IGNORED

How do you send USD from PayPal in Canada?

Code Monkey

I have a US bank account with US funds linked to my PayPal account and I've successfully used it to buy things from websites using PayPal. I'm now trying to transfer money to someone in the USA for the first time and it wants to convert my USD to CAD before sending it. Is there a way to straight transfer USD?

2 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

I have a US bank account with US funds linked to my PayPal account and I've successfully used it to buy things from websites using PayPal. I'm now trying to transfer money to someone in the USA for the first time and it wants to convert my USD to CAD before sending it. Is there a way to straight transfer USD?

There should be an option to change it to us dollars somewhere on the screen(s).   If you PM Bighab he can likely be more specific since he is in Canada and occasionally sends me funds in US dollars.

4 hours ago, Tabonga said:

There should be an option to change it to us dollars somewhere on the screen(s).   If you PM Bighab he can likely be more specific since he is in Canada and occasionally sends me funds in US dollars.

There is. It went from a sending panel and a receiving pane, both in different funds to just a single panel in USD. Then when I click continue, the next screen shows it in CAD.

19 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

There is. It went from a sending panel and a receiving pane, both in different funds to just a single panel in USD. Then when I click continue, the next screen shows it in CAD.

The screen that shows it as Canadian funds would be the screen that shows you what you pay in Canadian funds from your linked Canadian bank account or Canadian credit card. The recipient should still get it as US funds. I do it all the time with Tabonga

Events Helper · Posted
35 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Something is odd - the few times I send money out of the u.s. it will automatically change to the recipients country.   So it shouldn't be doing that since both are in the u.s.

About how much money are we talking about?

4 minutes ago, Bighab said:

The screen that shows it as Canadian funds would be the screen that shows you what you pay in Canadian funds from your linked Canadian bank account or Canadian credit card. The recipient should still get it as US funds. I do it all the time with Tabonga

This @Code Monkey.  If you send it, the screen will show what you are paying in CAD and any fees or whatever.  It's not gonna give an American CAD or NTD or whatever.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bighab said:

Thanks - I couldn't remember the last time I sent money out of the us - probably to you.

3 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

It's a Canadian bank but they offer USD accounts. Most Canadian banks do.

I'm betting Paypal is keying off of bank brand itself, rather than the fact that you have a USD account, and therefore is switching it automatically. I'm not sure if there's a way to trick it or tell it "Hey, I want this to stay good ol' US dosh!"

Maybe contact Paypal support?

• Agree 1

On 1/8/2023 at 2:16 PM, Tulpa said:

I'm betting Paypal is keying off of bank brand itself, rather than the fact that you have a USD account, and therefore is switching it automatically. I'm not sure if there's a way to trick it or tell it "Hey, I want this to stay good ol' US dosh!"

Maybe contact Paypal support?

Good call, you're right.

I went to my bank today and they told me $54.06 USD was requested from them so that's what they released. I phoned PayPal and they told me they requested the funds from the account and they received CAD instead of USD so they had to convert it. We narrowed it down to my Canadian bank classifying the account as CAD so therefore that's what they worked with. That's their only way to know the currency in the account. Now I need to ask my bank why they classified my account that way and if it can be changed.