IGNORED

I wonder if a Super Mario Advance that's 'Not For Resale' can be priced, I'm not selling!!

Hello to everyone been some time since I made a post but now will be more active here again I miss this place, Happy Holiday's!!

I found a game online for sale in past few days in a local video game store so I stayed up until pay that day at 3AM to purchase. I paid $79.99 plus $9.99 to ship in city to me, about $95.00 in Canadian currency. It arrived at a postal outlet for pickup two days ago and when I actually seen I noticed it looks to be in top condition. Label looks untouched has no ware at all on it. But now I came to realize where do these set prices come from for a specific game like this. And this Super Mario Advance cartridge is a Mario game and Mario games have historically sold for the higher prices when rare. Maybe now that I bought I can get to the bottom line and find out what is special about this game. Rating pending seems to me better than a Sonic the Hedgehog not for resale if this was looked at as just that. Probably this would have been a demo but game is in full. So if anyone knows how this can be priced I would be happy to hear about. It has a little imprinted number on label a 22 is on it, if that can be a clue to something!

SMA-NFR-RP!.JPG

• Like 2

22 means nothing but that it's authentic.  They're factory stamps Nintendo has used since the 1990s on games.  Go check an old SNES game, you'll find one pressed into the rear sticker, or check an old Gameboy game, they'll be on the front label too.

I've never seen that one before, and interesting it says RP on there.  I have no idea if you got hosed, paid fair, or got a deal.  This is a likely more common cart for the early era of GBA into much of that first year because it was like the first party go-to Mario title to get and at launch so it would have sat in a lot of original style GBA kiosk systems.

• Thanks 1

There are not standard prices on used items. Especially unusual things like NFR copies that don't come up very often. You are competing with other collectors. So whatever price you can find and afford is what it is. If there's no other copy available and you don't have enough patience to wait until there is, you get what you find. Patience required varies by item. So you look for comparable items. 

So, you're asking if you got ripped off on this? Well you paid for the convenience of finding it from a trusted source and buting it immediately. That has a value beyond a simple monetary number. 

Could you have found this somewhere anywhere at all for cheaper? Sure. Probably. A few copies have gone for a lot less on eBay recently. (Check advanced search → sold items.) But maybe you get into a bidding war there, or miss the end of the auction, or get something in worse condition. In the end you bought for a price you could afford and patronized an establishment you like and have history with. Not a bad thing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I find it puzzling that the ESRB is Rating Pending. This is usually the rating for stuff pre-production. As you get closer to launch, the actual rating is usually established. Also, Nintendo is so well versed in ESRB, they likely already know what rating is going to get approved based on the content of the game, so they could probably put the correct rating on first party Nintendo games in marketing materials even before they are approved 

• Like 1

Your's looks like it's in really nice shape. You can check Pricecharting for an (incomplete) value comparison. I've not been having great luck getting old eBay auctions to show their pictures, so take those prices with a grain of salt...

https://www.pricecharting.com/game/gameboy-advance/super-mario-advance-not-for-resale

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

So any conclusions on what it's potentially worth?  A friend of mine just got one today or yesterday in great shape, RP ESRB box and all.  He and I were wondering if any value could be stuck to it to make sure he came out ahead in his deal.

I seem to remember F-Zero being the demo game at GBA kiosks when GBA launched. I believe this Mario game was also one of the launch titles, but wasn’t as impressive as F-Zero for showing off the new system.

I would imagine there are less demos versions of this game than F-Zero since they were both competing for the kiosk at the same time. But rarity is often trumped by mass appeal and people sure do like to collect Mario stuff 

• Agree 1

And that's the problem right there, whether it's low dollar or overly high dollar stuff in generalities here, whatever the generation feelings can override value, and in some cases the value still kicks the feelings to the curb.  A decade ago you'd see like a VGA 95+ SMB3 sealed up vs a sealed up Stadium Events, you knew which would get the big bucks...value kicked feelings(love of mario) into the dirt.  But now feelings are overriding value in a toxic way that feelings make price even worse than what should be the worst such as with that asinine SM64 sealed game going over 7 figures, N64's more common title ever.  The only thing on N64 more common with an array of pins is the jumper pack.