IGNORED

Game Debate #125: Super Metroid

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

5 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Is this the code that bricks your NES😱

I thought this was the code that gives you a bunch of overpowered stuff. To my knowledge it does not fit the correct format of Metroid passwords, so it was deliberately created in development. There are other codes that crash the system though

4 minutes ago, Ankos said:

I thought this was the code that gives you a bunch of overpowered stuff. To my knowledge it does not fit the correct format of Metroid passwords, so it was deliberately created in development. There are other codes that crash the system though

BUT, does it fill your health bar tho... 

On 11/2/2022 at 1:54 PM, PII said:

At the time I was looking to use the Gg to try and correct what I felt was a poor factor in the programing (how bout half a life bar?) in order to alleviate, again what I felt, was an unusual degree of "time-consuming-beginning- the-game-boredom", which is technically cheating, but not quite the same thing as using a save state every ten seconds.  The former is a tweak.  The latter is a challenge demolishing game wrecker.  It wasn't so much that I wanted the game to be easier, per say; I just wanted to eliminate the need for endless farming so I could get on with actually playing the game.  Imagine popping in Dragon Warrior or something similar and having to farm gold and exp. for an hour or two before being able to buy a weapon, advance a stat level, or do pretty much anything.  I'd rather the program were simply, 3 hits yer dead even though that seems excessive for a game of Metroid's size and scope, because at least that way I know where I stand and there's no temptation to stand around farming.

Anyway, I don't think you're insane.  Using save states wasn't bad advice to toss out there, just not how I was looking to go about things.  

With all this Metroid talk it'll be tough for me to forget about it anyway, so maybe the time to simply Git Gud will soon be at hand.  🙂 

I beat the original Metroid back in the day, so there's that.  I liked the lost feeling and almost appreciated that death punishes you a little.

Of course you've thought of this, but you have the option to use save states sparingly.  No need to use them "every ten seconds."  Saving at a reasonable point when you have full health, then playing for a while and only using the save state to save you the time to grind for health again falls more on the correction than cheat side.  I remember playing original Metroid again in recent years (I've played it a lot) and made some sort of rule like, "when I get to the bottom of a shaft I can save."  It was something like that.  I think there are natural points where you open up a new area that make sense for a save.  I believe I did it to try and mimic when Super Metroid would have given me a save point and to avoid writing down the code. YMMV

Edited by wongojack