IGNORED

Rethinking Homebrew - 2023

fcgamer

4 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

No need for the disrespect. 

Apologies, I wasn't trying to throw you under the bus or anything. I love you, but you gotta admit that threads like "I saw a cockroach that got killed" and "have you thought about how pretty tiles are" doesn't exactly come across like serious discourse.

5 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

You showed your knowledge (or lack thereof) in the thread where @Ferris Bueller called you out for being the guy who tries to run the room with "knowledge", only for it all to be my way or the highway-style incorrectness.

I wasn't even disagreeing with anything Ferris said, I was just stating basic facts there that people were intentionally supressing. He just threw a hissy-fit because he has a personal investment in the subject. I can't blame him, but it was pretty childish.

Timewalk would put out illegal copies of IPs that they didn't own the rights for, patched with community-created fan translations that that they also didn't have the right to profit from. That doesn't mean you can't get $500 for a copy given you can find a buyer, but it does mean you are pushing illicit goods. And it goes without saying that actually finding a buyer for a niche product isn't going to be easy.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sumez said:

I wasn't even disagreeing with anything Ferris said, I was just stating basic facts there that people were intentionally supressing. He just threw a hissy-fit because he has a personal investment in the subject. I can't blame him, but it was pretty childish.

Timewalk would put out illegal copies of IPs that they didn't own the rights for, patched with community-created fan translations that that they also didn't have the right to profit from. That doesn't mean you can't get $500 for a copy given you can find a buyer, but it does mean you are pushing illicit goods. And it goes without saying that actually finding a buyer for a niche product isn't going to be easy.

I know exactly what Timewalk was doing, as I was there. If you remember, over on NA when everyone went "repro crazy" I was one of the most vocal people against these so-called reproductions, and was one of the few who actually had the foresight to see the problems that would eventually arise from it all, something that made me not very popular over there.

That being said, ten years has passed or whatever since those games were being made, the quality was supposed to be good, the games were fun and gave access to Japanese games for English speakers, etc. They had quite a big following back in the day, even did the golden Duck Tales press kit. Just to ignore this and the entire context, that's where I have the problem, as these are facts that you on the other hand are trying to ignore. I'm just stating that we should leave personal biases out of the mix (I personally never was a fan of repros), but look from a non-biased view. And that view suggests those games have some decent collectability value.

s-l1600 (19).jpg

I never claimed to be free from bias. But you're assuming that I'm not familiar with things I'm perfectly familiar with, and even addressed as well.
In this context it might also be worth perpetuating the fact that I myself have personally programmed and produced a limited supply of an illicit NES cartridge release which was sold by an third party with my blessing, but definitely not with Nintendo's. So it's not like I'm condemning these actions, I'm just discussing facts as they are.

The collector value of illegitimate releases is an interesting subject no matter how you decide to look at it, because anyone can make such a product, and it would be on equal footing. You can't just make your own version of collectible games like Mr. Gimmick or Little Samson and get a share of that, because there's a clear distinction between something you made, and original released made by Sunsoft or Taito.
However, when you don't "need" the license, anyone can keep making identical products and the validity of them would technically be the same.

This doesn't change the fact that there are people out there who attach special value to the Timewalk name, but the product's own inherent value is highly subjective.

47 minutes ago, Sumez said:

The collector value of illegitimate releases is an interesting subject no matter how you decide to look at it, because anyone can make such a product, and it would be on equal footing.

No, this is incorrect. Anything that is *period* tends to hold value to some extent (sometimes even more than the legitimate product). As we cannot prematurely age things and make them contemporaries with original releases or not, modern fakes most certainly are not on the same footing as the old ones. The old ones can't be recreated.

Now for a fun fact: it's highly probable that the old Famicom shells were fabricated in the exact same plants as the old knockoff ones.

Moderator · Posted

Guys, please keep this conversation in the thread where it belongs. Your argument is no longer germane to the topic of this thread and you are just going at it because you’ve been going at it. Please stop derailing conversations about one thing to continue your argument about a different subject.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scrobins said:

Guys, please keep this conversation in the thread where it belongs. Your argument is no longer germane to the topic of this thread and you are just going at it because you’ve been going at it. Please stop derailing conversations about one thing to continue your argument about a different subject.

Good word use!

• Agree 1