then get hyper focused on that "next" game while never finishing the other one.

Then I started a rule to only buy 1 new game if I beat 2 games I already owned. I don't tie myself to that anymore, but still prefer to look at my backlog before buying anything.  Also, starting the Game Boy challenge for myself was a huge help in learning how to persevere and stay focused until the game is actually done.  Now, I may have multiple games that I'm actively working on, but I keep it to one per console and don't move to the next until the current game is done.

• Agree 1

Depends. If it is a heavily story driven game then normally I play it to complete the story, otherwise I'd normally dwell on it, similar to not finishing a book or movie.

Plenty of other stuff I'm happy to just pick up and play for a bit, and it's one reason I really enjoy older games.  Because while for many of them there is a "story", it's not really the driving part of the experience compared to the gameplay.  Obviously there are exceptions such as RPGs, but there's a lot to be said for a short fun experience vs a long drawn out story experience.  

First and most important, I play games to relax, relieve stress and have fun.  If I enjoy the game enough, and I'm good enough at it, I will play to beat the game (that's what I consider the "win" in regards to this thread).  If I'm still enjoying the game and want more, I will play to complete the game.  Sometimes I may take it a step further and try to beat it with certain restrictions, such as no deaths or as fast as possible, but that type of playing is rare for me.  

Priority list:

• Fun (enjoyment)
  • Win (beat the game)
  • Complete (100%)

Younger me: play to win.

(Only had the pocket money to buy 1 console game every 2-3 months). 

Emulator me: play to win as much as I can (particularly the arcade games), and try as many of the popular games as I can (eg. RPGs, survival horror games)

Current/time-limited me: play in short bursts, hi-score gaming sessions mostly, hardly much variety nowadays. 

TLDR - I think my gaming objectives have changed over the years without necessarily a lessening of the passion for games.