IGNORED

Firestarter

DarkTone

Editorials Team · Posted

Breath of Fire 1 is a boilerplate JRPG.  Doesn't bring a ton to the table, and in 2023 your time is better spent with like a million other games out there.

Breath of Fire 2 is better, but still pretty grindy and overally long.  You could do worse, but there like 25 better RPGs on the SNES/SFC alone.

• Thanks 1

I'd agree with @Reed Rothchild  BoF one is just painfully hard to get into, a learning game for them, just rough.  Natsume had the same issue with Lufia that started here too as the first is just crusty and rough equally so.

But the sequels, as far as US localized JRPGs go, they're good.  Are they square-enix (FF&DQ) level, not quite, but a B+ effort against them worth doing.  They learned from the first and made some notable corrections and additions that make them worthwhile (BoF2 and Lufia2.)  Yes I knew I threw in the other game, but I kind of see them in a parallel way together where a rough state thankfully didn't kill something better that came shortly after.

Yet if you threw into the lot either translation hacks or language proficiency to where you could open up on JRPGs there are a number we didn't even, even licensed stuff like Sailor Moon Another Story or the Lodoss War and Langrisser stuff, more strategy based really with Fire Emblem even that I'd say are marginally if not notably better on a game by game level.

• Thanks 1