IGNORED

Dragon Warrior Randomizer Summer Tournament

Jeevan

Events Helper · Posted

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you all know that the summer tourney for DWR is kicking off Sunday on their twitch channel.  They will be streaming asynchronous seeds and announcing the groups.  Twitch Channel:  https://www.twitch.tv/dwrandomizer  Don't know if anyone wants to watch or not, but yours truly and @arnpoly are racing in the tourney.  If you wanna get into it feel free to visit https://dwrandomizer.com/ and also visit their discord.  

Never in my life would I have thought I would be racing a randomizer, but here I am.  It is a good time!  Any questions feel free to ask or join the discord from the website above!!!!

Edited by Jeevan
  • Like 3

Events Helper · Posted
10 minutes ago, arnpoly said:

This will be my 3rd year in the summer tournament and it’s been a blast each time. Would be sweet if Jeevan and I end up in the same group!

you just want an easy win 😆.  I literally started this year, about 2 or 3 months ago now.  just did race 41......didn't do horrible, but ya know, mapping haha.  

Anyway, good luck and i hope to see you there 🙂  

• Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted
2 hours ago, arnpoly said:

Turns out Jeevan and I have ended up in the same group! 😄

So that means at some point soon we are going to have a head-to-head race, most likely live-streamed on Twitch. One of us will be sure to post here when we get details sorted!

you lucked out and get a free win......man after that race tonight my brain is fried, hopefully that will be all the bad rng i have 😏

Events Helper · Posted

VGS Members, come support your two VGS Reps at the Summer 2023 Tourney!  

image.png.e8b4549b0f94327981e4eba0136655ee.png

You can watch either of us on twitch on July 21, 2023 at 10:00 PM EST.  We would both appreciate your support! 

Channel links:

@arnpoly  https://www.twitch.tv/arnpoly

Jeevan  https://www.twitch.tv/jeevantoo

• Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 10:07 PM, B.A. said:

So much here I don't understand.

I watched a video and I still don't, but it appears to be Super Mario 35 (procedurally generated levels, everybody gets something different) but with only 6 players and it's Dragon Warrior. And it's racing but there's no cars so I guess the first player to Do A Thing wins?

Events Helper · Posted
9 minutes ago, Link said:

I watched a video and I still don't, but it appears to be Super Mario 35 (procedurally generated levels, everybody gets something different) but with only 6 players and it's Dragon Warrior. And it's racing but there's no cars so I guess the first player to Do A Thing wins?

the seed is random and everyone plays the same seed, the only thing that can differ is the rng and the name of the person making diff. stats appear, just like in the real dragon warrior 1.  So if we all chose the same name, the same stats appear.  There is a list of names, mainly letters, that you can choose from, mine is J for Jeevan, others choose Z or d.  The first to beat a the seed wins, etc.

2 minutes ago, koifish said:

Zelda 1 randomizers make more sense to me. How do worlds get built for DQ that it doesn't end up with you stuck around high level monsters at the start or something? The "Dragon on Floor 2" problem as it is sometimes called in randomized dungeon crawls.

it doesn't lol, the breakout level is what is important and how you choose to get there, fairy water and torches can be used for 100% guaranteed hits, so sometimes that helps.  also, the sword or armor can be in the throne room, you just have to figure your way out of it!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeevan said:

it doesn't lol, the breakout level is what is important and how you choose to get there, fairy water and torches can be used for 100% guaranteed hits, so sometimes that helps.  also, the sword or armor can be in the throne room, you just have to figure your way out of it!  

To add to this, easier enemies are guaranteed to be near the starting castle to help you get started, and the nearby zones are locked down to easy-ish enemy sets too.  And of course as randomizers go sometimes you start with good stats or spells or what have you.  It's rare, but possible to get boxed out of that easy enemy zone and then you really are at the mercy of the randomizer.  I've had it happen once or twice and managed to push through anyway.

