IGNORED

Anyone ever use Carvana/Carmax/Vroom type places to purchase a car?

LeatherRebel5150

13 hours ago, DorkOverlord said:

I bought a car through Carvana. The process was pretty easy, and I have no real complaints. 

Did you get financing through them?

13 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

Their financing seems to blow but they do a really good job of showcasing the cars and calling out any blemishes 

I thought about that, I checked the rates at a local credit union and it was like 8%. 
Real crap time to have a car take a shit on me

6 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I thought about that, I checked the rates at a local credit union and it was like 8%. 

Goddamn! My local credit union is at 5.25% for new or used as long as it’s 2021 and newer

On 10/28/2023 at 8:22 AM, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I have excellent credit and got approved for 5.89% this summer through capital one. 

The thing about those places is they go on national sales prices. So in PA for example, we don't sell plug in hybrids new at dealers so they're tough to get. So in that case, a national dealer gives an advantage.

Edited by RegularGuyGamer

4 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I have excellent credit and got approved for 5.89% this summer through capital one. 

The thing about those places is they go on national sales prices. So in PA for example, we don't sell plug in hybrids new at dealers so they're tough to get. So in that case, a national dealer gives an advantage.

Im actually looking for something not hybrid/electric and a bit older with a lot of the "modern features" left out. I don't want back up cameras, heated seats, etc. So most of what Im looking at is basic models that are 5+ years old.

19 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Im actually looking for something not hybrid/electric and a bit older with a lot of the "modern features" left out. I don't want back up cameras, heated seats, etc. So most of what Im looking at is basic models that are 5+ years old.

Back up cameras are standard in anything after 2015. Idk if you've considered a new car but Nissan sells a Sentra with a standard transmission for under $20k

10 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

What are the symptoms?  What did the car do for you to realize something was wrong?  

Two problems really. The first is what crapped out recently which Im fairly positive is the clutch gave out. Rumbling under the car and won’t shift out of first anymore.

The second problem Ive been putting off. Something is getting wet in the rain and the firing gets out of whack and will stall the car. Then you wait for 30-60mins for it to dry out and it takes off like nothing was ever wrong. Ive tried triggering it myself by spraying down various spots (and then the whole engine bay when I got frustrated) and couldn’t reproduce it. 

2 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Two problems really. The first is what crapped out recently which Im fairly positive is the clutch gave out. Rumbling under the car and won’t shift out of first anymore.

The second problem Ive been putting off. Something is getting wet in the rain and the firing gets out of whack and will stall the car. Then you wait for 30-60mins for it to dry out and it takes off like nothing was ever wrong. Ive tried triggering it myself by spraying down various spots (and then the whole engine bay when I got frustrated) and couldn’t reproduce it. 

For that second part, I would be focusing on the ignition system.  How old is the car?  Does it use a distributor, coil pack or individual ignition coil (I'm assuming, of course, that it isn't a diesel).  If the car is misfiring, you should be getting a code. Any lights on the dash? 

I bought a car through CarMax a few years back and it was probably the most pleasant car buying experience I ever had. I came in, told the sales guy what I wanted to look at, took a few out for a test drive, came back in, showed them my loan letter from the credit union, then walked to the sales office to finalize everything. Signed the paperwork, then went to the counter for a few more papers to sign, then got the keys and walked out the door. No haggling at all. The price is what you pay, and with that, you are probably paying higher than some other places, but it was worth it to me to not feel pressured and just have no stress for the whole thing. I would probably go back there again for my next car.

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

For that second part, I would be focusing on the ignition system.  How old is the car?  Does it use a distributor, coil pack or individual ignition coil (I'm assuming, of course, that it isn't a diesel).  If the car is misfiring, you should be getting a code. Any lights on the dash? 

2012 Focus. Individual Coils. It only briefly shows a code light when the problem occurs. But once it dries out and restarts the code is gone.  

5 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

2012 Focus. Individual Coils. It only briefly shows a code light when the problem occurs. But once it dries out and restarts the code is gone.  

That sounds like a coil that's at the end of its life.  It probably has a small crack that is allowing moisture in.  A code reader will tell you which cylinder is missing, but at that age, I would just replace them all (if I were keeping it).  

I know you mentioned that you are looking into getting a new vehicle, and that's totally fine if you want to do that, but I see so many people talk about getting a new car when their old one has minor issues.  There was a time when cars were much more affordable and it made sense to get something newer before the maintenance costs  began to go up.  But in the current market, prices and interest rates are ridiculous, and it sometimes it makes sense to just maintain the vehicle you have.  I'm not trying to change your mind, but I would at least consider those options.  Some of that work can be done pretty easily.  I know that a clutch on a front wheel drive vehicle is pretty labor intensive, but swaping out ignition coils on most 4 cylinder engines is pretty straight forward.  

