• Lil Nas X - "Industry Baby"
    • Britney Spears - "Baby One More Time"

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

11 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

1112. I completely agree with @mbd39 on Billy Corgan. I can't stand his voice either.

11 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

Same.  Billy is a whiny little &!*@#.

Bah! His voice was more fitting in their earlier albums but as the ambition of the instrumentation of albums like Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness increased, his vocals fit less and less.

I will concede though, people tend to generally be in two camps--those that hate Billy's voice and those that generally can tolerate it.

Corgan is a musical genius and I think that with the vocals he was a born with, he did a really good job making them work with the music he was creating.  However, yes, it is quite often a very whiney voice.  It's no secret I'm a big fan and I'd certainly put Smashing Pumpkins in my top 5 list of bands of all time. 

Criticisms of his voice aside, I also can't imagine much of their music without his voice and replaced with a stronger vocalist.  It's kind of like a really good song that makes use of an out of tune piano.  It shouldn't work, but it does.  It's not that bad pianos sound great, but rather in some mixes with some performances the imperfections add to the overall quality, rather than take away. 

In albums like Gish and Siamese Dream, I both hear the issue with the vocals but I also can't imagine the music without Billy at the lead "whining" away.

43 minutes ago, RH said:

Bah! His voice was more fitting in their earlier albums but as the ambition of the instrumentation of albums like Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness increased, his vocals fit less and less.

His voice is best when it takes a back seat to the music. When it's front and center like in Tonight Tonight the ugliness stands out. It's not even a good kind of ugly like Bob Dylan, it's a "I don't want to listen to this" kind of ugly.

Edited by mbd39

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, RH said:

And yet 1979 made it all the way to the finals last time.