IGNORED

💪 The Sumez Collection™️ 💪

Sumez

Sumez talks a lot about games, but does he even own any, you're asking?
He's always giving collectors shit, so surely he's against collecting, or maybe he's just envious because his collection sucks.

Well you'd be wrong on every account, because as a person who loves countless games, he's a person who also has a stupid habit of buying countless games.

A few others have made a thread dedicated to their collection, so I figured it would be nice for me to do the same thing. I have no intention of being a show-off, but it's helpful for me to log stuff for posterity, and have a place to post updates about the occasional new acquisition, or highlight gems from the collection. I tend to post those sorts of things all over the place randomly, so I'll try to keep things contained here instead, for the sake of my own sanity ☺️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First up I hit a milestone with Switch game number 100 yesterday. It's an unremarkable one, New Super Lucky's Tale - but I've seen it namedropped a few times now and I'm curious to try it, high on a 3D platformer rush from the time hat game.
I'm not trying to bank in as many Switch games as possibly, but it's quickly become my favourite video game platform in a long time - being able to play anything handheld is such a fantastic crutch for actually getting the time to playing them, and probably a majority of new games that I want to play run just as well on the Switch as they do on PS4, so it's by far the platform seeing the most usage from me over the last few years.

Here's a pic from a couple weeks ago when I only had 94 games (one game not pictured):

jTiFk5g.jpg

I'm really fond of this selection - there's only a few games I'd consider bummers, and I had no idea when I bought them.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 7

Congratulations on reaching 100! Also, very nice to see some pictures of your switch collection. 🙂  I don't own a switch so my time playing it has been very limited, but it's something I'd be interested in possibly getting at some point in the near future just as a gaming device, rather than for collecting.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brickman said:

Great to see Aggelos in the collection. I loved that game.

Super underrated game IMO! It's a great homage to the Wonderboy/Monster World games, and in my opinion also better than any of them. Including Monster Boy!

I bought Tanuki Justice blindly entirely based on how much I loved Aggelos, and I love that game just as much. Really hoping the guy continues to make more games of his own (he's currently working as just an artist on someone else's game)

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

Super underrated game IMO! It's a great homage to the Wonderboy/Monster World games, and in my opinion also better than any of them. Including Monster Boy!

I bought Tanuki Justice blindly entirely based on how much I loved Aggelos, and I love that game just as much. Really hoping the guy continues to make more games of his own (he's currently working as just an artist on someone else's game)

Yep definitely agree. I’m always telling people to play it instead of Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom. It’s just a way better game.

I haven’t played Tanuki Justice, I’ll have to get on to it.

• Like 1

More specifically, it's the second in M2's line of extremely high quality Toaplan ports (featuring one of my own favourite arcade shmups). 🙂They have said they are going to do all of their shooters, but it's going extremely slow right now - next release is gonna be Zero Wing and Hellfire, which few people really care for.

Everyone is holding out for Out Zone, Tatsujin, and Batsugun. Two of which ironically just dropped on Steam from a different publisher... 

Edited by Sumez

• 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

Forgot about this thread. 😄 I keep getting new games, so I'm gonna try to keep it updated.

The other day, a local guy sold a few Neo Geo games, and I decided to pick up one of the few I'm missing, at a decent price.

d95cb514af-550.jpg

I feel like my Neo Geo collection is extremely solid at that point, lacking very few games, whatsoever!

I don't care for sports games (but got a few obligatory ones like Turf Masters, Goal! Goal! Goal!, that dumb bowling one, Windjammers if that even counts as spots, and some of the really cheap football games), and the insane amount of B fighters on the platform. I got most of the best ones though, including the entire lineup of King of Fighters games, Mark of the Wolves, and even fun oddball stuff like Breakers Revenge and Karnov's ditto.

Aside from those the only real notable games I can think of that are missing now are probably... Twinkle Star Sprites, Super Dodgeball, Ganryu, and a few of the beat'em ups.

And honestly, out of those, the only game I really want is TSS, and there is no fucking way I'm ever going to spend the kind of money that game demands 🤣
Maybe Mutation Nation dunno

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Show the goods

I shared a pic in The Neo Geo Thread a couple of years ago 🙂 

1941825334_mvs(1).jpg.8c304600e860f84b26

Since then, the only new games I've acquired were Metal Slug 2, Metal Slug 4, Nightmare in the Dark, Neo Turf Masters, League Bowling, Zed Blade, Aero Fighters 2, NAM-1975, Xeno Crisis, and now Ninja Commando

... also, my Top Hunter is still on loan 🤣. Whenever I get it back I should take another group photo. Maybe once Final Vendetta is out as well, hopefully it'll be shipped this summer the latest.

• Like 4
  • Wow! 2

Posted (edited)

NG Dev Team were selling a small batch of rejected copies of Gunlord X and Razion Ex the other day. I missed the original run of Gunlord X, so picked up a copy to make sure I wouldn't regret it later. (physical PS4 copies are coming later this year though). There's absolutely nothing wrong with the copy I got outside of a tiny crease in the corner of the manual.

So this is my current collection of NG Dev Team releases. Only one is an actual Neo Geo cart - Kraut Buster, which is also the only one of their games which has never been ported yet, so it's the only way to even play that game. (though the Neo XYX port is also famously spotty)

a5d8ad8aff-1000.jpg

Edited by Sumez

Posted (edited)

I rarely buy NES games anymore, because I basically have everything I want. "The complete set" as they say, except across all regions, and without all the garbage shovelware. There's only a handful of the more spicy titles left that I still don't own - Cowboy Kid, Young Indiana Jones, Over Horizon, Cosmo Police Galivan and a few I don't really remember.

But some times there are games I just didn't consider previously, for various reasons.

ab925fd69c-550.jpg

The Ultima series, of course, is mostly at home on PC platforms, with the console versions being massively simplified - "dumbed down" even. On paper that's not really ideal for a series that's notable specifically for its complex underlying systems.

Ultima 4, however is a game that's often highlighted as one of the better NES RPGs, and I think most people would tell you that this game and the original PC/Apple2 version are two entirely different games, and I feel like my exploration of the NES library isn't really complete unless I've played it. Playing it without playing any of the PC Ultima games beforehand does feel kind of dirty though.

This is also one of those annoying games that aren't particularly "expensive" as just a single cartridge, but which are only available as an import - so with shipping and customs and everything, it ends up costing three times as much, more expensive than any modern PS5 game would have been 😩 And I feel like I'm gonna miss the manual for this one particularly.

Edited by Sumez