IGNORED

Ideas to improve navigating long threads

Link

Now that Werewolf is over, I have some feature requests that I think would make the game (and sometimes other threads) better. 

• Add ISO 🔎 link in PMs

• In an ISO view (thread or PM), have a... reverse ISO. So you can return to that spot in the thread. As is we can copy the link to post and paste it in address bar, but that gets tedious.

• When clicking ISO it should go to the post in question, instead of the user's first post in the thread.

• Add reactions in PMs. So you can do a simple agree, thanks, lol, etc without replying just to say one word.

• Remove "currently viewing" aspect of profiles, at least from public view. It might be useful for mods somehow, but as a regular user, who cares?

• Another thing handy for both public and private threads, a "go to page [__]" function. 

Social Team · Posted
On 7/17/2023 at 4:43 AM, Sumez said:

Could we add "ISO" to the abbreviation list? because I have no idea what this means.

This is purely a term used in the Werewolf club.  It means to "isolate", which means to ONLY read one member's post in a thread to get a "read" on the person.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/12/2023 at 3:31 PM, Link said:

• Another thing handy for both public and private threads, a "go to page [__]" function. 

Sooo, I accidentally noticed this is already in the forum software. At the bottom of the page where it says "Page X of Y" if you click on that you can do exactly this, enter a desired page number. Assuming you didn't silently add this feature @Gloves

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Link said:

Sooo, I accidentally noticed this is already in the forum software. At the bottom of the page where it says "Page X of Y" if you click on that you can do exactly this, enter a desired page number. Assuming you didn't silently add this feature @Gloves

I don't do much silently lol. 

On 7/19/2023 at 2:58 PM, FireHazard51 said:

This is purely a term used in the Werewolf club.  It means to "isolate", which means to ONLY read one member's post in a thread to get a "read" on the person.

So I was looking for an old post just the other day, and honestly this feature seems pretty useful in that context, and that was for a thread with only 4 or so pages.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Sumez said:

So I was looking for an old post just the other day, and honestly this feature seems pretty useful in that context, and that was for a thread with only 4 or so pages.

Yeah, it's useful in other cases too. I've seen it on other forums that didn't do Werewolf and found it handy. 

42 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I don't do much silently lol. 

[fart joke]

• 7 months later...

I sure wouldn’t mind an option to view an entire thread at once.  Probably not possible when there are thousands of posts but maybe provide an option to choose to load 20, 50, 100 or 200 messages at once.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, RH said:

I sure wouldn’t mind an option to view an entire thread at once.  Probably not possible when there are thousands of posts but maybe provide an option to choose to load 20, 50, 100 or 200 messages at once.

This isn't something supported by the forum software, unfortunately. I can set how many posts there are per page, but the way pages work if it was changed per user, sharing links between each other to specific pages wouldn't work. Right now it's set to 25 posts per page, which I feel is a fair amount.

8 hours ago, Gloves said:

This isn't something supported by the forum software, unfortunately. I can set how many posts there are per page, but the way pages work if it was changed per user, sharing links between each other to specific pages wouldn't work. Right now it's set to 25 posts per page, which I feel is a fair amount.

Ah, ok.  So it’s simply a problem of Invision not integrating the proper parameters into the URL query strings.

That surprises me.  Being able to integrate something like “?cnt=50&page=10” should be ubiquitous to forums, but I guess not. Even Dain did it, and he rolled his own?!

Administrator · Posted
3 hours ago, RH said:

Ah, ok.  So it’s simply a problem of Invision not integrating the proper parameters into the URL query strings.

That surprises me.  Being able to integrate something like “?cnt=50&page=10” should be ubiquitous to forums, but I guess not. Even Dain did it, and he rolled his own?!

They may have simply decided that query strings are ugly. I'm not sure what the reasoning might be I just know it's not an option. 

Just because something CAN be done doesn't mean it SHOULD. The invision team could easily argue that a consistent user experience is a higher priority than giving the very few users who customize posts per page on average the ability to do so, compared to the number of bug reports you'd receive when people start complaining about pages loading slowly etc.. 

6 minutes ago, Gloves said:

They may have simply decided that query strings are ugly. I'm not sure what the reasoning might be I just know it's not an option. 

Just because something CAN be done doesn't mean it SHOULD. The invision team could easily argue that a consistent user experience is a higher priority than giving the very few users who customize posts per page on average the ability to do so, compared to the number of bug reports you'd receive when people start complaining about pages loading slowly etc.. 

Well, I'm not complaining, especially about your work.  Regardless, I've worked with paged data for years and it honestly feels odd to not be at least an option.  But I get your point about managing an experience as to avoid bugs and complaints.

Administrator · Posted

Supporting such a feature would mean splitting their effort between that and something else they've deemed more important. They tend to focus on better user experience over "well everyone else has it". That's my experience so far anyway.