IGNORED

In a minor pickle, and I could use opinions—keep an unmodded toaster or one with a BLW?

RH

I mean I play on NT Mini Noir so I don’t even belong in this thread but personally I’d sell the BLW for way over what it is worth. You can fix any old toaster NES by doing the boiling trick and also popping the pins back up. I personally don’t think any toaster ever worked 100% right even out of the box lol

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

I mean I play on NT Mini Noir so I don’t even belong in this thread but personally I’d sell the BLW for way over what it is worth. You can fix any old toaster NES by doing the boiling trick and also popping the pins back up. I personally don’t think any toaster ever worked 100% right even out of the box lol

They don't, the very thing with them is that there was a good 1/4" of give where you can literally shove the cart in slightly diagonal or offset well to the left or right because of that range.  With that it's not unbelievable to think you could just toss a cart in there from day one and maybe get some blinking if the pins didn't just line up quite right.  Add years of use, tarnish, and if you got your NES in 86/87 and popped in a new SMB3 a few years later you might likely get a fail out of the box.

I had no idea how much the BLW were selling for.  I originally bought two off the Kickstarter, but I gave the second one away to my brother when he was getting the itch to play retro games.  I wonder what he did with it.  I hope it wasn't a passing fad and he dumped it at Goodwill.  

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Considering you can get the same results as the BLW by simply clipping one measly pin on the lockout chip inside the console, I'm shocked anyone actually pays for that shit.

Not quite.  For the NES I was using. Before this one, I did clip that pin and I boiled the pin connector. I also cleaned it well before and after the boiling.  I could never get it to work consistent, so when I got this NES with a BLW at a reasonable price, I didn’t mind the expense.

I’d probably not ask this question if it weren’t for nostalgia and the fact that the one flaw with the BLW is it’s “death grip” on the carts. I’ve not had a single issue that a cart cleaning didn’t fix.