IGNORED

Favorite sci fi vehicles

Tabonga

57 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

George Barris was a famous car modifier and he bought the car from Ford for $1 and other considerations (which I assume was work on other cars). (It was not unusual for car companies to lose interest in concept  cars (most, like this one, were the only examples built) once they were done with them for promotional shows, testing ideas etc.)  There was a problem though - Ford never created a title for the vehicle so it was uninsureable.  So Barris parked it behind his shop and more or less forgot about it and it was totally exposed to the elements for a number of years - hence the condition.

Barris did the work of transforming it into the Batmobile (which he kept possession of after the show was done) - so I imagine he had that photo taken just before starting work on it.

I know there were some replicas made over the years but I have never followed the history of those.  

Right on. Very interesting. I was just joking but I appreciate the informative reply.

6 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Right on. Very interesting. I was just joking but I appreciate the informative reply.

One of the advantages of being an old geezer is that many things like this are more immediate for me than most peeps here so it is easy for me to pass it on.  Glad you liked it!

• Like 1