Either way, good luck.

Edited by TDIRunner

17 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

That sounds like a coil that's at the end of its life.  It probably has a small crack that is allowing moisture in.  A code reader will tell you which cylinder is missing, but at that age, I would just replace them all (if I were keeping it).  

I know you mentioned that you are looking into getting a new vehicle, and that's totally fine if you want to do that, but I see so many people talk about getting a new car when their old one has minor issues.  There was a time when cars were much more affordable and it made sense to get something newer before the maintenance costs  began to go up.  But in the current market, prices and interest rates are ridiculous, and it sometimes it makes sense to just maintain the vehicle you have.  I'm not trying to change your mind, but I would at least consider those options.  Some of that work can be done pretty easily.  I know that a clutch on a front wheel drive vehicle is pretty labor intensive, but swaping out ignition coils on most 4 cylinder engines is pretty straight forward.  

Either way, good luck.

Oh im probably the biggest proponent of keeping a vehicle and driving into the ground as long as possible. Like I said at the beginning of this thread it’s a 50/50 shot I would be getting a new one. That’s really only if the mechanic finds some more major issues than I think it is. I just wanted to get some insight on these websites since Ive never used one and want to be prepared IF it were to come to that. 

That being said this car was made with one of the worst transmissions in history. Seriously, look that up if your bored and interested it’s a terrible design. The car has had numerous recalls and buybacks through the lemon law, which I somehow didn’t qualify for.

It would be nice if it was one of the coils. That’s a quick and easy fix. But I have my doubts as I couldn’t replicate the issue spraying the whole top of the motor down with a hose. I think it’s somewhere underneath/behind my driver wheel. 

I dropped it off last night. We’ll see what happens 

On 10/31/2023 at 10:55 AM, Prime2099 said:

I bought a car through CarMax a few years back and it was probably the most pleasant car buying experience I ever had. I came in, told the sales guy what I wanted to look at, took a few out for a test drive, came back in, showed them my loan letter from the credit union, then walked to the sales office to finalize everything. Signed the paperwork, then went to the counter for a few more papers to sign, then got the keys and walked out the door. No haggling at all. The price is what you pay, and with that, you are probably paying higher than some other places, but it was worth it to me to not feel pressured and just have no stress for the whole thing. I would probably go back there again for my next car.

I had a coworker at my previous job do basically the same thing. When I asked her what she thought of carmax, she had nothing but good things to say about them and her experience. 

That said, if you’re going to finance another car, get multiple quotes/lending preapprovals and see what rates and duration works best for you. The last 2 cars I purchased from the Honda dealership were financed through Honda with 0% interest (maybe I just got lucky twice in a row with promotions?). This was on a brand new Honda FIT and then again with my current used 2016 civic, so the dealership might also have solid lending options as well. 

Edited by dra600n
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, dra600n said:

I had a coworker at my previous job do basically the same thing. When I asked her what she thought of carmax, she had nothing but good things to say about them and her experience. 

That said, if you’re going to finance another car, get multiple quotes/lending preapprovals and see what rates and duration works best for you. The last 2 cars I purchased from the Honda dealership were financed through Honda with 0% interest (maybe I just got lucky twice in a row with promotions?). This was on a brand new Honda FIT and then again with my current used 2016 civic, so the dealership might also have solid lending options as well. 

How long ago was that? Because all the quotes Ive been getting were 5%+. Even up to 8%

2 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

How long ago was that? Because all the quotes Ive been getting were 5%+. Even up to 8%

Honda Fit was back in 2014 or 2015, the Civic was 2020. The loans were financed through Honda Financial through the Honda dealership. It could just be a Honda thing, it could've been a promotion I lucked into (though seems unlikely and I don't recall any promotional finance deal going on either time).

1 hour ago, dra600n said:

Honda Fit was back in 2014 or 2015, the Civic was 2020. The loans were financed through Honda Financial through the Honda dealership. It could just be a Honda thing, it could've been a promotion I lucked into (though seems unlikely and I don't recall any promotional finance deal going on either time).

Unfortunately it’s going to be wildly different based on the years your talking  about. The interest rates are through the roof (relatively speaking) on everything since 2020 let alone 2015

1 hour ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Unfortunately it’s going to be wildly different based on the years your talking  about. The interest rates are through the roof (relatively speaking) on everything since 2020 let alone 2015

Even the Honda financial direct rates aren’t even that great it’s like 3.9 for 48 months or 4.9 out to 60 months for civic/accord. Shit I remember them offering like 0.9 on 60 months back in 2015/2016. I’m keeping my paid off 2015 civic forever lmao