23 members have voted

1. 1. Which movies have you seen?

• Alien 3 (1992)
    • Seven (1995)
    • The Game (1997)
    • Fight Club (1999)
    • Panic Room (2002)
    • Zodiac (2007)
    • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)
    • The Social Network (2010)
    • The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2011)
    • Gone Girl (2014)
    • Mank (2020)
  2. 2. Which movie is your favorite?

• Alien 3 (1992)
    • Seven (1995)
    • The Game (1997)
    • Fight Club (1999)
    • Panic Room (2002)
    • Zodiac (2007)
    • The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)
    • The Social Network (2010)
    • The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2011)
    • Gone Girl (2014)
    • Mank (2020)

Moderator · Posted
24 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

The Game is a masterpiece thriller.  Solid 10.  Can't believe @Richardhead is the only other sane person on VGS.  And that's saying something considering recent events.

Seen them all up through Zodiac.  Solid director from my experience.  Probably a 8 or 9 on the Reed scale.

The Game was a close 2nd for me, fantastic movie that I need to revisit soon. 

• Like 1

I didn't vote because I couldn't pick one favourite, but The Game was clearly a strong contender. Seems a little underappreciated too, I just rewatched it recently with my girlfriend who had never even heard about it, and she liked it a lot too. 

It's kind of an odd movie though in how it's both a really exciting thriller, but also so absurd, especially towards the end, that I'd classify it as comedy as well. It keeps subverting its own plot so much it becomes hilarious, and I think few other directors could have pulled that off as well. I guess if you want a Fincher movie that does a similar thing, but plays it more straight, Gone Girl is for you. 

Honestly, I didn't know half the movies on the list were his.  I've seen nearly all of this movies, and the ones I've seen I've always enjoyed, but I've only watched two of those movies a second time or more.  As much as I enjoy the movies, I just don't have any desire to watch them a second time.  The Social Network is probably my favorite and has the best replay value.  I also enjoyed the Game and still think it has one of the better twists endings of any movie I've seen.  I've discussed Fight Club in a different thread.  I will also never forget one of the murder scenes from Zodiac feeling very real and terrifying.  Benjamin Button was the only movie of his I've started, but not finished.