IGNORED

NWC Nintendo World Championship auction at ComicConnect

Link

38 minutes ago, RH said:

Ah man, I am not familiar with this site.  Did anyone follow the stickers? Where did they end up?  I've seen similar, individual ones go for about $500.  I meant to try to get bid in on any under $100.

Dang, you could have had a chance. Two sold for $63.25 and 92. All the others were unique or included more than one item. 

https://www.comicconnect.com/browse/?filtertype=&title=nwc&show_sold

• Wow! 1

12 minutes ago, Link said:

lol Nintendo Power #18 graded VG 4.0 sold for over $100

I saw that.  I assume that's the NP where the seller was named as the semi-finalist.  If so, and that's his personal copy as is marked on the CGS case, that was rather cheap IMHO.

25 minutes ago, RH said:

I saw that.  I assume that's the NP where the seller was named as the semi-finalist.  If so, and that's his personal copy as is marked on the CGS case, that was rather cheap IMHO.

He is one of the contestants featured in the issue but it looks like a newstand copy.  Not as cool as if it had the appropriate address label.  

10 minutes ago, B.A. said:

He is one of the contestants featured in the issue but it looks like a newstand copy.  Not as cool as if it had the appropriate address label.  

Agree, but if he didn't have a subscription, it also makes sense that his parents would have bought him a copy off of the news stands.  It is what it is.  I know in NP collecting, mailed versions > news stand copies, but again, this was a semi-finalists personal copy.  I personally think there's value in that.  IMHO, I'd consider in the $150-250 price range by provenance alone.  In this case, the CGS grading helps verify that with the label.  Otherwise, if someone just got this off of the guy, it would only be worth a FMV of the magazine.  Without proof of the source, it's just another magazine.  But you know that, I'm sure.

1 minute ago, RH said:

Agree, but if he didn't have a subscription, it also makes sense that his parents would have bought him a copy off of the news stands.  It is what it is.  I know in NP collecting, mailed versions > news stand copies, but again, this was a semi-finalists personal copy.  I personally think there's value in that.  IMHO, I'd consider in the $150-250 price range by provenance alone.  In this case, the CGS grading helps verify that with the label.  Otherwise, if someone just got this off of the guy, it would only be worth a FMV of the magazine.  Without proof of the source, it's just another magazine.  But you know that, I'm sure.

If he were to buy another copy off of ebay today does it have the same provenance just because he now owns it?  That's where it gets murky IMO.  

3 minutes ago, B.A. said:

If he were to buy another copy off of ebay today does it have the same provenance just because he now owns it?  That's where it gets murky IMO.  

I hear you but I doubt the guy went out and bought an NP from that period just to pad the auction.  Plus, if CGA verified that he owned all of this stuff as part of his personal collection, it's safe to assume (reasonably safe) to assume that he bought this at some point because he was in it.  So, the provenance isn't that it's just old.  It's also that it was part of his "memory chest".  Maybe he bought the thing from the early days of eBay while he was in college in 1999/2000.  Not as cool, but it's still the same idea.

Yeah, I'd really like to have seen it having been from his childhood, mailed to his home, but there's a lot of context for this item considering it was sold in a lot of personal affects from the guy from when he was in the competition.  At least, that's my opinion on it.

12 minutes ago, RH said:

I hear you but I doubt the guy went out and bought an NP from that period just to pad the auction.  Plus, if CGA verified that he owned all of this stuff as part of his personal collection, it's safe to assume (reasonably safe) to assume that he bought this at some point because he was in it.  So, the provenance isn't that it's just old.  It's also that it was part of his "memory chest".  Maybe he bought the thing from the early days of eBay while he was in college in 1999/2000.  Not as cool, but it's still the same idea.

Yeah, I'd really like to have seen it having been from his childhood, mailed to his home, but there's a lot of context for this item considering it was sold in a lot of personal affects from the guy from when he was in the competition.  At least, that's my opinion on it.

Well, the thing is that a lot of the value is in what can be conclusively proven. A mailing label would do that, especially down the line if the guy isn't available to verify this. I mean, yeah, he might have said to CGA that he got it back in the day, but who knows whether that actually happened or not. Memories get fuzzy and stories can change in retelling. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't put up a lot of cash based on a game of telephone.

Edited by Tulpa

I think some of that logic can be applied to other items in this auction.  Take the duffle bag.  Maybe this guy remembered seeing them, wanted one and then years later remembered that was the item he missed and picked one up for $100 on eBay, again, in the very early 2000s.  I'm not saying that did happen and it would have been very unlikely, but there's no way to know if some of these items he might have picked up because he wanted to collect items for an event he was part of.  Which is "cooler"  getting an official sticker he was given for the day of the event, or a sticker he's owned for 20 years when he tracked a few more down?  Obviously, you'd want it to be the ones he got the weekend of the event, but many of these items can't be proved as such.  Technically, not even the NWC cart.

Instead, when someone like this takes a lot of there stuff, passes it off to an auction house, you can make some modestly safe assumptions.  This was all of the items that this guy held onto as keepsakes.  You can "prove" they were part of that collection because the GGA labels say so, plus you can also point back to the historical auctions that were part of a lot.  You know the source of when they entered the market.

Yes, Nicholas could by up 30 copies of this NP and sell them as from his "personal collection", but only one copy was sold in this lot.  My point is that does help the provenance and, ergo, the value.  It is key to be aware of what you guys are talking about.  I'm just saying, it is a very safe bet since this specific NP copy was sold in this lot that it was his personal copy he held for the sake of memory.  There's also a very good chance his parents bought it when it hit the news stands.

Eh, I don't put my money on assumptions. Maybe some do, but I wouldn't.

I mean, obviously people do that. Salvador Mundi was never conclusively proven to be a Da Vinci, but enough believed it to be to sell for nearly half a billion. People can do what they please with their money.

*shrug*

Edited by Tulpa

The NP issue wasn't part of the event, it had a 2 page feature talking about it.  My point is that I think the price feels about right given what the item is/isn't/could be.  It has a premium over a regular copy, but not an enormous one. 

• Agree 1