IGNORED

WATA & CGC unveil their new holders at Portland Retro Gaming Expo (Image Dump)

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, inasuma said:

update: turbo takes 3 weeks

the market is dead

Why are people surprised by this?

It's all because of these moron "inverstors and resellers" who started mass grading modern games, and pulling/digging factory sealed packs and old new stock from basements and storges. 

Then they wonder why VGA hasn't done any marketing and aren't interested in the madness Wata and CGC are doing. This market is so niche and was growing slowly until these "inverstors" came in to try and get every last penny from people being lokced down in their houses lol. 

Hopefully, submission prices continue to go down.

Edited by Level99

16 hours ago, FenrirZero said:

And here I am wondering why Wata has given us no updates in regards to their new cases. But it is all good since I can only guess that you'll have to pay a Necromancer fee from here-on-out. 🧟‍♂️

probably no updates because they revealed them way too soon because they're trying to compete with cgc / satiate graded collectors who've been frustrated by wata's case for years (switch games in wata cases are comically oversized).

12 hours ago, Level99 said:

Why are people surprised by this?

It's all because of these moron "inverstors and resellers" who started mass grading modern games, and pulling/digging factory sealed packs and old new stock from basements and storges. 

Then they wonder why VGA hasn't done any marketing and aren't interested in the madness Wata and CGC are doing. This market is so niche and was growing slowly until these "inverstors" came in to try and get every last penny from people being lokced down in their houses lol.

Hopefully, submission prices continue to go down.

it probably isn't clear by my message but i was using hyperbole.

anyway it's well known at this point that as speculators left, prices and activity would drop, and i'm here for it so i can snatch up <$150 high grade late retro/modern titles.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, inasuma said:

probably no updates because they revealed them way too soon because they're trying to compete with cgc / satiate graded collectors who've been frustrated by wata's case for years (switch games in wata cases are comically oversized).

So atop of my drop-off/pick-up questions (as I currently live around 80 miles from Santa Ana), I need to ask them about that. Because I am not a fan of CGC's cases, nor am I fan of any website that requires you to register just to get any grading information. Atop of the fact that I want to keep my collection uniformed while I am still here. 😩

Edited by FenrirZero
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, inasuma said:

it probably isn't clear by my message but i was using hyperbole.

anyway it's well known at this point that as speculators left, prices and activity would drop, and i'm here for it so i can snatch up <$150 high grade late retro/modern titles.

Unfortunately not for me, because there are still some active annoying resellers. Can't get any good deal on auctions because of these parasites. I swear almost all games I wanted I see them listed 2 weeks after on eBay double the price. What's more annoying is that the games sits for years without any buyers, and these parasites still buy more. Like, just fuck off already and go leech somewhere else.

Edited by Level99
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Level99 said:

Unfortunately not for me, because there are still some active annoying resellers. Can't get any good deal on auctions because of these parasites. I swear almost all games I wanted I see them listed 2 weeks after on eBay double the price. What's more annoying is that the games sits for years without any buyers, and these parasites still buy more. Like, just fuck off already and go leech somewhere else.

I wholeheartedly disagree with you. I have won quite a few auctions in the past 4-6 months on graded games at pretty cheap prices. Some for just the cost of grading them.. 

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, retro.magnus said:

I wholeheartedly disagree with you. I have won quite a few auctions in the past 4-6 months on graded games at pretty cheap prices. Some for just the cost of grading them.. 

Was it a known title? or one of those modern (and sometime retro) games that no one heard/care about? I saw a VGA 90+ Octodad on the PS Vita go for about $70 on CL. My point is that many games, sold on both HA and CL end up listed on eBay for double the price. Many of them sold for a premium too, so you either accept the loss, enter a bidding war with a reseller but you end up overpaying, or wait for it to pop up on eBay for double the price. 

I'm not against anyone trying to make money, but it sucks when you end up losing a bid, then realize that a reseller (who probably never cared about the game to begin with) listing it on eBay for a ridiculous fee. 

• 2 months later...

UPDATE: Wata has announced that starting April 24, 2023, all submissions will be returned in the new cases. And that their current/old cases will be a "Legacy Case" option (as seen on the order form).

You can read more about this here: https://blog.watagames.com/2023/04/04/the-new-wata-holder-faq/

Personally speaking, I am fine with this. It curbs my need to submit to VGA, with reasons being that it is a whole lot cheaper to go with their polycarbonate cases than go with VGA's Archival upgrade service.

Especially since my current goal is to collect a few PS3 titles (and maybe complete any series when/if that is possible) that are holding my interest. Even if there is no current "general interest" in that console.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 8:22 AM, retro.magnus said:

Still think that label is such a downgrade. 😑

I want to agree with you, but I have learned that promo sample does not always end up being the final product. Which is why I'm waiting to see the final product before I decide to either go with their "Legacy" cases (it looks to be an option) or just uniform my collection and stick with VGA😅

On 4/19/2023 at 12:10 PM, 3rdStrongestMole said:

Yeah,  it feels like a lot of empty space on the front. I'll probably go Legacy as long as they let me, unless it's gonna cost more. 

the label design does leave a lot of empty space. i think that's more a side effect of the new notation strategy which aims to add much fewer details, but more meaningful details.

that said, if the new case is better in meaningful ways then i'll be happy. the label isn't overbearing like in cgc's case (who TF thought a giantblue label was a good idea)

• Agree 2

Alright. I have six games ready to reholder in the new case design. I'll write about it on my blog but i'll also share some photos after as well, with same size games side-by-side in the old holder.

Any other sizes I should consider? I don't have any Sega or Atari sadly but I'd include those if I did.

2023-04-2313_06_45-WataGames-SubmitAGame-CartMozillaFirefox.png.950fcf38e2c3a4e791a3994bd07af374.png

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, inasuma said:

(who TF thought a giantblue label was a good idea)

No clue. But this is the company that was famous for making decisions that have even ticked off their supporters. 🤣

8 hours ago, inasuma said:

Any other sizes I should consider? I don't have any Sega or Atari sadly but I'd include those if I did.

It's all good on my end. With any luck I'll have my "Walmart" Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations and "Digital Copy Only" DuckTales both submitted and graded before I am gone for six weeks. That way I'll have my two rarest games graded, and you can borrow the images if you need any for your blog. 👍

Plus, I am also interested in seeing how Wata will grade my copy of DuckTales. Mostly because it was sealed differently from the later/standard release. 🤔 Plus I would have considered submitting it to VGA, but I do not have a McDuck Enterprises size budget for the prices they are asking. 🤣

• Like 1