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
5 minutes ago, arnpoly said:

To add to this, easier enemies are guaranteed to be near the starting castle to help you get started, and the nearby zones are locked down to easy-ish enemy sets too.  And of course as randomizers go sometimes you start with good stats or spells or what have you.  It's rare, but possible to get boxed out of that easy enemy zone and then you really are at the mercy of the randomizer.  I've had it happen once or twice and managed to push through anyway.

it has happened to me a lot, or at least before i learned all the strats that i have in my arsenal 😆

@Jeevan @arnpoly I guess I just don't know enough about DQ in general, much less 1, to be able to understand it all. My only thought is that by my recollection, DQ1 is very barebones, compared to the rest of the franchise. 2 onward has multiple party members, 4 had the monster party members, etc. I would think that a later game would make for more interesting randomizers. However, perhaps the relative simplicity is what helps to make it more manageable. Perhaps later games would either be too overwhelming, or have too many ways out of a problem, thus making it meaningless as a challenge. But, I can only hypothesize since I know so little.

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
5 hours ago, koifish said:

@Jeevan @arnpoly I guess I just don't know enough about DQ in general, much less 1, to be able to understand it all. My only thought is that by my recollection, DQ1 is very barebones, compared to the rest of the franchise. 2 onward has multiple party members, 4 had the monster party members, etc. I would think that a later game would make for more interesting randomizers. However, perhaps the relative simplicity is what helps to make it more manageable. Perhaps later games would either be too overwhelming, or have too many ways out of a problem, thus making it meaningless as a challenge. But, I can only hypothesize since I know so little.

1-4 have randomizers 😉

1 is the most popular!  probably for the simplicity.

Edited by Jeevan

Events Helper · Posted
2 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

No, I have no tomatoes.  I have no tomatoes today 🍅 

go team VGS!

i believe, but will have to check, @arnpoly won his first race.  I am 2-1 right now.  just won my second race.  went 1-1 yesterday with a nice first race win and second race loss by 17mins. to the top seeded player in the group.

Events Helper · Posted

@arnpoly,

apparently we are being streamed on the big screen!  

To those of you who want to support us both feel free to watch on dwrandomizer on twitch:  https://www.twitch.tv/dwrandomizer

May or may not be commentary, i assume there will be, and a tracker, so it will help with the not knowing what is going on for any new people!

Edited by Jeevan
  • Love 1

Events Helper · Posted

Come watch tomorrow as @arnpoly and I finally face off.  You can watch either channel as there has not been mention of a restream yet.  Match details are below:

Channel links:

arnpoly  https://www.twitch.tv/arnpoly

Jeevan  https://www.twitch.tv/jeevantoo

arnpoly Jeevan Game 1 of 1 July 26, 2023 22:30

Events Helper · Posted
1 hour ago, Gloves said:

Good luck to you... Both...!? 

let's just say, i could be out of the brackets if he beats me 😉  But it would be alright, i have made a good enough run to be happy for my first tourney!  I guess it really depends on how the rest of the group racers do, but there is a slight chance this would seal it for me because im 2-3 right now with only 2 matches left and only top 3 move on to brackets.

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Jeevan said:

let's just say, i could be out of the brackets if he beats me 😉  But it would be alright, i have made a good enough run to be happy for my first tourney!  I guess it really depends on how the rest of the group racers do, but there is a slight chance this would seal it for me because im 2-3 right now with only 2 matches left and only top 3 move on to brackets.

Honestly man any wins at all in your first tournament in a gaming event is impressive. Well done... so far!

• Thanks 1

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, Gloves said:

Honestly man any wins at all in your first tournament in a gaming event is impressive. Well done... so far!

I'm very happy with the outcome as i have had a few hard matches.  Won one with 6s gap, granted i fucked up and it could have been by minutes, my nes controller likes to mis-menu.  nothing like an og controller, i repaired it so it is extra stiff right now.  

I will let everyone know if we are being restreamed as soon as i can, if we are you could watch us both and get play by play by announcers, but it isn't set whether we will be or not.  

• Like 1