IGNORED

Where to start after acquiring a large collection?

First post here!

I recently came across and now have in my possession a large collection (2000+) NES, SNES, Atari games, boxes, and manuals; now that the excitement of finding this collection has started to wear off the reality of how to manage all of this is becoming a bit daunting.

I have gone through all the games & boxes and cataloged them in a spreadsheet so I know what is there, but now I am kinda at a loss of what to do next. There are quite a few doubles and quite a bit of stuff I already have in my collection so I will be selling off quite a bit as I really don't want doubles of games I already have. 

I have thrown around the idea of alphabetizing everything and getting it on shelves and organized and then going through and figuring out what I want to keep/swap with my existing collection then figure out what I want to sell and the best way to do that.

All that being said I am looking for suggestions on how to tame this beast.

Attached are some pictures of the collection -

IMG_3674.jpg

IMG_3675.jpg

IMG_3676.jpg

IMG_3677.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow! 2
  • Love 1

Create a pile for keep and create a pile for sell. If you have doubles, keep whichever one is nicer and sell the other. Integrate what you’re keeping into your collection however you see fit. Buy more shelves. Displaying them nicely is the difference between hoarding and collecting. Make a decision about big ticket items, do you want to keep it or sell it to make back what you spent or buy something you’re more interested in. Nice pickup and welcome. 

You should also have catalogued what you already have and integrate it with what you’ve done for this pickup. Best way to sell is local and the easiest is to a game store if your willing to take about 60% of value. If you want to maximize value while also maximizing the level of effort, eBay and selling things one by one. You’ll also have to pay taxes on any sales over $600 in total. We do have a for sale forum here so you can always give that a go. You’re more likely to sell rarer stuff here but you can give it all a go. You’ll have better luck if you provide prices rather than for offer 

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 3

Thanks for the feedback! I think the first thing I need to do is decide what I am keeping and whats being sold. I usually collect what I like and don't get to caught up in the rarity of items but there are a few things I will probably never have the chance to buy again for a decent price like the copy of Cheetahmen II CIB, that being said I think a lot of the higher end stuff will be sold off unless I think it fits into my collection.

I thought about once I figure what I am ultimately selling that I might rent a couple tables at a game expo or swap and seeing if I can unload a decent chuck of the stuff I dont want. Trading it in to a game store really isn't something that appeals to me but I know I have in my back pocket to use if I find I don't have the time offload the bulk.

Just now, RetroPackets said:

I don't think so -  I haven't sold anything yet (couple ebay auctions going though)

That's incredibly strange, I just bought a bunch of stuff from a guy that bought a huge boxed NES collection, including Little Samson, Moon Ranger, Secret Scout, Cheetahmen II, Donkey Kong Jr. Math, things you never see.

Well if you send me the list and some closer photos, I can help out a lot for free. I can tell you exactly what's hard to find, even if it's not expensive and the best route to go about unloading it. Also what I'm willing to buy.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

That's incredibly strange, I just bought a bunch of stuff from a guy that bought a huge boxed NES collection, including Little Samson, Moon Ranger, Secret Scout, Cheetahmen II, Donkey Kong Jr. Math, things you never see.

Well if you send me the list and some closer photos, I can help out a lot for free. I can tell you exactly what's hard to find, even if it's not expensive and the best route to go about unloading it. Also what I'm willing to buy.

Appreciate the offer for help but I have a pretty good handle on what rare/valuable, I’ve been collecting for quite a while 🙂 I just haven’t dealt with organizing this much at once and started feeling a little overwhelmed haha.  One of my other goals is to document all the games I don’t have hi res pictures of so it’s going to take a bit. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CIB_Wholesale said:

you are buying large collections wholesale?

If you’re asking me, not normally. This collection came to me by chance but I certainly am not mad about it. The wife on the other hand wants the clutter cleaned up quickly so I need to organize haha

Edited by RetroPackets
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, RetroPackets said:

If you’re asking me, not normally. This collection came to me by chance but I certainly am not mad about it. The wife on the other hand wants the clutter cleaned up quickly so I need to organize haha

I’m more than happy to relieve you of any NES homebrew/aftermarket games once you decide what to keep and what to sell. 

53 minutes ago, RetroPackets said:

Yeah that was @Code Monkey like @a3quit4s said, with that being cleared up this collection had 2 copies of Little Samson one CIB and one loose.

If you are listing on eBay you can also make a for sale post here with a link to your selling page and still get PayPal from people here without the eBay fees. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RetroPackets said:

The wife on the other hand wants the clutter cleaned up quickly so I need to organize haha

psh GIF

Alphabetize them, check your list of games and keep the better condition copy and keep games you don't have if you are trying to collect a full set. Sell/trade the rest. Bulk sales at a discount to save time, individual sales to maximize profits. If your wife is pushing you to clear the "clutter" then tell her it's going to minimize your profits.

If you end up selling cart only games, I'd be interested in seeing a list to see what you have and may pick some up.

• Haha 1

If it were me, I would grab all the items that I know I want to keep and literally put those aside. Then I would group by rarity… Very Rare > Uncommon > Common > Shovelware. You could also consider grouping by what most want… ie, classic titles and Top 25 most purchased games. I think this would be easier to determine what carts have value and how to sell them. You’d hate to throw a rare $100 cart into a pile of what you think are just commons because they are alphabetized.

Edited by portabello
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1