IGNORED

Need some car advice. Is there a mechanic in the house?

attakid101

We recently bought a used car for my daughter. 2004 Acura TSX with 115K miles. It’s in great shape and runs beautifully. We took it in an hour long test drive and had no issues. We got a good deal and drove it home. 

When I first inspected it I noticed that the exhaust was cloudy and white, but It was 19 degrees outside and the car was not overheating so I figured it was probably just condensation. 

But since purchasing the car the temp has gone up to 35 degrees outside and the exhaust looks the same. I took the car for another long drive, I turned the heater on full blast and I even turned the AC on full blast and the car did not overheat. 

Obviously my big concern is a blown head gasket or warped head, but wouldn’t that cause over heating? Before I purchased it I scanned it with a BlueDriver and it didn’t trip any codes at all. I couldn’t even find evidence of deleted codes. 

Is there something else that could be causing that white exhaust? Since the car is not overheating does that mean I’m in the clear?

Edited by attakid101

Thanks for the replies folks! Quick update:

I picked up a combustion leak detector and apparently I don’t have a head gasket leak.

I also performed a compression test and all 4 cylinders tested perfectly 

Still no clue on why I’m seeing white exhaust.

So yeah I’m just gonna push this thing into the river and collect the insurance money.

• Like 1

My first thought was head gasket leak as well, but after watching a video a couple of days ago where a guy fixed a similar issue, I can now say it would be something along the lines of faulty injectors and/or leaky valves or even rings.  All of those things can allow oil to leak into the cylinders, mix with fuel, and then cause big clouds of smoke, very often white.  Hopefully it does turn out to be something like too much additive that hasn't burned off yet, but if it hasn't cleared after running out the old fuel and maybe the next tank (to be able to say that the system has been completely flushed of anything that might have been added), I'd say it would then be time to talk to a mechanic.

Was the thermostat ever change ? These sometimes get stuck n will cause it ti overheat 

Or the radiator ever looked into ? Build of material over the years may clog up the cooling tubes in it 

Do the cooling fans ever kick on at when the temperature rises ? Could be a blown fuse or a bad fan motor 

Ever seen any coolant leaks under the car ? Maybe the water pump is going out if you have been . Best time to change the timing belt also . Can get them in a kit

I mean there is some factors to look into at when this happens

Had the same issue w my civic before i sent it to auto heaven . Mine had a bad fan motor and thermostat . With later changing out the water pump while doing a timing belt on it