IGNORED

Anyone else enjoyed Other M?

Nintegageo

Me. I didnt get into Prime (I should probably work on that!) It was the first new Metroid that was not Prime so I was happy. The horizontal wiimote and d pad controls felt like a callback to NES Metroid. I probably gave the game more credit than it deserved since I really like Metroid.

I did think Adam was super annoying. I wish there was a no-Adam mode

I thought it was was kinda okay for one playthrough but there are serious problems and were it not for the famous series it's in, few would remember or care at this point. The combat is generally at least decent but there are a number of pain points detracting from that. Can't skip the story your first time through, said unskippable story is fairly bad and does bad things with a gaming icon, those "pixel hunt" investigation sequences, the slow forced walking sections, the forced linearity.

I'll give it this: I had more fun with it than I did Metroid Prime Hunter's singleplayer. So there's that.

I have a copy sitting on my shelf but I never did get around to playing it. "Story" was never something I particularly cared to get from a Metroid game, so I imagine a lot of that will feel boring and superfluous to me but if the core gameplay is at least decent, I'm okay with that.

4 hours ago, Webhead123 said:

I have a copy sitting on my shelf but I never did get around to playing it. "Story" was never something I particularly cared to get from a Metroid game, so I imagine a lot of that will feel boring and superfluous to me but if the core gameplay is at least decent, I'm okay with that.

This is where I am at.  I picked it up on clearance and it might even still be sealed.  I'll play eventually (I think).

I had it at release. I thought the gameplay was passably boring. Someone somewhere probably enjoyed it, but I didn't, that kind of thing. I ended up stopping playing because I wasn't enjoying it. Learning afterward that the story sucked as hard as it did helped encourage my choices. I don't care at all about story almost universally, and yet this game plot was bad enough to be a factor on why I don't like it, so I'd say that hits a special low.

To those of you who haven't played it yet, you may be in for a better time since you already know what to expect and probably have low expectations, but really I wouldn't bother playing it unless you really feel the need to play every metroid game or something. Even then I'd check and see if you've played Prime Pinball first, much better game with better exploration too (yes, a pinball game has better exploration than other m. You've been warned).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yeah I went into it hoping for something like the 2nd Goemon game on n64 where it was this 2.5D hybrid, but instead it felt like some rote wannabe copy that had much of the fun of the gameplay sucked out or made as bland as possible.  The story I didn't mind so much but I started to see annoyance at having abilities blocked because Adam was being Addumb kind of sucking the fun out of the room.  I never finished it, didn't get close, could not have cared less to do it.